Hello Again

TxQuiltGirl

The last post in this topic was posted 3419 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Well, it's been a long time for me since I've attempted any credit repair. A short history, for those who don't know me. I came here about this time of the year in 2004, because I wanted to buy a house, be able to finance a car with little trouble and basically get my financial life back in order. And it worked - I did all of that in just a couple of years.

And then Bank of America bought out Countrywide and the trouble started for me.

Years of fighting with Bank of America over payments they said I missed, even though I had proof they had been made. A sudden addition of an escrow account that put me thousands of dollars "behind" with them. The attempts to hang on to the house, and the thousands of dollars spent (about $40k, all told) to try to "work things out" with them. All while my car was repossessed (got it back, though) and credit cards went unpaid. My financial life fell apart, all because I couldn't do anything to appease the monster. Two years ago, I let the house go and I moved on. I wasn't happy about it, but you know, when that last letter arrived that said I owed them another eight grand, I just broke. I'd had it. I was completely done. The house was $140k brand new, the debacle with Bank of America claimed a $165k balance (!!!) on the house, and the house was worth less than $100k, thanks to the bottomed out housing in my particular neighborhood. I begged and pleaded for them to work something out with me, for three years; they refused and claimed I owed them even MORE money. I. Was. Done.

I don't tell this story because I'm looking for sympathy, or even because I want people to understand what happened. But I am not one of those people who got in way over my head with too much credit and slid back into old ways, though I'm sure some folks will believe that was the case. Every single one of my defaulted accounts in some way or another, directly or indirectly, was caused by trying to hold on to a house I had no hope of keeping, because BofA decided they wanted me out of it. Why, I have no idea. But the story is, sadly, a true one, and I'm far from the only person who experienced it.

But now I'm tired of what it's done to my credit, and I need to get back on track. I make good money; I have a nice home, even if it is rented. My husband and I just bought a new vehicle and got financed for it, even though we had to trade in another vehicle for a down payment. I think I can clean up my credit, maybe even repair old relationships, and try to move on a bit. Maybe buy a new house with a big down payment down the road. I have hope.

So I'm back. I'm starting simple ... requesting credit reports, going after the low hanging fruit. Maybe, if I can get OC's to agree, do some PFD's on the smaller balances. Easy stuff at first, as I ease into the credit repair game one more time. For those of you who know me, Hi, it's good to see ya again, though I wish it was under different circumstances. Those of you I don't know, Hello, it's good to meet you. I hope we can travel this road together and get back to where we should be. :wave:

I'll see ya around the forums ...

Quilty

Thanks for the kind words, ya'll.

LKH, I would L O V E to nail them to the wall, but it is so freakin' difficult to get a lawyer to take on a foreclosure case here in Texas, you just wouldn't believe. I have spoken to more of them than I can remember (I lost count around 15) and no one is really interested. Something about the very liberal foreclosure laws here ... they can foreclose after 20 days late, I think, blah blah blah.

At this point, I just want to forget about it and try to get back to a place where I feel good about myself and my finances. I've been so depressed I've stuck my head in the sand - by now all the credit cards that defaulted are well past SOL, so I don't have a LOT of hope for PFD's, but some of them are such small balances and I feel guilty about them (not guilty enough to pay off a CA, though). Circumstances required me to take the path I did, but I really hope it's not too late to undo some of the damage I've done. /sigh

The last post in this topic was posted 3419 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.