Sign in to follow this  
IvyMgmt

Citibank - best card to get out of BK

I have been laying low applying for credit but now that I got a JCrew last night I would like to try for a few more.. Whats the best citibank card to get or easy to get for those 2 years out of bankruptcy?

I've always heard they are not BK friendly (and blacklist if IIB), but subscribing to see if you find out different. Good luck!

Citi wouldn't give me an Exxon/Mobil gas card 4 years out of bankruptcy. Reason for denial, BK. Wait until the BK clears though, and they'll be all over you with offers if your report is otherwise clean.

Not sure, but I got a pre-screened offer to apply in the mail 1/2013 about 6 years post BK. Got instant approval online for $11.5k Thankyou preferred with 0% BT for 15 months + 0% APR on purchases for 15 months (never had any citi accounts in the past, nor did I IIB them). So perhaps I squeaked in under the radar?

Edited by creditmmax

Citi still won't touch me and I didn't IIB or CO with them. Although I'm not applying for anything until spring earliest right now

It will be interesting to see what happens with my Best Buy Rewards account. This was previously an HSBC account, but they apparently sold this business to Citibank. I filed BK in 2009 and IIB'd a Citibank card.

2 years out is way to early for Citi. Barclays and Capone are game, but I'd wait at least 5-7 years for a Citi app and be prepared to recon at that.

Some people have had success after the 2 year point with their retail cards - especially the gas cards. It is hit or miss.