Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Should I apply for the American Express Blue Cash card?

The last post in this topic was posted 2654 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So, I don't know my credit score, but I'm assuming it's not very good because there are a few Adverse Accounts on my credit report (working on those now).

I've never had a credit card before but I'm looking to finally get one to build up my score. Should I apply for the American Express Blue Cash card? What are the chances that they'll approve me? What are the consequences if they don't? Can I re-apply later?

Thanks.

without knowing your credit score its hard to say but the presence of adverse accounts and lack of revolving credit history makes me lean towards not good

get your credit scores first. Once you know you scores, you can do a plan of attack.

Think of it as you are going to battle, and right now its a night so you could walk into an ambush.

REAL FICO scores are better than FAKO scores, read the beginner threads first if you dont know my terms.

creditkarma shows cards and the % of users which have the card at varying credit levels. I find that is a good starting point.

*HINT* - look at the pinned topics in this forum first. They are hidden for me unless I click "show pinned topics" 35 of them.

If you get denied, then you wasted a hard inq. with each hard inq, you score drops a few points. You want to wait to apply for credit until you are sure you can get it.

If your file has old baddies, then a call to the reconsideration line can get you the card after initially denied.

DO NOT! Apply for ANYTHING until you get all 3 MyFico scores or full individual reports DIRECTLY from the 3 bureaus. Use this : (E1308BDY20FST) promo code if you do it (Myfico) really soon. it will give you $4-5 off each I think. I just used it today (8/28). I got it right here on CB. :grin:

Edited by studiogeek

So, I don't know my credit score, but I'm assuming it's not very good because there are a few Adverse Accounts on my credit report (working on those now).

Don't burn an inquiry. If you don't have at least the past two years completely clean and a FICO (not FAKO) score of 650, I wouldn't bother with Amex Blue.

Edited by direred

The last post in this topic was posted 2654 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Quietman
      OMG! Can't believe it worked!

DW applied for 3x CLI, from $9,400 to $28,200, instant approval!

It was on her Amex Blue everyday card.

Her FICO scores:

Exp : 789
      TU : 798
      Eq : 806

Card used lightly over last 61 days, PIF always. She wants to achieve credit pimp status in the next year!!

Thank you fellow CB'ers for all the great advice! (special shout out to BobWang, Ubercat, mendlesshon, HoustonLynne, CV91915, SecretAgentWoman)

• By dilligaf
      Trying to keep it short ...

I have been away for a while. Came back this week to say hi in GD. Started reading around in CF and saw this thread:
      The Master Blacklist Black List Thread – Work In Progress, Help Needed

Now, I haven't applied for an Amex since 2007. Back then, the CO was no longer on my reports. Only denied because of internal blacklist. Not sure when it actually CO'd.

So, I thought WTH. I'll try. Applied for the Everyday card because it looked kind of cool.

FACO on TU is 721. The rest are unknown.

I do have quite a few other cards at this point with about $50k total in CLs ranging from $500 (Target) up to $25k (USAA).

I was approved for $2k. Eh. Not great. But, I am back in. Don't know if that is good or bad yet.

Then I start reading about D*. Hmmm. Better check that out. Click the chat button and ask if I can get my Member Since date set back to my original. Sure Mr. D. Let me look that up for you. Is **** correct? Yes sir, that sounds about right. New date shows online before we finish the chat.

Boom, a brand new CL from 1998.

Once again, thanks CB. You guys are awesome as usual
    • By YAK25
      Hi.

Anyone ever had any luck offsetting an AMEX annual fee or getting some kind of a retention bonus? I recently called the main line with regard to an annual fee on my BCP, and both the CSR and a supervisor told me that there was nothing they could do or offer me, despite my suggestion that I was seriously considering cancelling or at least downgrading the card to the no-annual-fee version.

Just wondering if I should try my luck again with a different CSR or if there is a different number that I should call that would be more successful. As always, any feedback and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • By mendelssohn
      There are usually a lot of questions about why to apply for new Amex cards in January, particularly this time of year. Below is a brief explanation.

When you have an Amex log in, you have a "Member Since" date. For example, here is what mine looks like when I log in to my account.

Once you have established a "Member Since" date, every new Amex you open will show as being opened in the MS year. For example, every Amex I open reports as being opened in 1992. A new Amex will report the month that it was opened with the MS date as the year.

For example, let's assume a MS date of 2013 and two different scenarios for opening a second card.

MS date 2013
      Amex 2 opened December 2014
      Amex 2 reports as opened December 2013
      reports as 1 year old

MS date 2013
      Amex 2 opened January 2015
      Amex 2 reports as opened January 2013
      reports as 2 years old

If you have a really young MS date, you can see why applying in January can help you boost your AAOA over time. Waiting 1 month in this example nets another year of account age.

If you don't have an Amex, it is wise to get one before the year ends to lock in a MS date.

If you have a young MS date, it is wise to wait until January to take advantage of the account age as much as possible.

• By MJPEREZ77
      Just wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on an EASY Amex to qualify for. I am gearing up for my own App Spree and am considering Macy's or Dillard's, though I know these aren't Prime Cards, I am wondering if they are even worth app'ing for or if I am missing others. FYI, I am not going to app with BofA or PenFed as I don't believe they aren't a viable option for me at this time (In recent App Spree DW was Declined at PenFed and BofA gave her a $3k Rewards card). Again, any input is greatly appreciated. On a side note, am I understanding correctly, that ANY Amex gets you into the Centurion Lounges for $50? So Macy's or Dillard's would qualify?

And I have seen the thread on Non Centurion Amex, I'm just asking for personal opinion on perhaps the easiest card to get or your favorite. Again, Thanks!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    DvrsfdCEO
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines