American Express Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally

cv91915

The last post in this topic was posted 2347 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

This thread isn't exactly fresh as a daisy, but I'm going update this every time I connect at DFW.

I want to quantify how often the Centurion Lounge, located in Terminal D, would be convenient when I connect in Dallas.

If you arrive or depart from a different terminal it requires a train ride. If you neither arrive at, nor depart from, D, it's two train rides.

This is why I prefer Admirals Club. They're convenient to all AA gates at DFW.

Centurion Lounge is in D.

6/21/15: Arrive C, depart A.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread isn't exactly fresh as a daisy, but I'm going update this every time I connect at DFW.

I want to quantify how often the Centurion Lounge, located in Terminal D, would be convenient when I connect in Dallas.

If you arrive or depart from a different terminal it requires a train ride. If you neither arrive at, nor depart from, D, it's two train rides.

Yep. I've also been to both at DFW and you are right. Checked it out once during a 2 hour gap. None of my flights ever start or terminate in D so I prefer AA unless there is a 4+ hour layover. Hasn't happened subsequently.

Edited by cashnocredit

It's also one of the very few public places I'll poop. The doors go all the way to the ceiling. It's very clean and private.

I take it you haven't been to China.

No. Good place to squeeze one off?

It's also one of the very few public places I'll poop. The doors go all the way to the ceiling. It's very clean and private.

Let's put it gently, I would prefer the traditional outhouse like my aunt's farm had. Complete with a crescent moon carved out of the door. The ventilation was better.

I read this entire thread today and I guess I dont understand. I know all situations are different but if you and a guest took one nice 3 day vacation a year, it would seem the FHR benefit of the platinum card would more than make up for the AF itself. You get to a nice hotel, there's an automatic hotel credit of $100, breakfast for 2 is complimentary all 3 days and most likely you get a room upgrade. You also get free wi-fi in the room. This does not even take into account if you fly to this destination and use the lounges you may have access to. Plus the $200/yr airline credit and all the other things mentioned on this thread, it seems you don't even have to be a world traveler or even a "regular" traveler to make this card viable. The modest scenario I just laid out is easily worth more than $300 in savings...and that's just assuming you're getting a regular room. Imagine the savings if you got a suite upgrade. We're talking $200+ or more per night savings alone on the room.

Edited by iluvbrokli

That train is fast though, I found it convenient.

Let's put it gently, I would prefer the traditional outhouse like my aunt's farm had. Complete with a crescent moon carved out of the door. The ventilation was better.

My favorite part of Chinese bathrooms is the lack of handsoap. Always an awesome feeling to know the people preparing your food aren't washing their hands. Stir fried dishes don't matter. But anything cold, or the sliced watermelon they bring after the meal, nice to know that broad didn't wash her hands

My favorite part of Chinese bathrooms is the lack of handsoap. Always an awesome feeling to know the people preparing your food aren't washing their hands. Stir fried dishes don't matter. But anything cold, or the sliced watermelon they bring after the meal, nice to know that broad didn't wash her hands

Personally I enjoy the outlying areas where there simply is a hole in the floor that you squat over. Better have good aim or no amount of ventilation is gonna help ya!

I read this entire thread today and I guess I dont understand. I know all situations are different but if you and a guest took one nice 3 day vacation a year, it would seem the FHR benefit of the platinum card would more than make up for the AF itself. You get to a nice hotel, there's an automatic hotel credit of $100, breakfast for 2 is complimentary all 3 days and most likely you get a room upgrade. You also get free wi-fi in the room. This does not even take into account if you fly to this destination and use the lounges you may have access to. Plus the $200/yr airline credit and all the other things mentioned on this thread, it seems you don't even have to be a world traveler or even a "regular" traveler to make this card viable. The modest scenario I just laid out is easily worth more than $300 in savings...and that's just assuming you're getting a regular room. Imagine the savings if you got a suite upgrade. We're talking $200+ or more per night savings alone on the room.

As shown you can definitely get value out of it, I read this thread (I think as the OP intended originally) as their way of offsetting the annual fee knowing he planned to cancel the card eventually. In this case, another card suits him best. If YOU can make good use of the features and benefits of this card that make it worthwhile that's all that counts. At any rate, OP has demonstrated ways to redeem value that some may not have considered fully = :good:

Me personally, glad I got this card before D* died and I'm keeping it forever (at least as long as they keep waiving the annual fee lol, and then we'll see) Member Since 1989 :clapping:

Personally I enjoy the outlying areas where there simply is a hole in the floor that you squat over. Better have good aim or no amount of ventilation is gonna help ya!

Most places are just holes outside of hotels catering to foreigners or factories that have constructed a WC specifically for foreign clients.

My US business partner went to China with me in 2009. He got sick. Our main contract manufacturer at the time only had squat holes. He blew flowers on his shoes. He has never been back. Literally never seen the factory we own now, never shown up for the factory Spring Festival dinners.

Most places are just holes outside of hotels catering to foreigners or factories that have constructed a WC specifically for foreign clients.

My US business partner went to China with me in 2009. He got sick. Our main contract manufacturer at the time only had squat holes. He blew flowers on his shoes. He has never been back. Literally never seen the factory we own now, never shown up for the factory Spring Festival dinners.

Gotta love the Chinese. They are entrepreneurial but there are vestiges of last century.Restaurants tend to be very functional with no amenities. Tipping was a no-no during the communist heyday - presumably insulting to the proletariat, but the places that cater to furryners have caught on.

That said they have done a remarkable job. Almost every Chinese has electricity these days. My aunt, the one with the outhouse, had just gotten electric mains a year or so before I visited circa 1955 or so. Air pollution reminds me of LA in the 60's.

• 3 weeks later...

7/11/15: Arrive C, depart C.

• 1 month later...

Read this while having a bowl of cereal. Almost threw up. Then I realized that I would have to eventually get up and serve myself another bowl. Forget about the cleaning myself up part.

• 4 weeks later...

9/18/15: Arrive C, Depart D. I could have actually used the CL today... but my connection time is too short anyway. Edited by cv91915

• 6 months later...

9/18/15: Arrive C, Depart D. I could have actually used the CL today... but my connection time is too short anyway.

4/9/16: Arrive A, depart C.

I fly through DFW at least once a month and I've done a terrible job with updates. I believe I've had one "Depart D" experience since my last update.

I should add:

The Platinum card also gets you into Airspace Lounges for no charge.

There are only four currently (SAN, CLE, BWI and JFK).

I fly out of San Diego a lot. I use my Admirals Club privileges to use the Airspace Lounge there, since there is no standalone Admirals Club at SAN.

http://www.airspacelounge.com

May be of interest to some.

I'll be flying out of terminal D in July and plan to go.

The rice pudding is outstanding.

I love rice pudding. Seriously. Is this at AA or centurion..

Centurion Lounge. That rice pudding tickles my dirty parts.

The last post in this topic was posted 2347 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.