Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

American Express Platinum Benefits - A Running Tally

I read once that the American Express Platinum Card is a great card even if you never charge anything with it. I'm about to find out.

I just got the Mercedes-Benz version of this card because the signup bonus was double what the non-MB version was (50,000 MR points vs. 25,000 based on current offers). The fee is a little higher ($475 vs. $450), but the value of the extra bonus points made the MB version a no-brainer.

I'm already convinced that this card will pay for itself. Rather than list all of the potential benefits here, which you could read in about 30,000 other places on the Interwebs, as I take advantage of the benefits I will update this thread with a running total of the value I've received so you can judge for yourself.

I got my first tangible benefit this morning when I checked my email inbox. Earlier in the week I applied for the Global Entry Program, sort of an "express lane" through border/customs check when re-entering the US from another country. See http://www.globalentry.gov. This should come in handy for our planned trip to Europe in the next several months.

If you pay for the $100 application fee with your Platinum Card, American Express will reimburse you for the cost of the fee. The credit hit my American Express account within three or four days.

My annual fee has not yet been charged, but I've already realized $100 in tangible value.

ScreenShot2013-09-07at53335AM_zpse6e4f47

I tacked on three extra nights to a business trip to DC later in the month.

I only had enough Marriott points for two nights at the Courtyard in Foggy Bottom, near the White House. I double-booked myself on the final night at the same Courtyard for real money, at $189 a night, and also at the Willard InterContinental http://washington.intercontinental.com for $259, through the Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts service. My plan was to cancel one of the rooms today.

Here are the benefits that come with the Willard reservation, through Platinum reservations desk:

ScreenShot2013-09-07at63404AM_zpsd1bf640

I've decided to stay at the Willard, thanks to the $100 food/beverage credit, late check-out, etc. That puts the net cost of the Willard BELOW that of the Courtyard, for a far superior property.

To top it off, the Willard is now going for $359 a night on the same night. Let's hope that the room upgrade "when available" actually IS. I'll post updates after my trip at the end of the month.

Gratuitous lobby shot of the Willard:

cn_image_1sizewillard-intercontinental-w

Edited by cv91915

Don't forget pic's of the concierge provided basket...

:stop:

If you'll recall, that "concierge provided basket" cost me €75.

That's nit-picking, isn't it?

:P

I would argue no, since I was the one who got the bill for $103 worth of baklava. :P

Edited by cv91915

One of the benefits of the card is $200 in reimbursements for miscellaneous airline fees, like those for seat assignments, telephone reservation assistance, etc., for a single airline that you specify each calendar year.

Gift cards are technically not supposed to be covered, but there are reports all over the Internets that this type of purchase will qualify for reimbursement because of the way the charge is processed. A few days ago I purchased a ~$50 gift card from my preferred airline. Yesterday the credit posted to my Amex account.

ScreenShot2013-09-12at60847AM_zpsc917a1a

I'm going to buy a couple more gift cards to equal $200 in order to use up the balance of this benefit, since I only have one more trip planned on my preferred airline in 2013, and everything's already paid.

So far my tangible benefits add up to:

$100 for Global Entry reimbursement

~$30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit)

$50 in covered future spending on my preferred airline via a gift card

I'm at about $180 (remember, annual fee is $475, so I have some more work to do). I've only had the card for about three weeks!

Edited by cv91915

I got my first tangible benefit this morning when I checked my email inbox. Earlier in the week I applied for the Global Entry Program, sort of an "express lane" through border/customs check when re-entering the US from another country. See http://www.globalentry.gov. This should come in handy for our planned trip to Europe in the next several months.

If you pay for the $100 application fee with your Platinum Card, American Express will reimburse you for the cost of the fee. The credit hit my American Express account within three or four days.

My annual fee has not yet been charged, but I've already realized $100 in tangible value.

I was approved yesterday for the Global Entry program, which will save time crossing the border from Mexico into the US, but more importantly it's an express lane through customs when returning to the US on an international flight.

One benefit I hadn't anticipated was that the Global Entry approval grants me automatic eligibility for TSA's "Precheck" program, which, when flying on participating airlines (most majors) at participating airports (40 in the US and about to more than double) will allow me to sail through the security line!

I am really excited about this benefit, and there is really no way to assign a price or value. It's just 100% awesome.

One of the benefits of the card is $200 in reimbursements for miscellaneous airline fees, like those for seat assignments, telephone reservation assistance, etc., for a single airline that you specify each calendar year.

Gift cards are technically not supposed to be covered, but there are reports all over the Internets that this type of purchase will qualify for reimbursement because of the way the charge is processed. A few days ago I purchased a ~$50 gift card from my preferred airline. Yesterday the credit posted to my Amex account.

Posted Image

I'm going to buy a couple more gift cards to equal $200 in order to use up the balance of this benefit, since I only have one more trip planned on my preferred airline in 2013, and everything's already paid.

~$30 net savings for a great hotel room (higher room price/much better hotel than originally booked, but $100 food/beverage credit)

I'm at about $180 (remember, annual fee is $475, so I have some more work to do). I've only had the card for about three weeks!

So just buying the airline gift card resulted in the rebursement?

ScreenShot2013-09-12at60847AM_zpsc917a1a

So just buying the airline gift card resulted in the rebursement?
Yep! Edited by cv91915

:beee:

Really makes me wish I'd jumped on that 100K Plat offer earlier this year...

Posted Image

:beee:

Really makes me wish I'd jumped on that 100K Plat offer earlier this year...

It will come around again! I did the 50k PRG membership which got screwed up and I only received half my points. I was pissed but stuck with it anyway. I'm curious about Platinum and its nice to know I can knock $200 off the annual fee just like the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't forget that the airline credit runs on a calender year so on the 1st of January you are good for another $200 which means you already made money off the card on top of the MR points. I am waiting for another 100k to pop up. I even opted back in to offers but nothing so far.

You should also try to factor in what cash back / bonus points you would have received had you pushed the charge through Amex Blue or CSP.

Which charge?

Don't forget that the airline credit runs on a calender year so on the 1st of January you are good for another $200 which means you already made money off the card on top of the MR points. I am waiting for another 100k to pop up. I even opted back in to offers but nothing so far.

Right, but you really only double-dip on this benefit if you keep the card for just one annual fee cycle.

Right, but you really only double-dip on this benefit if you keep the card for just one annual fee cycle.

:blush2: I don't spend enough to rectify me forking over $450 in 1 annual fee unless I get 100 MR every time

Edited by Omnipotent

Any charge you put on this card

You get one MR point (worth 1.5 - 1.8 cents each, depending on who you ask) per dollar spent. I'm not spending much with this card beyond the required $3,000 to get the signup bonus, so any incremental rewards foregone by not using another card for a relatively small spend won't be much.

:blush2: I don't spend enough to rectify me forking over $450 in 1 annual fee unless I get 100 MR every time

The 50,000 MR point signup bonus will more than pay for the annual fee for the first year, all by itself.