New Charge off after years of building good creditd my credit

The last post in this topic was posted 2765 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi,

I had another post up the other day regarding the FNB Omaha Amex. Well I decided to take them up on the pre-approval, but I pulled my credit reports today and BAM!!

CO on all 3 reports for ~$50 final utility bill that never reached me. Was receiving these bills by email, but as soon as I moved & was no longer a customer they apparently stop emailing bills or notices. LOL. Hit me for ~130 points. Unbelievable. 130 Points. I just paid it today & asked utility for some help (Entergy). They said no chance. How bad is this for me? Was on my credit report in July apparently, received FNB of Omaha offer two days ago. Can I assume they saw this? I paid it right off, how many points do you think i will get back? I am perfect payment history for 3+ years on 3 cards. Thanks everyone.

Utility companies are the WORST. Its like they will send or attempt to send one final bill. If NOT paid immediately they place you in collections.

My neighbor was turned over to collections for a final bill of $19.00. They REFUSED to delete the collection even though he paid within 60 days of moving to a new location.

He had no idea he owed the money. He found out by pulling his CR. When he called them and told them he never received a final bill at his old address or new address the CSR said "OH WELL".

He paid it that day but they said the best they could do was notifying the CRA and tell them it was paid.. He then found out that the electric company didn't turn off the power on the date requested. They turned it off 2 weeks later.

They still said there was nothing they could do.

Well good look with that... I am in a similar situation with the phone and utility company. With the phone company I paid in full before I left for Afghanistan and they charged me for one more month. Of course I wasn't notified being deployed and found out about it when I came back home. The utility company was from a last duty station that I didn't know that I still owed on. Both are with a CA. Just waiting on my official credit reports to start putting in some work.....sigh. Oh well. Interested in your outcome. Good luck.

No luck on goodwill via standard email. I guess I expected as much. I am taking this up with the state's consumer protection division & public utilities commission. It does not seem reasonable to me that the utility decided that final bills are snail mail when you subscribe to the ebilling service they always bug you to join or that the rep I spoke to told me I would get electronic notice even after telling her I was moving.

I have been so paranoid about credit. I got all my scores to between 720 -750 depending on usage. It is just ponderous why they would not send me an email notice. My login credential still worked, so it is not like I was purged from the system. Not to mention, why wouldn't they send MULTIPLE notices??

It's because they're not acting in good faith and have very little incentive to do so. Years ago I had a roommate whose name the cable bill was in. Like your story, it was a monopoly situation, if we wanted any cable at all, this was the only company to use and their service was awful from day one.

We personally returned the cable box when he moved out of the area rather than relying on mailing it back. Got confirmation on the spot that the account was settled and nothing was owing.

Well, you know where this is going. They then decide the box has not been returned and bill him for it. He never received the bill, only found out much later when he got a collections call. They admitted it was a mistake by someone at the cable company and that no money was owed. Nonetheless, despite months and months of hassling about it, I don't think he ever got the damage to his score reversed.

I mean what are you supposed to do in that situation? Totally ridiculous.

@iuecon99

I hear what your saying, but I think they do have incentive to do so. The likelihood of someone paying there bills has to be higher the younger the debt is. Now if they just assume everyone is trying to beat them out of their final bill & the only way they can get their attention is a charge-off that is a diff story. Even the CO requires the attention of someone who cares about their credit & someone who cares about it would likely pay it sooner.

This entire bill could have been sorted by simply not shutting off ebilling for the final bill or a SINGLE PHONE CALL. These bastards sent me emails & SMS texts like it was going out of style when my service was connected.

Obviously a mis-informed rep doesn't help.

Edited by credit44

I became aware of the outstanding balance when it it hit my credit reports. Same day logged in online & paid the balance, later in the day a form of goodwill letter was submitted via the customer support contact on their website. Received a canned response back that they could not/ would not remove the info. Replied back that was not acceptable for x,y,z reasons & will take this up with public utilities commission & AG's office of consumer protection. Received a call that afternoon. I had actually sent the complaint to the AG office already. Not sure if they were contacted by AG or if they simply tell their front line people to say no to every request & then respond to those who don't give up.

The last post in this topic was posted 2765 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.