Sign in to follow this  
breeze

techies - hardware question re monitor malfunction

I have a monitor (not currently in use) that will come on, looks fine, and then turns black, - no display - like it had been turned off. Then I actually do turn it off and turn it back on, it displays, then turns black again immediately. I have gone through elimination procedures such as using it with a different computer, OS, etc etc.

It's flat, older though, the thicker flat monitors that first came out. Anyone know if this is a fixable issue or would I be better off using my money to buy another monitor?

I always give my old stuff away to people who can't afford anything, or I would have another extra.

I am not without a monitor, this is not an emergency. :)

TIA

Breeze. The price has gotten really low on these since they first came out. In my opinion fixing this one would be a no go. Although 150 bucks for a very good monitor may not be in everyones pocket book.

With your computer on, turn the monitor on. Unplug the monitor from your computer, wait a few seconds and plug it back into your computer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

almost sounds like it is overheating. Unless you are really really REALLY fond of this monitor then it is not worth fixing. They are going to charge you $80 to look at it (most places will give you that $80 back if you go with the repair) then parts. You may get lucky and it may only cost $100 but for $150 you get the 23 inch monitor in the post above.

Sounds like something my old monitor was doing. Let me ask you some questions.

First. Does it only do this at first, but if you mess around with it a while it finally starts working? Plugging and unplugging and stuff like that?..

Does it only do this when the computer is on, or will it stay in a stand by mode and only freak out when the computer turns on?

Are you willing to pay about 45 dollars to fix the monitor when you can buy a new garbage monitor for 80 bucks? (yes, you can buy them at that price. Doesn't make them /good/...)

Oh. And does it occasionally "Flash"... Turn on for a second... be fine, then black...then turn of for a second, be fine, then black, turn on for a second, be fine, then black...

Well, anyway. I will be going away from computer for a while so I will just say.

It sounds like your brick is going bad, which happens some times. The voltage flows into your monitor's capacitors and stays there, but if the brick is feeding power intermittently or sub voltage rating it will cause the monitor to turn on, then turn back off when the charge in the capacitors is exhausted. I suggest taking it to a Radio Sack with your brick and monitor, and having them let you try an adjustable voltage brick in the range rated on the one you have. They are use to this kind of thing. See if that gets it working... Conveniently have left your cash in your other purse and tell them you will come back...and order the same brick off Amazon for half of Radio Sack's god awful prices.

Yeah, so I'm not an electrician and probably worded it wrong but the general concept is valid.

Thanks a lot - you have all been a big help. After going through your questions, mentally answering, I think the general consensus is correct - replace it. It's probably not worth the drive to the repair shop. I'll put it in my big box of stuff that has to go to the special dump for electronics and batteries and all. I wish they would pick this stuff up but they don't.

What Echo said-- if it's a two piece system with a "brick" power supply between the outlet and the monitor, it could just be the power supply. If it's a one part unit where the 120V power cord goes all the way up to the monitor, unlikely to be economically repairable.

Let me go look. I didn't comprehend Echo's info. To me brick means dead, no longer usable. :D

Just sounds like the high voltage transformer is going bad if it does come on and turns off. Means the backlight is still good but the circuity to power it is flakey. I have had a few of these at work, we just dispose of them as I have a shelf of 50 more so no loss for me. Typically the part is like 20-50$ depending on the monitor for new ones.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking replace it. I do not have a clue about the electronics.

I had a light bulb base break off in the socket last week, and my brother said "just turn the light off and take needle nosed pliers to get the base out of the socket." My response was "I don't stick pliers into sockets under any circumstances." That's the extent of my knowledge. Don't touch it. When the ancient fluorescent light quit coming on yesterday I put a lamp in the bathroom. :lol: There is another ceiling light in there with a burnt out bulb, but now I'm skeered it'll break off too.

Could always stick a potatoe in the socket to try to turn it out too or something similar but plyers would work if the power is cut to the circuit :) But I know what you mean, electricity is not something that scares me a whole lot if i know something is off and de-energized.

If you don't know which circuit breaker is for the bathroom, turn off the big main breaker to black out the whole house. Then it's generally safe to touch anything electric, unless you have some really wonky wiring installed.

Edited by mk_378

I'll have to get one of those miner's headlamps to see with. Oh well, I've been thinking I ought to have one for when the power is out - way better than a flashlight.

I had the same problem with one of mine. It was a blown converter or something. Fix was to turn the brightness setting way down. As long as they are really low it's fine.

I'll try that!! Thanks for the idea. Keep em coming. I'm on a budget, and will not be buying the replacement for a few weeks. t's the 7th of the month and I think I have $75 spending money in my wallet for the rest of the month. :D

I have one monitor, but I need 2 because I have an old machine that has programs on it I still use. Really. :D

If you don't know which circuit breaker is for the bathroom, turn off the big main breaker to black out the whole house. Then it's generally safe to touch anything electric, unless you have some really wonky wiring installed.

I basically re-wired my house...and still alive...recently my A/C had a leak...I forget about turning off the electric and poking around in there..

Breeze - I just sat out 3 monitors on the sidewalk, older kind....they were gone before the trash collectors could get there

Edited by Islandgal