Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

American Express Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally

I know this will vary by airport and terminal but at SFO and JFK I was able to go to a very nice wine bar and enjoyed a few while waiting for my flight.I forget which airport (think it was also SFO) I went to a nice Restaraunt that wasn't a complete mess and had a good meal before my flight. If the location of the lounges, along with the quality, are hit and miss then maybe it's on par with the (free) option of other establishments in the terminal. Thanks for keeping us posted its an interesting look

Once I left the area where you eat food ordered from the counter, I was able to find an area that was very quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed the second half of my visit. Good cookies and mocha...

I'm never eating an actual "meal" in an Admiral's Club again, though. :)

Check out the new Amex Club in Vegas. It's only open to Amex card holders and they sent free passes, good for 5 visits, to Plat holders earlier this year. They serve food (for a charge) and the Chef is touted. Details are on an Amex web site.

I will definitely check that out if I ever have the misfortune of being in Las Vegas. :P

I haven't been there yet. Last time was about 10 years ago. I came out 20k ahead. I don't want to push my luck. :grin:

I know this will vary by airport and terminal but at SFO and JFK I was able to go to a very nice wine bar and enjoyed a few while waiting for my flight.I forget which airport (think it was also SFO) I went to a nice Restaraunt that wasn't a complete mess and had a good meal before my flight. If the location of the lounges, along with the quality, are hit and miss then maybe it's on par with the (free) option of other establishments in the terminal. Thanks for keeping us posted its an interesting look

Once I left the area where you eat food ordered from the counter, I was able to find an area that was very quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed the second half of my visit. Good cookies and mocha...

Check out the new Amex Club in Vegas. It's only open to Amex card holders and they sent free passes, good for 5 visits, to Plat holders earlier this year. They serve food (for a charge) and the Chef is touted. Details are on an Amex web site.

I will definitely check that out if I ever have the misfortune of being in Las Vegas. :P

I haven't been there yet. Last time was about 10 years ago. I came out 20k ahead. I don't want to push my luck. :grin:

Last time I was there a friend of mine bought me a lap dance from a stripper that was so nasty I threw away the pants I had on at the time.

Last time I was there a friend of mine bought me a lap dance from a stripper that was so nasty I threw away the pants I had on at the time.

I'd be reluctant to go back too! OTOH, there's good nasty, bad nasty and some nasty that is just right. Sort of like porridge.

Update: For logistical reasons I decided not to stay at the Willard on my last night in DC (as a bonus I was able to extend my stay at another hotel by one additional night for a fantastic rate).

My new summary is below, removing the hotel savings from the Willard.

On my trip out to DC there were no nearby airport lounges at SAN or ORD. This might be different on my return trip. I just looked at the DCA terminal map and it looks like American flights and US Air flights are near each other, and there are two US Air lounges that are accessible with the Platinum's "Priority Pass" membership perk. I'll update this when I get to the airport in a couple of hours.

+$100 for Global Entry reimbursement

+ $30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit)

+$125 in "free" future spending on my preferred airline via reimbursed gift card purchases (one more to come)

+$750 in MR points from the signup bonus

$975 total, vs. the $475 annual fee

Also note: The Global Entry program can also get you on the domestic "trusted traveler" list at no extra cost. This program is currently expanding to more airports and more participating airlines. Unfortunately, it's not available at all at my home airport (San Diego), but it IS at Washington Reagan (DCA), but not via an American Airlines flight, which is how I'm traveling today.

Since I was able to use the airport lounge benefit for my most recent trip I am going to add to the running tally the cost of two airport lounge day passes ($50 each), one for each travel day.

+$100 for Global Entry reimbursement

+ $30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit)

+$125 in "free" future spending on my preferred airline via reimbursed gift card purchases (one more to come)

+$750 in MR points from the signup bonus

+$100 for use of airport lounges for two travel days

Benefits so far: $1,075, vs. the $475 annual fee.

I think the boarding pass requirement is pretty funny, since you can't get through security to the club without one, and you're almost never conveniently close to a club for another carrier.

I'm sitting in the Admiral's Club at O'Hare tight now, and it's a circus. Plus, I just waited 15 minutes for a cold half of a grilled cheese and a Chocolate Goodness bowl of soup ($11). This isn't a whole lot better than Terminal 3.

It's horrendously disorganized and understaffed.

Get a bucket of Garretts?

We just booked an eleven-day trip to New York City for April/May 2014. I just transferred some of my signup bonus MR points from the MB Platinum to Hilton for part of our stay at the Doubletree Suites/Times Square.

I really wanted to stay at the Waldorf Astoria but the rooms at the DT look like they're bigger and newer...

I've already accounted for the value of the signup bonus is my earlier tally. I just wanted to mention how I'm actually using the points. It seems a lot more interesting than points sitting in an account.

Edited by cv91915

Today's challenge: What do I buy with this?

The downside is that I have to go into a MB dealer to find out... I have terrible, expensive memories of the service department at that place. :P

img004_zpseec16bf7.png

Edited by cv91915

What sort of trinkets do they sell at a MB dealer?

I'm about to find out. If I remember correctly they have a case in the showroom with various trinkets, doodads and hoo-has from here http://www.accessories.mbusa.com. I'm guessing that I'll end up with a golf shirt.

I'm about to find out. If I remember correctly they have a case in the showroom with various trinkets, doodads and hoo-has from here http://www.accessories.mbusa.com. I'm guessing that I'll end up with a golf shirt.

I was in a Chrysler dealership a few years back and they had car accessories like floormats and steering wheel covers. I would like a nice MB leather steering wheel cover for my Nissan truck!

I was in a Chrysler dealership a few years back and they had car accessories like floormats and steering wheel covers. I would like a nice MB leather steering wheel cover for my Nissan truck!

That would be a pretty cool non sequitur. :P

On my way out the door now. SO is petrified that I'm going to come home with an SL convertible instead of a golf shirt. :D

Edited by cv91915

I'm fond of this "trinket". :D

2014-CL-CLASS-COUPE-GALLERY-012-GOE-D.jp

I'm fond of this "trinket". :D

2014-CL-CLASS-COUPE-GALLERY-012-GOE-D.jp

I love the new E Class coupes and convertibles!

To quote me: "That doesn't suck at all."

Edited by cv91915

No, CV, no they don't suck at all. :grin:

ETA and that was a new CL-class BTW

Edited by BDK

Joke is on me. The trinkets and doodads are considered the "parts department", which is closed on Sundays. Boo. Mission aborted. I'll try again sometime this week.

No, CV, no they don't suck at all. :grin: ETA and that was a new CL-class BTW

I don't know if I'd pay that much more for a CL if it looks that much like the E. Maybe there is a more striking difference in person. :D

Joke is on me. The trinkets and doodads are considered the "parts department", which is closed on Sundays. Boo. Mission aborted. I'll try again sometime this week.

Oakley flack jacket sunglasses for the LOW, low, low... Price of $260. Lol, wow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our lottery winner friend has a convertible Merc I have no idea what model. I've never been a car person and can barely tell the difference between a Corolla and a Corona.

Oakley flack jacket sunglasses for the LOW, low, low... Price of $260. Lol, wow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This isn't the Fiat 500 catalog, my friend!

Our lottery winner friend has a convertible Merc I have no idea what model. I've never been a car person and can barely tell the difference between a Corolla and a Corona.

That is pretty bad, considering they haven't made a Corona that isn't a "Mexican" beer in over 30 years...

That is pretty bad, considering they haven't made a Corona that isn't a "Mexican" beer in over 30 years...

:wave: Um, it was the beer I had in mind. I'm that bad or at least pretty close.

Don't knock Coronas. It was my first car. A 10-yr old piece of sh*t that broke down on me constantly.

These days, I still drink an occasional Corona.