Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

OMG Do I Hate Discover

Walmart.com is on the list.

Why not just buy a $1490 Walmart gift card and be done with it? :P

I don't understand how you know. The promotion started October 1st, and you won't see the 5% until the next statement.

That being said, last year I had several that didn't credit and were fixed automatically on the next statement. One I had to call and got an immediate adjustment.

In the posted transaction list the Amazon.com transaction had a notation that it qualified for 5% cash back. The rest did not.

Are you saying that you have to spend, hope, wait for the statement, audit the statement, and then demand a reconciliation from Discover if they missed something? That's entirely ridiculous and way too much work for $75/quarter.

I don't understand how you know. The promotion started October 1st, and you won't see the 5% until the next statement.

That being said, last year I had several that didn't credit and were fixed automatically on the next statement. One I had to call and got an immediate adjustment.

+1 Especially the AP one??? :huh::dntknw:

Here's how the transactions appear. I blanked out the dollar amounts and certain other transactional data for reasons that only made sense to me at the time. The only charge that says that it's paying 5% is the amazon.com charge.

ScreenShot2013-10-09at74801AM_zps7195276

That is not indicative of ANYTHING. You won't see the credit post until your statement...they just put that on random transactions that qualify (it has always been random for me, not sure if there is a pattern). It is easy to reconcile, especially if you only use Discover for the 5% spending...

That promo ticker shows up randomly, not on every 5% purchase. At least IME.

I'm not shooting the messenger(s) here, but with that said, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time.

They should call their rotating categories "Spend and Then Hope for 5% and Then If It Doesn't Post Call Us and We'll Try to Fix it For You Thirty Days Later" categories.

That is the same as almost every other rewards program...it gets posted at month end.

Maybe, but this is a terrible user experience to only randomly tag some of the qualifying transactions. I just logged in again, and now none of the transactions are identified as qualifying.

This is all database driven based on transactional characteristics so it should be pretty easy to flag transactions appropriately in their GUI. They should tag all that qualify, or none, but NOT some of the transactions, some of the time. It really makes them look like they have no idea how their promotion works.

What if your bank did this with your deposits? How would it appear to you if you didn't know for sure if your direct deposits from your employer were really there until you got your bank statement? Seriously...

:rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

Lovely suggestion.

I think as soon as I'm done bitching about this I'll buy a $1,490 amazon.com gift code and be done with it for 4Q2013, and maybe forever with this #$^% card.

Edited by cv91915

I'm STILL laughing!!! Whew, CV having to spend almost $1,500.00 IN A WALMART STORE?!?!?! :stop::o:blink::wacko::rolleyes::lol:

Lovely suggestion.

I think as soon as I'm done bitching about this I'll buy a $1,490 amazon.com gift code and be done with it for 4Q2013, and maybe forever with this #$^% card.

I think someone might need a nap.

:wave:

:good:

+1

Also, I should change the thread title to:

"OMG I hate Discover and every other credit card that posts points or cash back when your statement cuts", which could be shorted to say "I hate rewards credit cards", which then by extension could be changed to "Hi, I'm Dave Ramsay"

"OMG I hate Discover and every other credit card that posts points or cash back when your statement cuts", which could be shorted to say "I hate rewards credit cards", which then by extension could be changed to "Hi, I'm Dave Ramsay"

It would be nice if CC companies would actually show the reward online immediately. But why stop there, lets make all rewards 25%. :D

It would be nice if CC companies would actually show the reward online immediately. But why stop there, lets make all rewards 25%. :D

The only one of my cards that does is my US Bank Cash+..although they don't post to the account until the statement cuts...

The only one of my cards that does is my US Bank Cash+..although they don't post to the account until the statement cuts...

Isn't there a Chase "trick" to seeing reward, but I think the charge needs to fully post and not be pending?

At least Discover isn't like Amex making you wait until after close of 2nd statement. :rolleyes:

BofA does it with the Cash Rewards card. Shows that its pending and if it qualifies for the bonus on gas station/grocery store.

I WISH Discover would show their rewards in this fashion.

Penfed credits after it appears on your account

PNC, Barlcays, Bank of America, and Capital One also do this and I like it so much better.

This is true...forgot about Penfed, mainly because you have to go to the rewards site...can't be seen from the Penfed main site.

PNC, Barlcays, Bank of America, and Capital One also do this and I like it so much better.

I agree. Not to mix topics (ok, I will anyway) but AAdvantage eShopping has been infallible in tracking credits due from numerous retailers at differing percentage payouts, with only a few days' lag. Returns also post "negative credits" appropriately, and it's very easy to track. I don't even bother watching this very closely anymore because I have always gotten the credit I was due.

This is how it's done right, and it's this kind of trust that engenders loyalty.

This is a stark contrast to the crap I'm seeing with Discover, which tells me maybe I'll get what they promise and maybe I won't.

f08eea8c-319e-4ea5-8e7f-48517450feec_zps

Edited by cv91915

So does NFCU.

Speaking of NFCU, one thing I dislike about their Flagship Rewards is there is no transaction breakdown showing how much a given transaction earned. Yes, I know it is all 2%, but sometimes certain transactions have exceptions, and there is no way to easily see how their rewards total was computed that I have ever found.

You would think it should be that easy...however Discover is not the only one that doesn't show the rewards "real time" (meaning as the transactions post). I have never had an issue with getting the rewards I was due from Discover. Chase on the other hand screwed me more than once on their UR mall. Ideally they would post many details about the transaction like SIC code so you can understand why something got the rewards it did, however you have to realize we are the minority when it comes to chasing down maximum rewards and most people really don't care...so I don't think there is a huge call for it.

OK, my statement closed for just shy of $700.

100% of that was online shopping, yet they credited me $32 and change in the 5% category, which means they disallowed about $50 of spending that should have qualified.

Of course, there's no way to tell by studying the bill to see which "online spending" they disallowed, and instead paid 1%. It DOES appear that the missing Shop Discover rebate I was b!tc#ing was credited this cycle as promised, but of course, there's really no way to know for sure except by making some assumptions on how the "Everywhere Else" bonus was calculated.

Look online. Recent activity, then change the drop down to the correct statement cycle (usually labeled current).

Expanded info about your earned bonus is shown on that screen on the right hand side. It's not transaction level, but it does break it down by which ShopDiscover it was, how much they calculated for online bonus, etc.

I do agree they need a new system for tracking and checking, it's bad. But I have always gotten what I was promised with ShopDiscover.