Sign in to follow this  
mechanicworkman

Credit Cards for more than 5-7k?

I have a bout a 740-750 credit score but can't seem to get issued a card for more than 5 k most of my cards are in the 1-3k range. I make a decent amount of money around 95k. What's the trick to getting cards with higher limits?

Are certain cards known for giving better credit limits?

I would like to have one in the 10-15k range!

Any ideas or help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Credit Unions are more likely to give higher limits when you don't already have some. Keep requesting CLIs on your existing accounts and remember that high limits beget higher limits. After you get some higher credit limits, most major issuers will also give you higher limits when applying for new cards.

Seems harder to get a decent credit line increase than apply for a new line of credit with a slightly bigger limit. I have had a card since 06' with a 1k limit I tried calling asking for increase they wanted to charge 15 bucks for a 250dollar increase talk about a slap in the face. Never a single late payment ever in fact i usually overpay by a few dollars each month and have a credit on acct I got on internet applied for bass pro card and instantly given 5k off the get go.

Seems harder to get a decent credit line increase than apply for a new line of credit with a slightly bigger limit. I have had a card since 06' with a 1k limit I tried calling asking for increase they wanted to charge 15 bucks for a 250dollar increase talk about a slap in the face. Never a single late payment ever in fact i usually overpay by a few dollars each month and have a credit on acct I got on internet applied for bass pro card and instantly given 5k off the get go.

You may have the wrong cards. Would you mind listing what's in your wallet for comment?

No prime issuer is going to charge you for a CLI... or, put another way, any issuer that wants to charge for a CLI is never going to give an account with a large limit.

Sounds like this card, at least, is targeted at rebuilders.

Yea the card that wanted money for credit increase was as u say more of a building credit. And I outgrew its useful ness traded. When I called demanding a big credit increase and they offered only 250 bucks that's the last day I had that card

Bass pro (BOA)

Citi

Capital one

Capital one

Merrick

Cabelas visa

Sears

Local bank credit card

Right off the bat I think you should give up on Merrick. I think that's probably the one you just mentioned.

Have you tried the EO route for Capital One?

Citi has been good to me with CLIs.

/>Why would merrick be holding me back? That card has my second highest balance

Balance or limit?

I would add American Express, Chase, US Bank, lots of CU's they will all go over 10k with less than half of your stated income

I read through other postings and I see a lot of people seem to have Amex I hate to go opening any more new cards right now I need to try the credit line increase and see where I get with that

My next question is why not open a new card? You may have a plan I am unaware of but it would be much easier to go with a better institution. If you have already tried a CLI there is no trick to getting bigger CLI's other than maximize your profile. You can alwayds recon but it depends on whether they want to or can meet your needs.

Look at the multiple Target card posts around here. You can have hundreds of thousands in CL and Target may still give you a limit sub $1000

I was approved for the BCP in March with a CL of 4.5K. After 61 days I requested an increase of 3X to 13.5K and AMEX approved it. I waited until the new CL reported on my credit reports and I applied for a low interest card at my credit union and I was approved for 14.5K. Since then I've been approved for a 12.5K BOA Cash Rewards and a 12K Chase Sapphire Preferred. Before the BCP my highest limit major CC was a Cap 1 with a limit of 2K. Reported Income is 93K and scores around 760 on Transunion & Experian. I used AMEX as my stepping stone to higher limits.

Why would merrick be holding me back? That card has my second highest balance

It's not holding you back, per se, it's just a subprime card that will likely never grow to a large limit.

I read through other postings and I see a lot of people seem to have Amex I hate to go opening any more new cards right now I need to try the credit line increase and see where I get with that

Which Citi card do you have? I just bumped my AAdvantage Platinum Visa Signature from 13,000 to 25,000 after three months' usage (charged and PIFd 2,000 to 6,000 a month). It was auto-approved within about 10 minutes of the request.

Bare with me I'm new here and don't know all the lingo yet but what is the EO u speak of?

No problem at all. Read this. Post 11 is where the gold is buried. http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500738

So these are the cards that have shown to over time grow to large credit lines over 10 k.

Does American Express offer cards with decent rate that dosnt have an annual fee?

Bare with me I'm new here and don't know all the lingo yet but what is the EO u speak of?

EO = Executive Office

Capital One is very good about giving extra consideration to requests when you direct them to the executive office.

800-955-1455

My next question is why not open a new card? You may have a plan I am unaware of but it would be much easier to go with a better institution.

I'm planning to do a refi in April 2014 trying to keep the number of hard hits to my credit to a minimum.

But, yes I have had luck switching from crappy cards to bigger name and initial credit lines have been larger. My lowest line of credit is like 1k. But I think that the very small amount of time I use the card may be the culprit. I sometimes go 3-4 months without using it

Why would merrick be holding me back? That card has my second highest balance

I don't think CV meant Merrick was holding you back, I think he meant you should give up hoping for a big CLI from them because they are notoriously stingy. You should definitely keep the card though.

Citi and Cabela's will both grow. Those are the first 2 to target. Just give them at least 6 months between CLIs. Cabela's pulls a hard inq for CLI requests, but tends to give inquiry-free auto CLIs every 13 months (or sometimes after 7 months) so be patient.

I'm guessing your 2 Cap 1s are of the "starter" or "rebuilder" type. If so, your only hope for high limits would be through the EO. Definitely worth a shot.

Merrick is hopeless. They don't give customer initiated CLIs. They occasionally give auto CLIs those tend to be small. Maybe that will change someday, if they ever manage to turn a profit. :lol:

I'm not sure about Bass Pro, Sears or your local bank.

Once you get one or two high limits, you will be far more likely to get high starting limits when opening new accounts.