cv91915

OMG Do I Hate Discover

My first Shop Discover purchase failed to give me cash back credit: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=518247. So far I haven't had the strength to try to contact them about this and track down an amount less than three dollars. This should just work...

Now I've taken the damn card out of the sock drawer one more time to get 5% for online shopping. YES, I registered for the 5% promotion.

So far:

6920cfa0-78b3-4a18-9c4a-7a683eb31922_zps Amazon.com gift card, purchased directly from Amazon - Qualified

9ebb3dc2-e060-4261-9288-6b6f8a413e40_zps Chefs.com purchase - Does not qualfiy

9ebb3dc2-e060-4261-9288-6b6f8a413e40_zps Soap.com purchase - Does not qualify

9ebb3dc2-e060-4261-9288-6b6f8a413e40_zps Overstock.com purchase - Does not qualify

9ebb3dc2-e060-4261-9288-6b6f8a413e40_zps Amazon Payments (for purchase made from Amazon.com) - Does not qualify.

This card is a #@$^@%^$ joke.

Edited by cv91915

Interesting. I have never had issues with SD...I can maybe understand the Amazon payments (not that I agree, but at least I can kinda understand that one because that isn't necessarily online shopping, even though you were using it as such). The other ones make no sense. Did you call and ask why? Only thing I can think of is if you either didn't link directly from their site, or you used an additional promotion (like a coupon code) - although I have done this before without issue.

Interesting. I have never had issues with SD...I can maybe understand the Amazon payments (not that I agree, but at least I can kinda understand that one because that isn't necessarily online shopping, even though you were using it as such). The other ones make no sense. Did you call and ask why? Only thing I can think of is if you either didn't link directly from their site, or you used an additional promotion (like a coupon code) - although I have done this before without issue.

Set aside the Shop Discover matter... I've already written that off and will never use the program again, unless I need to purchase something from a retailer who participates with SD and not AAdvantage eShopping.

The rest of the purchases should be covered by the 4Q2013 "Online Shopping" category, for which I'm registered. Unless I've missed something pretty major, this "category spending" doesn't require you to click through SD. I certainly didn't do that for the one Amazon.com purchase which did qualify.

I think a lot of it is a matter of how it codes. Maybe they coded as catalog sales or something like that?

I had to send them a message the other day for a shopdiscover problem. They credited it with no hassle and didn't do the Chase thing of scolding me for not doing it right. Don't see why they wouldn't correct this.

Edited by Chupacabras

I think a lot of it is a matter of how it codes. Maybe they coded as catalog sales or something like that?

I had to send them a message the other day for a shopdiscover problem. They credited it with no hassle and didn't do the Chase thing of scolding me for not doing it right. Don't see why they wouldn't correct this.

I only have time to mouse about missing credit, I don't have time to do anything about it. :P

Honestly, I only do this cash back thing for the novelty of it. The money, as my scientist SO would say, is epsilon.

If any of these programs don't "just work", and automatically live up to their promises, I just move on. Honestly, I think it's approaching panhandler territory to call a company to get 29 cents back on a < $6 purchase from Drugstore.com. I'll just take my spending elsewhere.

I've had reasonable luck with the 5% categories and shopDisover... will have to keep an eye on it now that 4Q is here.

Would you mind checking your posted transactions and see how it's going so far in October for you? Or haven't you purchased anything yet?

October snuck up on me and I have still been using my default CSP for Amazon so far this month. :blush2: I'll keep an eye on it going forward though.

October snuck up on me and I have still been using my default CSP for Amazon so far this month. :blush2: I'll keep an eye on it going forward though.

:D

Thanks!

That is nuts! call them and find out what the problem is.

Tweeted.

Waiting.

The awesomeness continues. Via Twitter I was invited to chat about my specifics. I clicked the link provided.

ScreenShot2013-10-09at92928AM_zpsdbb234e

Edited by cv91915

I don't understand how you know. The promotion started October 1st, and you won't see the 5% until the next statement.

That being said, last year I had several that didn't credit and were fixed automatically on the next statement. One I had to call and got an immediate adjustment.

I don't understand how you know. The promotion started October 1st, and you won't see the 5% until the next statement.

That being said, last year I had several that didn't credit and were fixed automatically on the next statement. One I had to call and got an immediate adjustment.

In the posted transaction list the Amazon.com transaction had a notation that it qualified for 5% cash back. The rest did not.

Are you saying that you have to spend, hope, wait for the statement, audit the statement, and then demand a reconciliation from Discover if they missed something? That's entirely ridiculous and way too much work for $75/quarter.

I usually just use fatwallet coupons and cashback...

I use AAdvantage eShopping, but my issues this time aren't with Discover's shopping portal, they're with the quarterly 5% spending category.

+1 Especially the AP one??? :huh::dntknw:

Here's how the transactions appear. I blanked out the dollar amounts and certain other transactional data for reasons that only made sense to me at the time. The only charge that says that it's paying 5% is the amazon.com charge.

ScreenShot2013-10-09at74801AM_zps7195276

Edited by cv91915

In the posted transaction list the Amazon.com transaction had a notation that it qualified for 5% cash back. The rest did not.

Are you saying that you have to spend, hope, wait for the statement, audit the statement, and then demand a reconciliation from Discover if they missed something? That's entirely ridiculous and way too much work for $75/quarter.

Here's how the transactions appear. I blanked out the dollar amounts and certain other transactional data for reasons that only made sense to me at the time. The only charge that says that it's paying 5% is the amazon.com charge.

That is not indicative of ANYTHING. You won't see the credit post until your statement...they just put that on random transactions that qualify (it has always been random for me, not sure if there is a pattern). It is easy to reconcile, especially if you only use Discover for the 5% spending...looks like this:

post-47070-0-38031600-1381340351_thumb.jpg

Edited by CTSoxFan

That is not indicative of ANYTHING. You won't see the credit post until your statement...they just put that on random transactions that qualify (it has always been random for me, not sure if there is a pattern). It is easy to reconcile, especially if you only use Discover for the 5% spending...

That promo ticker shows up randomly, not on every 5% purchase. At least IME.

I'm not shooting the messenger(s) here, but with that said, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time.

They should call their rotating categories "Spend and Then Hope for 5% and Then If It Doesn't Post Call Us and We'll Try to Fix it For You Thirty Days Later" categories.

Edited by cv91915

That is not indicative of ANYTHING. You won't see the credit post until your statement...they just put that on random transactions that qualify (it has always been random for me, not sure if there is a pattern). It is easy to reconcile, especially if you only use Discover for the 5% spending...

That promo ticker shows up randomly, not on every 5% purchase. At least IME.

I'm not shooting the messenger(s) here, but with that said, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time.

They should call their rotating categories "Spend and Then Hope for 5% and Then If It Doesn't Post Call Us and We'll Try to Fix it For You Thirty Days Later" categories.

That is the same as almost every other rewards program...it gets posted at month end.