SL Confusion - Many TL for same loans (open and closed)

The last post in this topic was posted 2660 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I hope I explain this so that I don't confuse the people which I am asking help!

Back in 1999 I took out 3 SL's for nursing school. Over the years, I was late (many times), used deferments, and have started repaying a little while back. Yes, lates where because I was an salamander and didn't apply for deferments in time.

Fast forward till my older and wiser (ha) years where getting my act straight and financial mess I created fixed, is top priority.....

My 3 SL's are listed by different lenders multiple times as they were sold or transferred. I understand they would be as it is a TL when I was with them however, they are all listed under both Open and Closed with all lenders. I would expect the previous lenders would be only listed as closed.

OPEN

3 SL's are currently being repaid to Nelnet and listed as open accounts on my CR. (new account numbers)

1 SL with lender "MAE" are reported as Open - Pays as agreed - Deferred - Last reported 2008 (old account number matching closed account number)

2 SL's with lender "S&B Savings" are reported as Open - Pays as agreed - Last reported 2005 (old account number matching closed account number)

CLOSED

3 SL's with lender "FAME: are reported as Closed - Pays as agreed - Last reported 2011 (old account number matching MAE and S&B open account number)

3 SL's with lender "Nelnet" are reported as Closed - Paid and Closed - Last reported as 2011 (old account number matching MAE, S&B open accounts as well as FAME closed accounts)

Will or does this hurt me in anyway? They all have late pays tied to them except with the MAE & S&B open accounts.

We will be going for a home loan in Sept. 2014 and I need to get my CR cleaned up otherwise, we don't have a prayers chance in heck of getting a home loan.

Not sure how I can handle the baddies on the Nelnet Open accounts either as I doubt a mortgage lender is going to like that one bit.

If I could only turn back the clock!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just let them age off - some people would recommend that you write a goodwill letter; however, there is no guarantee that it will work as the servicers are reporting your credit status legally and accurately based upon your past and I know this past individual is not you today - you are much more wiser today!

This credit board has a lot of great information on how to rebuild credit - check out the board!

• 3 weeks later...

Dang it! My pasted word table didn't come out correct!! Ugh... to type all that out again. I'll post again when I am done.

I sorted the mess into a spreadsheet trying to wrap my head around it instead of flipping through pages. In doing so, I realized the student loans stating opened in Sept 2007 are news to me. I wasn't going to school during that time at all. My last year in school was 2001! Holy cow.. how did I ever miss that? And to further make myself feel like an salamander... I've been paying it with Nelnet!! My head must have been really deep in the sand.. shocked I didn't suffocate!! I certainly won't stop paying for it until it gets resolved.. don't need another negative TL on the fabulous credit report (not).

I would really appreciate help on this. Please, pretty please take a peek and provide some guidance on how to handle all these tradelines on what should be 2 student loans.

• Loans listed as open under ME Advantage & S & B Sav are not open accounts. However, they state paid as agreed with no lates but, they do say deferred. Should I leave those alone?
  • Lovely Nelnet.... The accounts listed under closed accounts have fake payments (never made a single payment). They also started a new tradeline by creating new account numbers when closing these. How do I dispute? Can they just create new account numbers?
  • Lovely Nelnet... I tried to GW them asking to remove the lates from the open accounts to no avail. Doesn't matter they had back dated forbearances or not. Oh well.. my fault for not applying in time.
  • I do have to call up all the lenders (starting with the first) regarding the Sept 2007 loans and ask them where the heck those came from.

Thanks in advance for any help you are willing to give!

Edited by SharpAsAMarble

Here is the breakdown:

Accounts Listed as Open:

ME Advantage (this isn't open) - I don't know where this came from?? I wasn't in school then and hadn't for years.

Acct # 3X

Date Opened: 9/2007

Date Reported: 2/2008

DOFD: N/A

High Credit: 3500.

Terms Frequency: Deferred

Balance: 0

Past Due: 0

DOLA: N/A

Months Reviewed: 3

Type of Loan: Education

S&B Sav (this isn't open)

Acct # 9X-1

Date Opened: 10/1999

Date Reported: 5/2005

Scheduled Payment: $50.

High Credit: 3938.

Terms Frequency: Monthly

Actual Payment: $50

DOLA: 5/2005

Months Reviewed: 20

S&B Sav (this isn't open)

Acct # 9X-2

Date Reported: 5/2005

Scheduled Payment: $62.

High Credit: 5483.

Actual Payment: $62

DOLA: 5/2005

Months Reviewed: 20

Nelnet (this is open) I don't know where this came from. I hadn't been in school for years. However, I didn't realize these until digging in and creating the spreadsheet and have been paying it!!

Acct # 13-1

Date Reported: 11/2013

Scheduled Payment: $53.

High Credit: 1750.

Balance: 1865.

Actual Payment: $97

DOLA: 11/2013

Months Reviewed: 27

Delinquency: 1 - 120 days, 3 - 180 days (2012) 2 - 90 days (2011) These are back-dated forbearances they wouldn't remove the lates (it is my fault for not applying in time).

Nelnet (this is open)

Acct # 13-2

Scheduled Payment: $64.

Balance: 2698.

Actual Payment: $64

Delinquency: 1 - 120 days, 3 - 180 days (2012) 2 - 90 days (2011) These are back-dated forbearances they wouldn't remove the lates (it is my fault for not applying in time).

Nelnet (this is open)

Acct # 13-3

Scheduled Payment: $137.

Balance: 5643.

Actual Payment: $137.

Accounts Listed as Closed

FAME I don't know where this came from. I hadn't been in school for years.

Acct # 3X

Date Reported: 3/2011

Scheduled Payment: $52.

Date Closed: 3/2011

Actual Payment:

DOLA: 3/2010

Months Reviewed: 36

Activity Designator: Transfer/Sold

Delinquency: 1 - 30 days (April 2010) 1 - 30 days, 1 - 60 days, 1 - 90 days (2009)

FAME

Acct # 9X-1

Scheduled Payment: $40.

Actual Payment:

Date of Last Payment: 6/2006

Months Reviewed: 57

Delinquency: 1 - 30 days (April 2010) 1 - 30 days, 1 - 60 days, 1 - 90 days (2009)

FAME

Acct # 9X-2

Scheduled Payment: $71.

Actual Payment:

Nelnet I don't know where this came from. I hadn't been in school for years.

Acct # 3X

Date Reported: 7/2011

Date Closed:

DOFD: 6/2011

Actual Payment: 1868. (never paid this)

Months Reviewed: 28

Activity Designator: Paid and Closed (look at the Nelnet open accounts # 13-1 - they just changed the account # and added a new tradeline)

Nelnet

Acct # 9X-1

Date Closed:

Actual Payment: 2864. (never paid this)

Activity Designator: Paid and Closed (look at the Nelnet open accounts # 13-2 - they just changed the account # and added a new tradeline)

Nelnet

Acct # 9X-2

Date Closed:

Actual Payment: 6122. (never paid this)

Activity Designator: Paid and Closed (look at the Nelnet open accounts # 13-3 - they just changed the account # and added a new tradeline)

Accounts Listed as Negative:

Nelnet (this is open) I don't know where this came from. I hadn't been in school for years. However, I didn't realize these until digging in and creating the spreadsheet and have been paying it!!

Acct # 13-1

Scheduled Payment: $53.

High Credit: 1750.

Balance: 1865.

Actual Payment: $97

Nelnet (this is open)

Acct # 13-2

Scheduled Payment: $64.

Balance: 2698.

Actual Payment: $64

Nelnet (this is open)

Acct # 13-3

Scheduled Payment: $137.

Balance: 5643.

Actual Payment: $137.

FAME I don't know where this came from. I hadn't been in school for years.

Acct # 3X

Actual Payment:

Months Reviewed: 36

FAME

Acct # 9X-1

Actual Payment:

FAME

Acct # 9X-2

Actual Payment:

Nelnet I don't know where this came from. I hadn't been in school for years.

Acct # 3X

Date Closed:

Actual Payment: 1868. (never paid this)

Activity Designator: Paid and Closed (look at the Nelnet open accounts # 13-1 - they just changed the account # and added a new tradeline)

Nelnet

Acct # 9X-1

Date Closed:

Actual Payment: 2864. (never paid this)

Activity Designator: Paid and Closed (look at the Nelnet open accounts # 13-2 - they just changed the account # and added a new tradeline)

Nelnet

Acct # 9X-2

Date Closed:

Actual Payment: 6122. (never paid this)

Activity Designator: Paid and Closed (look at the Nelnet open accounts # 13-3 - they just changed the account # and added a new tradeline)

Here are a couple things I am thinking about - hopefully someone will give me their opinion, and also spot other things I may be missing...

Should I start by calling ME Advantage and ask where the 3X account came from? Then, follow up with the others listing the same account?

Can Nelnet close one account and just open another without my signature and post false payments on the closed account?

SharpAsAMarble,

First off, let me say, I feel your pain! I have about 24 SLs reporting on Experian and TransUnion (got Equifax to drop them all as they missed their 30-day response window...I won't tell you how much THAT helped my Credit Score!)--only 2 are current with NELNET, there should be only 12 original SLs listed as closed. But, they are all mixed up...some as closed, some as open pays as agreed, ALL with late payment histories. My problem was initially thinking I was in a grace period when I wasn't, then thinking I was in a deferment when I wasn't. Fast forward to today...

--I have called the Dept of Educ/Sallie Mae and was told that they can see no payment history records since my loans are now all with NELNET. So, you would think that disputing through the Credit Bureaus would yield that they could not verify payment history, right? Wrong, came back validated twice.

--I decided to try to have some accounts removed by showing that there were duplicate TLs for the same account numbers. TransUnion deleted two of the accounts, but the rest remain, some were recategorized as Closed, however, which I guess is good. EXP gave me the finger!

--My next effort is to write directly to the Sallie Mae addresses on the CRs which are reporting negative info and not mention it as a dispute, but to nicely ask that they provide me a summary of my payment history "for my records." Hopefully, they'll send me something that says they are unable to provide the info because they have no record of my payment history; then, I can send that to EXP and TU and hopefully they will have no choice but to delete at least the negative payment history.

One thing to note, I read in the FCRA that there is an exception in the 7 yr reporting for TLs for student loans that allows them to continue reporting until the SL debt is "resolved". However, I think that once the loan is transferred, the old office loses that privilege. Sorry if none of this was useful to you, but, I hope it was better than continuing to get no replies at all :)

SharpAsAMarble,

First off, let me say, I feel your pain! I have about 24 SLs reporting on Experian and TransUnion (got Equifax to drop them all as they missed their 30-day response window...I won't tell you how much THAT helped my Credit Score!)--only 2 are current with NELNET, there should be only 12 original SLs listed as closed. But, they are all mixed up...some as closed, some as open pays as agreed, ALL with late payment histories. My problem was initially thinking I was in a grace period when I wasn't, then thinking I was in a deferment when I wasn't. Fast forward to today...

--I have called the Dept of Educ/Sallie Mae and was told that they can see no payment history records since my loans are now all with NELNET. So, you would think that disputing through the Credit Bureaus would yield that they could not verify payment history, right? Wrong, came back validated twice. How did you dispute with the CRA's? Verify payments?

--I decided to try to have some accounts removed by showing that there were duplicate TLs for the same account numbers. TransUnion deleted two of the accounts, but the rest remain, some were recategorized as Closed, however, which I guess is good. EXP gave me the finger! Ouch.. certainly not good news! I don't know if I should have them close the TL's that are indeed closed but reporting positively as open.

--My next effort is to write directly to the Sallie Mae addresses on the CRs which are reporting negative info and not mention it as a dispute, but to nicely ask that they provide me a summary of my payment history "for my records." Hopefully, they'll send me something that says they are unable to provide the info because they have no record of my payment history; then, I can send that to EXP and TU and hopefully they will have no choice but to delete at least the negative payment history. Hmm, good idea.

One thing to note, I read in the FCRA that there is an exception in the 7 yr reporting for TLs for student loans that allows them to continue reporting until the SL debt is "resolved". However, I think that once the loan is transferred, the old office loses that privilege. Sorry if none of this was useful to you, but, I hope it was better than continuing to get no replies at all :)Thanks a bunch! I really don't know where to start and I certainly don't want to jump in and do something which could bite me in the flowers latter which is why I was hoping someone would chime in.

Sharpie,

You may have overwhelmed some on the board with too much information. As for your questions on my process:

- I told the CRAs that the accounts were reporting incorrectly/inaccurately (I disputed the lack of DOFD, incorrect balance, incorrect payment history, status: open instead of closed)

- Well, recategorizing negative reporting isn't necessarily bad, and, with TU, open accounts show balances that figure into what they report as your overall debt. So, by closing the accounts and having them show as transferred (not sold or charged off), that reduces the overall debt.

I'm by no means an expert on SLs, but, slowly but surely, I'm making headway! Good luck.

Thanks for your reply brodieaa.

Just an update... Because I am overwhelmed myself with all these tradelines for the same 3 accounts. I only tackled the duplicates from Nelnet - I disputed they were the same accounts that are currently listed as open with different account numbers. They were DELETED! I scored a 23 point increase on EQ. I will continue working on the rest "one by one" to keep it all straight. :)

Sharp, I'm in the same situation. I have six loans that are being reported multiple times by three different lenders. The OC (original creditor), plus a loan servicing company, then the six original TL's were sold / transferred to yet another servicer. So six loans X3 companies = 18 negative TL's on my reports.

I don't have a lot of advice for you since I'm also getting started. I was using a credit attorney who got 2 or three of these TL's removed through a plain old dispute with the CRA's, but the majority are still there. I just sent nutcase letters to the OC and the first Servicing company. I also sent a goodwill letter to the current servicing company.

In addition, I also recently consolidated my loans through the fed. government so now only one acct should report, and the most recent 6 TL's show paid in full. I'm not sure that this will help my score but I'm hoping it will.

I sent out my Jack Attack disputes for the other SL TL's last week. I didn't end up going one by one for a few reasons... Jack Attack seems to work well and I'm really tired of looking at those tradelines. :) Not sure they will remove the late payments but hoping since they will as one of my disputes across the TL's was "was in forbearance and no payment was due". So, we will see what becomes of it.

twofilltheheart - I hope you get a score increase after your recent consolidation.

I just sent out very generic, "inquiry"-type letters to all my Student Loan trade lines, CMRRR. Interestingly enough, the same loans have different addresses, depending on the Credit Report I look at. Anyway, my letter was pretty basic, just asking if they can provide me with information on my payment history and any times I've gone 30 days or more past due. I'm hoping to get one of those "we no longer have that information" letters from them, that I can then pass on the CRAs for a deletion request! Hopefully, the non assertive tone will get results. Its a shame that we have to prove TLs are wrong where we are the victims instead of the OCs having to prove that they are right like its supposed to be!

• 4 weeks later...

Still no response on my CMRRRs to the SL trade lines. 30 days is up on Jan 23rd. I'm sending off my CMRRR letters to the CRAs on the 21st (tomorrow), with copies of the letters I sent to Sallie Mae, Dept of Education and Dept of Education/Sallie Mae (2 letters each...one to each address provided by CRAs) in anticipation that they won't respond. I hope this works, although something tells me they have no responsibility to respond at all anyway.

I would think that no response would work in your favor, however I am certainly no expert with the SL's. I have had an easier time understanding CC issues than SL issues... IMO they have been the worst to deal with.

I didn't have any luck with the Nelnet lates. I did however have luck with getting the incorrect reporting of all the other issues by disputing through the CRA's. So, now I just have the 3 loans showing those lates.

UPDATE

Got a call from my Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group (OG) contact. He told me that after speaking with Sallie Mae and presenting them with my military discharge form (DD-214), they agreed that I was eligible for deferment at the time of all of the negative payment history reporting on my Credit Reports. Therefore, they have agreed to remove ALL negative reporting on all my student loans showing on my Credit Reports! Uhhh, can you say ECSTATIC??!! In true Credit Boards fashion, I humbly asked the OG to obtain documentation from Sallie Mae of their agreement to do this and forward it to me for my records. The OG seemed puzzled, saying that his experience has been that they stick to their word. I told him that my experience is that everyone can have 'selective' amnesia and have previously deleted items pop up on the Credit Report later in life. He laughed and agreed to get the documentation. He said Sallie Mae updates at the end of the month and they said to look for the change over the next couple of weeks.

I'll update the board once the baddies or gone and/or when I have the documentation in hand! Sounds like the OG may be the new Student Loan holy grail!

UPDATE

Got a call from my Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group (OG) contact. He told me that after speaking with Sallie Mae and presenting them with my military discharge form (DD-214), they agreed that I was eligible for deferment at the time of all of the negative payment history reporting on my Credit Reports. Therefore, they have agreed to remove ALL negative reporting on all my student loans showing on my Credit Reports! Uhhh, can you say ECSTATIC??!! In true Credit Boards fashion, I humbly asked the OG to obtain documentation from Sallie Mae of their agreement to do this and forward it to me for my records. The OG seemed puzzled, saying that his experience has been that they stick to their word. I told him that my experience is that everyone can have 'selective' amnesia and have previously deleted items pop up on the Credit Report later in life. He laughed and agreed to get the documentation. He said Sallie Mae updates at the end of the month and they said to look for the change over the next couple of weeks.

I'll update the board once the baddies or gone and/or when I have the documentation in hand! Sounds like the OG may be the new Student Loan holy grail!

That's wonderful! Congrats!! :)

The last post in this topic was posted 2660 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.