cv91915

OMG Do I Hate Discover

Mom's Discovery IT Fake Milez card is almost a year old, and so far I've managed to get the limit ALL THE WAY up to $6,700.

Dad tried using his AU card to buy gas near their summer home yesterday and the card was declined.  Other recent purchases nearby worked fine.

This morning he put a $4,900 purchase on the card (approved, but triggered a potential fraud notification, which I cleared immediately so he could use it later in the day.

This purchase would have put them over the limit, so I had to push a mid-cycle payment to cover all of the posted transactions before the new purchase posts and triggers an over-the-limit fee.  🖕

I just put in a CLI request, and the result is below.  Not sure what Discovery hates more, their strong income, healthy assets or perfect credit.

The 100% rewards bonus for the first year ends next month, and they can't wait to get rid of this piece of garbage.  The card is barely tolerable at 3% back, but at 1.5% it's... well... what's 44 steps below worthless?

CREDIT LINE INCREASE REQUEST

At this time, we cannot increase your credit line.

However, you can make another request at a future time. You will receive a letter in 3-5 business days that will detail the reasons for this decision.

Looks like Dad had the audacity to use the card again on his way home.  After the $4,900 they were $10 over the limit.  :lol: 

UpE82x9.jpg

I need the mid-cycle payment to post ASAP.  

Since I moved away from getting cash back in lieu of URs for the most part, I almost never use my Discover card.  Combine that with them removing the Disco deals bonus and it rarely sees the light of day. 

On the CLI front for Discover Miles, The first 3 requests were approved easy-peasy, each one a few days under 90 from the last.  However, with a modestly sub-par $17k CL now (as in, below my average CL), getting another CLI is like pulling teeth.   4 months since my last CLI, and a week since my anniversary date, I’m getting “Insufficient experience with current CL”, despite putting through $6k+ in charges since the last CLI.

Well, The card’s cycled out of my wallet in favor of Chase Freedom Unlimited 3%/4.5% first year cb.  We’ll see what Disco makes of that “experience” going forward.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, cv91915 said:

Mom's Discovery IT Fake Milez card is almost a year old, and so far I've managed to get the limit ALL THE WAY up to $6,700.

Dad tried using his AU card to buy gas near their summer home yesterday and the card was declined.  Other recent purchases nearby worked fine.

This morning he put a $4,900 purchase on the card (approved, but triggered a potential fraud notification, which I cleared immediately so he could use it later in the day.

This purchase would have put them over the limit, so I had to push a mid-cycle payment to cover all of the posted transactions before the new purchase posts and triggers an over-the-limit fee.  🖕

I just put in a CLI request, and the result is below.  Not sure what Discovery hates more, their strong income, healthy assets or perfect credit.

The 100% rewards bonus for the first year ends next month, and they can't wait to get rid of this piece of garbage.  The card is barely tolerable at 3% back, but at 1.5% it's... well... what's 44 steps below worthless?

CREDIT LINE INCREASE REQUEST

At this time, we cannot increase your credit line.

However, you can make another request at a future time. You will receive a letter in 3-5 business days that will detail the reasons for this decision.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:53 AM, cv91915 said:

Looks like Dad had the audacity to use the card again on his way home.  After the $4,900 they were $10 over the limit.  :lol: 

UpE82x9.jpg

I need the mid-cycle payment to post ASAP.  

Here we go again.

YmsMYdi.jpg

If you reach the threshold of $20K, even if your risk is 1%, they will hesitate to increase your credit limit. But, an individual may experience a particular thing in different ways.   :D

Well.

Mom's balance is back up to > 85% of the credit limit, so I just went to push YET ANOTHER payment for the full account balance.  

Clearly this high-risk behavior aroused suspicion.

Q0to6gJ.png

The first-year spending bonus match just posted, so

we

are

done

with

this 

horrible

card.

5 hours ago, Lander said:

Not sure there is any need to be getting Disco credit. I will avoid.

The only reason to have them is if you are using a cash back rewards strategy and can utilize the 5% categories each quarter.  It certainly has no use outside of that...even then the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Since I am a masochist I just opened a Discovery Cashback Debit account.

About a week ago I leased a new car, and BMW Financial Services accepts debit cards for lease payments.

This debit card pays 1%, so I should get back ~$102 a year for making my lease payments this way.

What could go wrong?

bc2gjou.jpg

1 ATM transactions, the purchase of money orders or other cash equivalents, cash over portions of point-of-sale transactions, Peer-to-Peer (P2P) payments (such as Apple Pay Cash), and loan payments or account funding made with your debit card are not eligible for cash back rewards. In addition, purchases made using third-party payment accounts (services such as Venmo® and PayPal™, who also provide P2P payments) may not be eligible for cash back rewards. Apple, the Apple logo and Apple Pay are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

11 hours ago, Kat58 said:

Before I opened the account I verified with two people who make BMW lease payments with their Discovery debit card that they are receiving 1% back on the lease payments.

Before I opened the account I verified with two people who make BMW lease payments with their Discovery debit card that they are receiving 1% back on the lease payments.

You are a glutton for punishment.

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 6:17 PM, cv91915 said:

Since I am a masochist I just opened a Discovery Cashback Debit account.

About a week ago I leased a new car, and BMW Financial Services accepts debit cards for lease payments.

This debit card pays 1%, so I should get back ~$102 a year for making my lease payments this way.

What could go wrong?

bc2gjou.jpg

We're off to an auspicious start.

This was for the opening deposit:

Your recent funds transfer for $X on 06/XX/2019 was not processed because a processing error occurred. 

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused. Please click on the Transfers tab to re-schedule your transfer. 

If you have any questions, click on the Help section of the Account Center, reply to this message or call us at 1-800-347-7000. Our 100% U.S.-based customer service team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

And remember, there is so much you can do through DiscoverBank.com: 
-Schedule and manage online transfers 
-Pay bills through our no-fee Online Bill Pay service 
-Update your personal profile 
-Upload documents via Secure Document Upload 

Thank you for choosing Discover. 

Sincerely, 

Tamara 
Discover Bank Customer Service 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
DISCOVER and the other trademarks, logos and service marks used in this e-mail are the trademarks of Discover Financial Services or its respective third-party owners. 
©2019 Discover Bank, Member FDIC

Edited by cv91915

Jeez cv, your time must not be very valuable wasting it with the Discovery Clowns! Opportunity cost and all that, it is not worth $102/year, especially if your monthly BMW lease payments are $850!

41 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Jeez cv, your time must not be very valuable wasting it with the Discovery Clowns! Opportunity cost and all that, it is not worth $102/year, especially if your monthly BMW lease payments are $850!

Rewards are doubled through the end of the year, so we are talking about (6 * 849.62 * 0.02) + (29 * 849.62 * 0.01) = 348.34 over the term of the lease.  

So far I've invested about 5 minutes, if you don't count the time I've wasted here complaining.

25 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Rewards are doubled through the end of the year, so we are talking about (6 * 849.62 * 0.02) + (29 * 849.62 * 0.01) = 348.34 over the term of the lease.  

So far I've invested about 5 minutes, if you don't count the time I've wasted here complaining.

I actually considered doing this to pay my rent for the next 6 months as you can pay via their online portal with debit for a flat $7.95 fee which would net me around $350 for the rest of the year (I won't be renting after that) 

But then I remembered I'd be dealing with Discover, and their incessant quirkiness, and decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I wouldn't think to count your time here on the subject ... it's far too apparent that it's a remarkably cheap investment yielding some terrifically satisfying angst ;)

< I fantasize about a circuit-blowing moment for cv ... an announcement that PenFed is acquiring Discover Card ... >

Edited by hdporter
stick the knife in a little deeper

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

< I fantasize about a circuit-blowing moment for cv ... an announcement that PenFed is acquiring Discover Card ... >

This is a fun game...think of what would drive CV over the edge.  A couple quick ones:

- Discover becomes the new partner card for AA.

- CV's employer adopts a new travel card policy requiring him to fly Southwest

- Mandatory in-person 2 week company meetings in Florida in July 

This is a fun game...think of what would drive CV over the edge.  A couple quick ones:

- Discover becomes the new partner card for AA.
 - CV's employer adopts a new travel card policy requiring him to fly Southwest
 - Mandatory in-person 2 week company meetings in Florida in July 

Wouldn’t the second cancel out the first for business travel?

Funnier would be

NFCU offers Marriott Bonvoy Global Elite card with better benefits. :-)

24 minutes ago, credit_help said:

Wouldn’t the second cancel out the first for business travel?

Funnier would be

NFCU offers Marriott Bonvoy Global Elite card with better benefits. 🙂

They were independent thoughts...

I am sure if I were to spend some time combing through the 375 page thread on things that annoy in the GF I can come up with a hell of a scenario.

They were independent thoughts...

I am sure if I were to spend some time combing through the 375 page thread on things that annoy in the GF I can come up with a hell of a scenario.

:-)

Up until a couple of weeks ago Discovery still had our California address on file, so before I applied for the Discovery Debit account I changed the address to the Mud Hut, to make sure the opening materials were sent to the right place.

I just got back to our place in San Diego, and look what was waiting for me in the mailbox...

EetMMn5.jpg