Sought debt verification. Now what?

throwaway6310

The last post in this topic was posted 3875 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere but I didn't see it in the FAQs.

So I have an old account on my credit report that appears to be well past the statute of limitations (last account activity was 2005). I sent a letter seeking verification from the collection agency and they sent copies of the original contract and all activity on the account. Nothing past 2005 there either. But they seem to think that I should still pay. I can't seem to find any advice online about what to do next and I don't want to reactivate this account by negligence.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to CreditBoards, if you are sure it is past the SOL in your state, tell the CA to take a flying leap off a bridge; they can't legally file a lawsuit and win. Dear CA, Any alleged debts I may have had would be past the state SOL for filing a lawsuit. this is a refusal to pay any alleged debt. Do not contact me again. Or you could look for discrepancies in your credit report and pick them apart in hopes they will remove the negative tradeline, See 1-2-Punch and the Jack Attack

Not to mention, if its from 2005, and no payments have been made since then, it should no longer be on your report. Max time it can be listed is 7 years 180 days.

Verify the DoFD. If its beyond 7 years, dispute with the CRAs as obsolete. Then follow up with a C&D letter ar Sandscrit recommended.

Hello and welcome to CreditBoards, if you are sure it is past the SOL in your state, tell the CA to take a flying leap off a bridge; they can't legally file a lawsuit and win. Dear CA, Any alleged debts I may have had would be past the state SOL for filing a lawsuit. this is a refusal to pay any alleged debt. Do not contact me again. Or you could look for discrepancies in your credit report and pick them apart in hopes they will remove the negative tradeline, See 1-2-Punch and the Jack Attack

:good:

Not to mention, if its from 2005, and no payments have been made since then, it should no longer be on your report. Max time it can be listed is 7 years 180 days.

Verify the DoFD. If its beyond 7 years, dispute with the CRAs as obsolete. Then follow up with a C&D letter ar Sandscrit recommended.

Correct.

in any of the CA letters did they mention that the account is so old that they cannot sue you for this?

wait on the FOAD letter - dispute this thru the CRA's as being obsolete for reporting purposes first.

if the CA verifies, then send a ITS letter for FCRA violations in addition to FDCPA violations

The last post in this topic was posted 3875 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.