American Express Joint Account Ownership - NOT AU

cv91915

The last post in this topic was posted 3105 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I want to add SO as a joint owner of one of my American Express cards.

Does Amex do this, or do we need to go the AU route? SO and I are planning to get married, and for immigration/green card/citizenship purposes (SO's not mine :D) we need to show commingling of finances. Seems like joint ownership would more strongly demonstrate that.

http://search.americanexpress.com/app/answers/display/a_id/821/kw/

Does American Express offer joint accounts?

No, we do not offer joint accounts. The primary cardholder of the account is liable for all charges, including any charges the additional cardholders may make.

Did this answer help you? Yes No

Does an Amex AU only see the AU's charges, or all charges on that account? I'd want all charges to be visible since we'll be sharing all of the expenses incurred on this card, and will pay the bill with a joint checking account....

Edited by cv91915

I'm an AU on my wives AMEX card. I think it also helped me get my own AMEX card last week with a 683 FICO. I have my own login in but I can't recall if her transactions show up under my login or not. Actually, I just checked and it only shows my transactions under my login. I imagine it's the same way under her login. Maybe if you got paper statements it might??

Edited by funkiehouse

I used authorized user accounts for my husbands immigration stuff. They don't check your credit reports to see how the trade lines report. I just showed them copies of statements showing charges from both cards and copies of the actual cards themselves.

The primary can see all charges made by AUs.

Each charge has a name beside it.

AUs can only see the charges they made.

However, an AU can pay the account up to the total balance of ALL charges posted.

I don't think even Account Managers can see all transactions, but I've never designated one, so I don't know

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openhome/osbn/landing/ccsg/ccsg_cardmember_faq_new.jsp

However, an AU can pay the account up to the total balance of ALL charges posted.

I don't think even Account Managers can see all transactions, but I've never designated one, so I don't know

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openhome/osbn/landing/ccsg/ccsg_cardmember_faq_new.jsp

Makes sense. Thanks for the update.

Gotcha. Thank you!

I used authorized user accounts for my husbands immigration stuff. They don't check your credit reports to see how the trade lines report. I just showed them copies of statements showing charges from both cards and copies of the actual cards themselves.

My herione!! I was hoping you'd weigh in. :D

We are going to open a joint checking account, a joint savings account, a joint brokerage account and jointly/actively use one of my credit cards for monthly expenses (groceries, restaurants, etc.).

Also... I have been a joint owner on one of SO's credit cards for over a year, and an AU on another for about the same length of time.

Any other suggestions as far as the immigration angle is concerned? The house we live in/will live in is in my name only (I bought it 9 years ago), and neither of us has a car loan or any other debt.

My wife is not on any of my cards even as an AU (she doesn't like or understand credit...yet!). For financials, we used only a copy of our apartment lease and bank statements, nothing else. We didn't have any problems using just that. I doubt you will have a problem with what you already have.

My wife is not on any of my cards even as an AU (she doesn't like or understand credit...yet!). For financials, we used only a copy of our apartment lease and bank statements, nothing else. We didn't have any problems using just that. I doubt you will have a problem with what you already have.

Thanks, mendelssohn. :D

We are going to open a joint checking account, a joint savings account, a joint brokerage account and jointly/actively use one of my credit cards for monthly expenses (groceries, restaurants, etc.).

Also... I have been a joint owner on one of SO's credit cards for over a year, and an AU on another for about the same length of time.

Any other suggestions as far as the immigration angle is concerned? The house we live in/will live in is in my name only (I bought it 9 years ago), and neither of us has a car loan or any other debt.

I was totally paranoid about the whole thing specially since we did an adjustment of status from a visitor. So, I included everything I could possibly think of. ;) I also included proof of him being beneficiary on like my 401k and life insurance policies from work. Also showing that I had him on my health insurance. This is the official list of what I sent from my cover letter document, this was from my removing conditions packet but it was a lot of the same stuff I did for the initial green card:

• Form I-751 Completed and signed;
  • Continuation of I-751 listing prior address;
  • Copy of the green card of husband;
  • Copies of husband's and cputrwz drivers license;
  • Copies of Joint Bank account statement and copies of visa check cards;
  • Letter from cputrwz's employer stating beneficiary information for 401k plan and copy of completed form;
  • Signed life insurance beneficiary form (through cputrwz's employer);
  • Orbitz travel receipt showing joint trip to Denmark in March of 2011;
  • American Express statement showing joint card holders and copies of credit cards; << This was really authorized user.
  • Car insurance verification of coverage statements showing joint insurance (current coverage period and prior);
  • Copy of joint lease agreement with current apartment complex where we reside;
  • Copy of signed joint loan with Navy Federal Credit Union;
  • Copy of joint Mastercard statement with Navy Federal Credit Union and copies of the credit cards;
  • Copy of joint Mastercard with Hooters (Merrick Bank);
  • Copy of Medical Insurance statement and joint medical cards through cputrwz's employer;
  • IRS transcripts of Married Filing Jointly Tax Returns for the years of 2010 and 2009;
  • Picture of husband and cputrwz on honeymoon cruise in 2010;
  • Picture of husband and cputrwz at a restaurant celebrating valentine's day 2011;
  • Picture of husband and cputrwz at a restaurant celebrating wedding anniversary 2011.

If you have any other questions let me know...there is an immigration forum that I frequented during the whole process that helped me out a ton. :)

Edited by cputrwz

I was totally paranoid about the whole thing specially since we did an adjustment of status from a visitor. So, I included everything I could possibly think of. ;) I also included proof of him being beneficiary on like my 401k and life insurance policies from work. Also showing that I had him on my health insurance. This is the official list of what I sent from my cover letter document, this was from my removing conditions packet but it was a lot of the same stuff I did for the initial green card:

• Form I-751 Completed and signed;
  • Continuation of I-751 listing prior address;
  • Copy of the green card of husband;
  • Copies of husband's and cputrwz drivers license;
  • Copies of Joint Bank account statement and copies of visa check cards;
  • Letter from cputrwz's employer stating beneficiary information for 401k plan and copy of completed form;
  • Signed life insurance beneficiary form (through cputrwz's employer);
  • Orbitz travel receipt showing joint trip to Denmark in March of 2011;
  • American Express statement showing joint card holders and copies of credit cards; << This was really authorized user.
  • Car insurance verification of coverage statements showing joint insurance (current coverage period and prior);
  • Copy of joint lease agreement with current apartment complex where we reside;
  • Copy of signed joint loan with Navy Federal Credit Union;
  • Copy of joint Mastercard statement with Navy Federal Credit Union and copies of the credit cards;
  • Copy of joint Mastercard with Hooters (Merrick Bank);
  • Copy of Medical Insurance statement and joint medical cards through cputrwz's employer;
  • IRS transcripts of Married Filing Jointly Tax Returns for the years of 2010 and 2009;
  • Picture of husband and cputrwz on honeymoon cruise in 2010;
  • Picture of husband and cputrwz at a restaurant celebrating valentine's day 2011;
  • Picture of husband and cputrwz at a restaurant celebrating wedding anniversary 2011.

If you have any other questions let me know...there is an immigration forum that I frequented during the whole process that helped me out a ton. :)

Awesome list!!! Thank you so much. We recently started to put together a more exhaustive list of things to assemble, but this is a HUGE jumpstart!!

Where can I find the immigration forum?

The last post in this topic was posted 3105 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.