Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

The last post in this topic was posted 2599 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I just came back from a month's long vacation in Europe and had a few questions in regards to FEF. I will be returning before the end of the year and wanted to prepare myself for the next trip.

I used my Amex Platinum everywhere that I could to take advantage of their no FEF offer and it worked out great. I checked the transactions after confirming the exchange rate at the time of purchase and they literally don't charge anything at all. So if the exchange rate was $1.34 per Euro that day, that's what I paid. Unfortunately, American Express was not accepted in too many places. So I was forced to use a VISA in these location. When it came to my Capital One Platinum Venture card, their no FEF policy was obviously an advertising gimmick. The exchange was heavily adjusted in their favor. So while there was "No Foreign Exchange Fee", I was still paying about ~4% in the currency exchange.

Does anyone know of a VISA or Mastercard that adopts the same exchange rate and no FEF policy as Amex Platinum?

Thanks in advance.

I can only speak about 3 different website I have ordered from. While using a capital one based mastercard, I never paid a FEF.

I used my Citi Hilton Honors Reserve for my recent trip to French Polynesia and there was no FEF.

I also brought along my PenFed cards as back up but didn't use them.

The last post in this topic was posted 2599 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By desibaaba
      Thank you Credit board members for a wealth of information.

It's time to say good bye.
      Relieved after closing accounts.

Merrick Bank ( July 2008) Limit: 1650 Annual Fee 96.00
      Merrick Bank ( Hooters Card) ( Sep 2008) Limit: 1100 Annual Fee: 96.00
      Capital One ( Feb 2009) Limit: 1000 Annual fee: 39:00
    • By Mothergoose24
      *Disclaimer: typing with my iPad, so I apologize for errors!

Today while doing my daily pulls I noticed something Imtersting.

A little back story first. I received a letter stating that Navient who I never heard of was buying my loans, but nothing else would change. I received that letter probably six months before the switch. Well, soon after the switch, I log on to my new navient account only to find that half of my loans are gone. I then get another letter a week later stating the Nelnet has purchased half of my loans. I was pretty mad considering Sallie Mae said nothing else would change, so did Navient. I didn't know anything of this until after it happened. So after being aggravated, I just decided to deal with it, set them all up for auto pay again, and forget about them.

Well, today I login to find that during the switch my Navient loans were closed and new Nelnet loans were reporting, but the new Nelnet loans were reporting with my original loan date, so it added 10 months to my AAOA and also 10 months to my credit length history. Raised my score to the tune of 8 points on my EQ. so essentially it added four new accounts with old 2006-2008 dates

The second odd thing was my capital one card that I got during college (my first cc) which only had a limit of $500 was bumped to $2000. I asked for a CLI last year and they said no, so I called and asked and they said they wouldn't give me one since I didn't use the car, I complanined saying that I have credit lines of well over 10k and i would never use it with that low of a limit, they still said no. I never login and even check that account, but just so happened to check and boom the AUTO CLI, which seemed odd to me. I may have to use it now a couple times to show them I still care 👍😀

Anyone else have a similar experience with their Student Loans. I'm on the downside and hoping to pay them off this year, but thought that it was interesting how it took place on my CRs. Didn't think they would process like that. My old loans show (Transferred/Sold/Closed.)

INPUT PLEASE?
    • By belairpatrol
      Just past 6 months and interest rate is 22.9%. Will they pull credit report if I ask for lower interest rate?
    • By Quietman
      OMG! Can't believe it worked!

DW applied for 3x CLI, from $9,400 to $28,200, instant approval!

It was on her Amex Blue everyday card.

Her FICO scores:

Exp : 789
      TU : 798
      Eq : 806

Card used lightly over last 61 days, PIF always. She wants to achieve credit pimp status in the next year!!

Thank you fellow CB'ers for all the great advice! (special shout out to BobWang, Ubercat, mendlesshon, HoustonLynne, CV91915, SecretAgentWoman)

• By dilligaf
      Trying to keep it short ...

I have been away for a while. Came back this week to say hi in GD. Started reading around in CF and saw this thread:
      The Master Blacklist Black List Thread – Work In Progress, Help Needed

Now, I haven't applied for an Amex since 2007. Back then, the CO was no longer on my reports. Only denied because of internal blacklist. Not sure when it actually CO'd.

So, I thought WTH. I'll try. Applied for the Everyday card because it looked kind of cool.

FACO on TU is 721. The rest are unknown.

I do have quite a few other cards at this point with about $50k total in CLs ranging from $500 (Target) up to $25k (USAA).

I was approved for $2k. Eh. Not great. But, I am back in. Don't know if that is good or bad yet.

Then I start reading about D*. Hmmm. Better check that out. Click the chat button and ask if I can get my Member Since date set back to my original. Sure Mr. D. Let me look that up for you. Is **** correct? Yes sir, that sounds about right. New date shows online before we finish the chat.

Boom, a brand new CL from 1998.

Once again, thanks CB. You guys are awesome as usual

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Climaxxll
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines