CC purchase "Ask for ID"

The last post in this topic was posted 2667 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

It is my understanding that this is a violation (or at least it used to be) of the agreement with Visa/MC etc.

I tried Google, & it was mostly 2+ year old articles I found.

I have a problem with my Boss implementing this policy @ the agency I work for, & I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to show that this should not be allowed.

Is the Signature on the back of the card still the only thing that should be reviewed? Or can/should we now "demand" ID for large purchases on a CC?

Thanks!

Edited by Ready2Rock

I personally would be happy if they asked for ID. But I very rarely get asked. I have even signed my cards with a sharpie with " Ask for ID" Does not make a difference 99.9% of the time. I guess the majority of folks would prefer to not have to do it. It would set my mind at ease if my CC's were to be lost or stolen, but that's just me :)

The first two reasons that are potential fraud indicators are:

1. Purchase a large amount of merchandise without regard to size, style, color, or price.
  2. Ask no questions on major purchases.

This is a pretty typical pattern for me. I have no sense of style and I don't ask questions since I usually know what I'm buying better than the store assistant.

The first two reasons that are potential fraud indicators are:

1. Purchase a large amount of merchandise without regard to size, style, color, or price.
  2. Ask no questions on major purchases.

This is a pretty typical pattern for me. I have no sense of style and I don't ask questions since I usually know what I'm buying better than the store assistant.

:D

I know that some people get really $h!tty when asked for ID and cite (correctly) the merchant agreement that the store has with the card issuer network. Regardless of who's right and who's wrong, I really don't have the time in the day, or the burning desire, to argue as I pay for $11 worth crap at Rite Aid (or wherever).

The way I figure it, life balances out. I exceed the speed limit almost every second I'm on the freeway, and rarely get cited and fined. :angel: I win that one.

I worked as a bank teller many years ago, and could do cash advances on credit cards for customers. We had to ask for ID every time, even for regular customers. No sense in getting mad at store employees over an ID policy - they don't make the rules. And better that they ask for an ID, than let someone use a possibly stolen credit card.

Edited by RedHairedLady

I know that some people get really $h!tty when asked for ID and cite (correctly) the merchant agreement that the store has with the card issuer network. Regardless of who's right and who's wrong, I really don't have the time in the day, or the burning desire, to argue as I pay for $11 worth crap at Rite Aid (or wherever).

The way I figure it, life balances out. I exceed the speed limit almost every second I'm on the freeway, and rarely get cited and fined. :angel: I win that one.

It personally doesn't bother me if I'm asked. Radio Shack so far is the only place that will ask and will actually look at the signature panel. Walgreens also asked when I bought a gift card with a credit card. It was just this one woman who had never seen me before; the other people never asked for it.

My Capital One credit card has my picture on the front, and I still get asked for my ID. Seriously???

Several years ago, I had a Citi credit card with both my picture AND my signature on the front, and I would still get asked for ID. wtf

The last post in this topic was posted 2667 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.