Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

American Express Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally

Just got appv'd.for Amex Platinum, and was told it'll be D* according to my Green Card (since 1997). Changing jobs, and will be doing a lot of traveling now like I used to back in the 1990s, so, to me, the complimentary access to all USAir Clubs is worth the $450, because the individual membership to the USAir club without status is $450 alone, so, the additional card benefits (Starwood, Priority Pass Select) are nothing but the icing on the cake, because I was going to sign up for the USAir Club anyway. Now, I spend the same amount, and get more amenities.

This is definitely a traveler's card. The benefits are set up for travelers, and if you don't travel consistently, you will not fully utilize the many benefits this card has.

Over the weekend I purchased the final airline gift card to max out the $200 airline fee benefit. The credit just posted.

Updated tally:

+$100 for Global Entry reimbursement
+ $30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit) <- I ended up not being able to use this reservation
+$200 in "free" future spending on my preferred airline via reimbursed gift card purchases
+$750 in MR points from the signup bonus

+$100 for use of airport lounges for two travel days

$1,150 in benefits so far, vs. the $475 annual fee

ScreenShot2013-10-08at74438AM_zps9df8b40

Edited by cv91915

Amex just announced their Centurion Lounge, a kind of ultra lounge at the Vegas airport, will be free to Plat as well as Cent holders.

Awesome for me because I live in Vegas so anytime I leave Vegas I would be able to use this lounge. I don't travel much but after reading this thread, if I just travel a couple times a year and also wait for the 100k sign up bonus I would be able to make use of the annual fee.

Amex just announced their Centurion Lounge, a kind of ultra lounge at the Vegas airport, will be free to Plat as well as Cent holders.

I saw that yesterday as well. The article I read suggested that opening up other Centurion lounges for free access by Platinum owners may also be coming soon, but looking at this FAQ it doesn't look like there are any. :D

http://thecenturionlounge.com/faq.html

Awesome for me because I live in Vegas so anytime I leave Vegas I would be able to use this lounge. I don't travel much but after reading this thread, if I just travel a couple times a year and also wait for the 100k sign up bonus I would be able to make use of the annual fee.

Having this card and paying $475 a year took some time to wrap my mind around, but now that I have it I wonder how I got along without it. I think it makes it easier to tell yourself that you deserve some of these perks if they're already paid as part of your annual fee. There's some psychological barrier for me for paying for some of these things a la carte (lounge access, Global Entry, etc.), but if they're already covered, hell, I'll take one of each! :P

Edited by cv91915

For those of you who have charged the Global Entry, does it show who purchased the Global Entry? I am wondering since I already have a membership if I used my card to sign up my spouse, if the system would realize it was not me.

For those of you who have charged the Global Entry, does it show who purchased the Global Entry? I am wondering since I already have a membership if I used my card to sign up my spouse, if the system would realize it was not me.

This is how the charge appears:

ScreenShot2013-10-10at53513AM_zps99f1d7f

Obviously I blacked out reference numbers. The benefit is one reimbursement per card, so you could also pay the additional fee for an AU to have a second card, and then also have another Global Entry application fee reimbursed on that card. Whether that makes financial sense or is wise for other reasons is an entirely different topic. :)

Here is a recent Flyer Talk discussion to confirm my assertions about your spouse being covered if you pay with your card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1200864-new-centurion-platinum-benefit-global-entry-fee-refund-usa-26.html.

I saw that yesterday as well. The article I read suggested that opening up other Centurion lounges for free access by Platinum owners may also be coming soon, but looking at this FAQ it doesn't look like there are any. :D

I spoke too soon! There's a Centurion Lounge opening at DFW. I connect there all the time.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/preview-of-the-new-american-express-centurion-lounge-opening-at-dallas-fort-worth-dfw-international-airport/?utm_source=TPG+Daily+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8101d62606-TPG+Daily+Newsletter+MC&utm_term=0_2b0b8ee2b7-8101d62606-44161553

Also free for Centurion, Platinum and MB Platinum holders.

Edited by cv91915

Perfect, I'll be in DFW next Fri., and will be sure to post a review! Can't wait to see this place!

I look forward to seeing it through your eyes, since my own won't be there before yours will!

I spoke too soon! There's a Centurion Lounge opening at DFW. I connect there all the time.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/preview-of-the-new-american-express-centurion-lounge-opening-at-dallas-fort-worth-dfw-international-airport/?utm_source=TPG+Daily+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8101d62606-TPG+Daily+Newsletter+MC&utm_term=0_2b0b8ee2b7-8101d62606-44161553

Also free for Centurion, Platinum and MB Platinum holders.

Hopefully one day AMEX will take me back again, I'd love to get this card and of course use it in my home based airport DFW :blush2: In the mean time I'll keep using my Priority Pass given to me by a foreign bank.

I love Amex. Their ability to allow really large purchases has amazed me. They are my goto card for purchases that would otherwise push CLs on my other cards.

I know this will vary by airport and terminal but at SFO and JFK I was able to go to a very nice wine bar and enjoyed a few while waiting for my flight.I forget which airport (think it was also SFO) I went to a nice Restaraunt that wasn't a complete mess and had a good meal before my flight. If the location of the lounges, along with the quality, are hit and miss then maybe it's on par with the (free) option of other establishments in the terminal. Thanks for keeping us posted its an interesting look

Once I left the area where you eat food ordered from the counter, I was able to find an area that was very quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed the second half of my visit. Good cookies and mocha...

I'm never eating an actual "meal" in an Admiral's Club again, though. :)

Check out the new Amex Club in Vegas. It's only open to Amex card holders and they sent free passes, good for 5 visits, to Plat holders earlier this year. They serve food (for a charge) and the Chef is touted. Details are on an Amex web site.

Just wanted to correct this...

The Centurion Lounge across from D1 in LAS is open only to AMEX cardholders (correct) and should be free for Platinum and Black cardholders. Many people got passes of various kinds, sometimes in the mail, and sometimes just attached to their account.

I was departing LAS and wanted to see, so I had my BCP and time to kill. Unbeknownst to me, I was tapped for free entry through the end of the year, no number of visit limits. I can also bring two guests.

The part I wanted to correct most though, was that there was no charge for food. Nor for the bar. Everything is gratis.

I assume the lounge is after the ticketed flyers security checkpoint. One couldn't just crash it for free food and drink :clapping:

I have never tried to get a refund on a fully-refundable ticket AFTER I've checked in and passed through security. What if you just "changed your mind" about leaving town after your lunch at the Centurion Club? :P

Edited by cv91915

I assume the lounge is after the ticketed flyers security checkpoint. One couldn't just crash it for free food and drink :clapping:

I have never tried to get a refund on a fully-refundable ticket AFTER I've checked in and passed through security. What if you just "changed your mind" about leaving town after your lunch at the Centurion Club? :P

LOL that's cheap!!!

LOL that's cheap!!!

That's CREATIVE.

Having this card and paying $475 a year took some time to wrap my mind around, but now that I have it I wonder how I got along without it. I think it makes it easier to tell yourself that you deserve some of these perks if they're already paid as part of your annual fee. There's some psychological barrier for me for paying for some of these things a la carte (lounge access, Global Entry, etc.), but if they're already covered, hell, I'll take one of each! :P

Thanks to this thread, I can't wait for my Platinum. Just need a 100k MR offer.

Aww, take the 50,000 point offer on the MB version and live a little!

Aww, take the 50,000 point offer on the MB version and live a little!

Anyone have a 100k MR targeted offer laying around?