Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

New Car Dealer Survey

The last post in this topic was posted 2545 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

DH & I recently bought a new car. A friend mentioned that her mom worked for a dealership that sold one of the cars we were looking at, so I gave her call and we worked out a deal.

DH & I still have some credit issues so my mom was co-signing but they still had to look around to find a bank to finance us.

My friend's mom was fantastic - spent a good amount of time with us, did a lot of leg work, showed us all the features in the car, etc. But the finance person? What a witch. She was rude, acted like they were doing us a favor by "letting" us buy a car from them, spoke to my 80-year old mother like she was feeble-minded, and acted offended when I asked for more time to read one of the sheets that we were being asked to sign. To be honest, if the salesperson wasn't my friend's mom I would have walked out on the deal.

My friend's mom did mention that this woman didn't normally work at that dealership, she was just there for training. I thought "Good thing, because if she did, I wouldn't recommend this place to ANYONE, and I'd never come back here."

When Kia sent me the new-car survey to take, it had two parts - the sales experience and the finance experience. I praised my friend's mom to no end, and was very honest about our finance experience.

Roughly a month after I bought the car, I received an email from my friend saying "How are you? Is everything okay with the car?" I said "Yes, we love it! Why?" She said "Oh, my mom was upset because you gave her a bad survey. I thought something was wrong." I replied that I had lavishly praised her mom, but the finance person was rude and condescending, and I thought that, if she was in training, the dealership needed to know that. She said "Yeah, well, those surveys just affect the salesperson." I apologized and asked if there was anything I could do, and she just said "No, it's too late now."

And yep, not a word from her since. Also no contact from the dealership or Kia to say "Oh, so sorry for your experience!" Part of me feels like the salesperson had no business sharing this with her daughter, that her daughter should have stayed out of it, and it's not my fault that the salesperson is penalized because the finance person was an azzhat. And part of me wonders if *I* was out of line and should be apologizing.

Any thoughts?

Oh, yeah - long time no see. Hi everybody! :grin:

Your survey response just destroyed the salesperson's rating they are required to maintain. In our stores it is tied to their payplan.

Wow, that sucks - and seems totally unfair!

The finance person really was horrible. I work in customer service and so I am always willing to cut people a lot of slack, but when I ask for a few more seconds to look at something and am told "Wow, that form is really simple - what is it you're not understanding?" in a tone suggesting I'm a complete salamander and irritating her beyond belief, that's unacceptable.

Nothing I can do?

Your survey response just destroyed the salesperson's rating they are required to maintain. In our stores it is tied to their payplan.

That surprises me, based on the info that the survey was broken into 2 parts.

If part 1 - related to sales - is glowing and happy, why should part 2 - which is related to finance - have an affect on the salesperson's rating?

If they're going to do that, why break it up into parts at all? That's misleading to the consumer filling out the form; it's not uncommon to have one part of the experience be amazing and the other to be horrible.

Why not write the owner of the dealership and cc the head of Kia corporate for your area? I did that with Honda back in the late 80's and while the situation was a little different, concerning repairs, Honda corporate stepped in personally and dealt with the bad dealership and set me up with another one, and I ended up getting my car repaired for free and a check from Honda Corporate to reimburse me for rental fees.

Those surveys are a joke anyway. Everyone knows that the sales people typically beg and plead for a good score. Fun fact: if you beg me for a good score, you won't get one. If you do your job well, you will.

I think its too bad that the finance experience falls onto your friend's mom but what is the alternative? To lie? To not let people know you were treated badly? How does that help anything?

That surprises me, based on the info that the survey was broken into 2 parts.

If part 1 - related to sales - is glowing and happy, why should part 2 - which is related to finance - have an affect on the salesperson's rating?

If they're going to do that, why break it up into parts at all? That's misleading to the consumer filling out the form; it's not uncommon to have one part of the experience be amazing and the other to be horrible.

I agree We have unsuccessfully argued that point for many many years with all manufacturers.

When a customer marks anything other than straight 5's on the survey, the manufacturer will really punish the dealer. Which will naturally fall on the salesman's head since he's the low man.

Yeah, I really felt put on the spot - in retrospect I wish I had just given a "perfect" survey and then sent a letter to the dealership regarding the finance person. It's really a terrible thing for the manufacturer's to do - it's like when I waitressed and got a poor tip because the kitchen screwed up an order or took their time getting it out.

Dawnie, it isn't really the manufacturer at fault here - it is the dealership. They know the survey results and chose to punish the salesman instead of finance for the bad behavior by finance.

Yeah, personally I'd still send a letter to the dealership with the manufacturer CC'd. Explain the situation: saleswoman was AWESOME, finance was a mouse. That you don't deal with salespeople or dealerships who treat their customers or salespeople unfairly. And that, as it sits now, you just can't recommend them because of their unfair practices. Or, knowing me, I'd simply walk in there and ask to speak with someone in person about it, after already sending a letter to Kia. I'd nip in the bud right away and make your friend and her mom know that she did nothing wrong. If nothing comes of it, simply contact Kia again and tear the GM of the dealer to shreds.

I think ALL the finance people are pushy. A good sales experience goes bad the moment the finance person walks in the door. I think it is this way by design. (to help the dealership get a little more money out of the buyer).

I have am usually the one that handles the car buying, with my first car being the exception (my father walked me through the process...and even it was a pain when the finance person changed the terms of sale - we walked out)

My last car purchase was a dream. I have never had anything go so smoothly. I think a lot of that is that we already had our financing before walking into the dealership (through DH's credit union) I think it also helped that we went through the internet sales office (and by chance that we drove by on the Sunday evening before and were able to look at a couple of the cars while the place was closed - of course, that only works if the dealership has an open lot) and knew the exact vehicle we wanted.

My last car I bought, sales was great but finance was a jerk. I told him I didn't like the interest rate and he told me I was making him look bad by forcing him to negotiate.

Hon, as if I care if you look bad because I asked for a better rate.

When I was dealing with the financial guy, I came about half a heart beat from saying "look, lojack, extra waranties, special services and arrangements... you can tack on all the crap you want if you think it will earn you some extra money, but I have already arranged the price I'm paying, so what ever else you add in is included in that price."

As it was the guy just kept getting more and more pissed off because he kept sticking things under my nose to try and jack the price up and I just kept saying "nope. nope. nope. nope. nope. I'll think about it and call you back to say nope."

Yeah, personally I'd still send a letter to the dealership with the manufacturer CC'd. Explain the situation: saleswoman was AWESOME, finance was a mouse. That you don't deal with salespeople or dealerships who treat their customers or salespeople unfairly. And that, as it sits now, you just can't recommend them because of their unfair practices. Or, knowing me, I'd simply walk in there and ask to speak with someone in person about it, after already sending a letter to Kia. I'd nip in the bud right away and make your friend and her mom know that she did nothing wrong. If nothing comes of it, simply contact Kia again and tear the GM of the dealer to shreds.

This...and maybe toss in a BBB complaint for good measure... :grin:

Dawnie. You have already made your feelings known. It's not your fault that dealerships handle surveys the way the do. I wouldn't pursue any farther because you could jeopardize the. Salesperson's job

Thanks Marv - after this I contacted my friend and apologized profusely. She was very gracious and said to not worry about it - her mom understood because no one at the dealership likes the finance person but the GM won't do anything about it.

The last post in this topic was posted 2545 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.