Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

American Express Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally

Don't forget that the airline credit runs on a calender year so on the 1st of January you are good for another $200 which means you already made money off the card on top of the MR points. I am waiting for another 100k to pop up. I even opted back in to offers but nothing so far.

Right, but you really only double-dip on this benefit if you keep the card for just one annual fee cycle.

:blush2: I don't spend enough to rectify me forking over $450 in 1 annual fee unless I get 100 MR every time

The 50,000 MR point signup bonus will more than pay for the annual fee for the first year, all by itself.

The first year's value was never in question. ;) 53,000 x 0.015 [0.018] = $795 [$954]

Nor should there be of any year, if you travel heavily.

Don't forget airline lounge access - AA, US, and DL (must have a same-day ticket). I'm not sure if your card also adds Priority Club Select (the Business Platinum does), that also gives you a few more (just not UA). I figure that the lounge access is worth $300, plus the airline fee reimbursements, and they are paying me to use this card.

Don't forget airline lounge access - AA, US, and DL (must have a same-day ticket). I'm not sure if your card also adds Priority Club Select (the Business Platinum does), that also gives you a few more (just not UA). I figure that the lounge access is worth $300, plus the airline fee reimbursements, and they are paying me to use this card.

You do get priority club select. I have been an Amex plat holder for a few years and posters are correct, if used correctly, they are paying you to use the card. Don't forget to take advantage of automatic Starwood gold status which gets you free Internet when you stay at Starwood hotels which is worth $10-15 per day.

You do get priority club select. I have been an Amex plat holder for a few years and posters are correct, if used correctly, they are paying you to use the card. Don't forget to take advantage of automatic Starwood gold status which gets you free Internet when you stay at Starwood hotels which is worth $10-15 per day.

Right, I didn't list every benefit of the card upfront (you can read that lots of places), but rather I'm listing each perk as I use/derive benefit from it.

There may be some perks that I don't use. In that case I may do one final post outlining any benefits that went unused so you can decide for yourself if they have any value to you.

I DO expect to use the airport lounges, I just haven't gotten my enrollment materials in the mail yet, nor have I flown anywhere to use the benefit since I got my Platinum Card in the mail three weeks ago (but I will be heading to DC at the end of next week, and will use the American lounges AND will use the Willard InterContinental reservation reserved through the Platinum Fine Hotels & Resorts benefit).

Looking forward to your trip report! LOVE DC. :good:

Four days of meetings followed by three days playing "tacky tourist". I'll leave out the details of the business meetings, unless of course you cherish details about maintaining industry data exchange standards.

Edited by cv91915

I'll leave out the details of the business meetings,

Please and thank you! :P

I'll leave out the details of the business meetings,

Please and thank you! :P

Consider it done, my friend!

OK, that was fast. The 50,000 MR bonus points for the Platinum posted before its first statement closed. Truth be told, I did blow through the $3,000 minimum spend in the first few days I had the card... but still... I didn't expect to see these bonus points for at least a month after the first statement.

ScreenShot2013-09-18at64437AM_zps3faa29b

Conservatively I'll say that MR points are worth 1.5 cents each, so $750 in value for those brings my tally so far to:

+$100 for Global Entry reimbursement
+ $30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit)

+ $50 in covered future spending on my preferred airline via a gift card

+$750 in MR points

$880 total, vs. the $475 annual fee. We all knew that year one was a no-brainer, so I'm pressing on. I need to buy more airline gift cards to max that benefit, and will do that in the next week or so.

I just bought another gift card in the $75 range from my preferred airline. I'll let you know when the credit posts to my Amex statement.

Edited by cv91915

/>Don't forget airline lounge access - AA, US, and DL (must have a same-day ticket). I'm not sure if your card also adds Priority Club Select (the Business Platinum does), that also gives you a few more (just not UA). I figure that the lounge access is worth $300, plus the airline fee reimbursements, and they are paying me to use this card.

As I type this I'm on my AA flight from SAN to ORD, on the way to DCA.

Value of Priority Club Select on this trip so far: $0.

I can't use the Admirals Club in SAN, ORD or DCA.

The closest lounge in SAN (United) was 25 gates away. I'm arriving at Terminal 3 at ORD, and the only lounges available are three Uniteds and one Air France in Terminals 1, 2, and 5.

I flatly refuse to take a train to get from my arrival gate to a free lounge, and then another train back to my departing gate.

This benefit is a huge disappointment so far.

Comments and situations like that are why I question Amex Platinum. Sorry to hear the luck so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Value of Priority Club Select on this trip so far: $0.

This benefit is a huge disappointment so far.

Sorry to hear that. :sorry:

I just bought another gift card in the $75 range from my preferred airline. I'll let you know when the credit posts to my Amex statement.

I was just reimbursed for my second airline gift card. While the Priority Pass Select membership may have no value to me so far, here is an updated benefit total with the second gift card.

+ $30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit)

+$125 in covered future spending on my preferred airline via gift cards

+$750 in MR points

$1,005 total, vs. the $475 annual fee.

Update: For logistical reasons I decided not to stay at the Willard on my last night in DC (as a bonus I was able to extend my stay at another hotel by one additional night for a fantastic rate).

My new summary is below, removing the hotel savings from the Willard.

On my trip out to DC there were no nearby airport lounges at SAN or ORD. This might be different on my return trip. I just looked at the DCA terminal map and it looks like American flights and US Air flights are near each other, and there are two US Air lounges that are accessible with the Platinum's "Priority Pass" membership perk. I'll update this when I get to the airport in a couple of hours.

+$125 in "free" future spending on my preferred airline via reimbursed gift card purchases (one more to come)
+$750 in MR points from the signup bonus

$975 total, vs. the $475 annual fee

Also note: The Global Entry program can also get you on the domestic "trusted traveler" list at no extra cost. This program is currently expanding to more airports and more participating airlines. Unfortunately, it's not available at all at my home airport (San Diego), but it IS at Washington Reagan (DCA), but not via an American Airlines flight, which is how I'm traveling today.

Edited by cv91915

I'm in at the US Air Sky Club, near my departing American gate.

Wifi, bagels, coffee, yogurt, comfy chairs, office stuff.

Best part: no crying brats!

Probably too early for wine. :P

Edited by cv91915

Ok, HUGE mistake and MAJOR correction. I can use ANY Admirals Club just by showing my Platinum Card and boarding pass.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_c&benefitId=1

I thought I was limited to just the Priority Club lounges.

I know where I'm killing a couple of hours at ORD...

According to Delta's club FAQ, you need a Plat and boarding pass for that day on Delta or a carrier operated by Delta. US Air clubs are the only ones I know of you don't need a related boarding pass for. I also have an AA WEMC which also has unlimited AA club access with no boarding pass. Kinda pricey to have both and more so after the merger is done. I recently used Delta clubs in both SAN and SLT.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/support/faqs/during-your-trip/delta-sky-club-faqs.html

Edited by cashnocredit

Bravo! What do you do IOT fly so much? I really think Amex platinum is more of a travelers benefit that a spenders benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the boarding pass requirement is pretty funny, since you can't get through security to the club without one, and you're almost never conveniently close to a club for another carrier.

I'm sitting in the Admiral's Club at O'Hare tight now, and it's a circus. Plus, I just waited 15 minutes for a cold half of a grilled cheese and a Chocolate Goodness bowl of soup ($11). This isn't a whole lot better than Terminal 3.

It's horrendously disorganized and understaffed.

Edited by cv91915

I know this will vary by airport and terminal but at SFO and JFK I was able to go to a very nice wine bar and enjoyed a few while waiting for my flight.

I forget which airport (think it was also SFO) I went to a nice Restaraunt that wasn't a complete mess and had a good meal before my flight.

If the location of the lounges, along with the quality, are hit and miss then maybe it's on par with the (free) option of other establishments in the terminal.

Thanks for keeping us posted its an interesting look

I know this will vary by airport and terminal but at SFO and JFK I was able to go to a very nice wine bar and enjoyed a few while waiting for my flight.I forget which airport (think it was also SFO) I went to a nice Restaraunt that wasn't a complete mess and had a good meal before my flight. If the location of the lounges, along with the quality, are hit and miss then maybe it's on par with the (free) option of other establishments in the terminal. Thanks for keeping us posted its an interesting look

Once I left the area where you eat food ordered from the counter, I was able to find an area that was very quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed the second half of my visit. Good cookies and mocha...

I'm never eating an actual "meal" in an Admiral's Club again, though. :)

I know this will vary by airport and terminal but at SFO and JFK I was able to go to a very nice wine bar and enjoyed a few while waiting for my flight.I forget which airport (think it was also SFO) I went to a nice Restaraunt that wasn't a complete mess and had a good meal before my flight. If the location of the lounges, along with the quality, are hit and miss then maybe it's on par with the (free) option of other establishments in the terminal. Thanks for keeping us posted its an interesting look

Once I left the area where you eat food ordered from the counter, I was able to find an area that was very quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed the second half of my visit. Good cookies and mocha...

Check out the new Amex Club in Vegas. It's only open to Amex card holders and they sent free passes, good for 5 visits, to Plat holders earlier this year. They serve food (for a charge) and the Chef is touted. Details are on an Amex web site.

Check out the new Amex Club in Vegas. It's only open to Amex card holders and they sent free passes, good for 5 visits, to Plat holders earlier this year. They serve food (for a charge) and the Chef is touted. Details are on an Amex web site.

I will definitely check that out if I ever have the misfortune of being in Las Vegas. :P