Defaulted-Garnished-Paid- Now What

Erwelder

The last post in this topic was posted 3954 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

A few years back I hit a few life bumps and the ol' credit report took a beating. Not that it has ever been all that great, but that has all changed. I am being responsible and taking care of business. I laid low for many years and just let the dust settle and the slate be wiped clean- suffer for my previous mess ups but learned good lessons.

I have 4 accounts out there dealing with 2 student loans with Nelnet. When I was out of work in 2009 and couldn't pay - they showed 120+Late and sent them over to the state government insurer who promptly put in a wage ganishment when they learned I had started back to work. At the end of that garnishment my employer stopped taking out the payments at the amount of the original garnishment. Only thing is- there were real small balances of accrued interest (less than $20 each) that I was not aware of and I don't recall ever being notified of. After about 6 months they wrote these off and closed the accounts reporting as Settled for less than Balance, 120+Late.

I tried to dispute the student loans in 2/13, but not sure what to dispute because yes they are mine. Now, the Nelnet says - Transferred to Government 2/13- when they were transferred in 6/10.

Anything I can do to make these negative student loan issues better?

Well, your first issue is that your employer broke a wage garnishment order by failing to pay the wage garnishment order until they received a release notice from the guarantor; thereby, leaving you with a balance that was written off or settled; therefore, you would have had a different trade-line if the garnishment order was not broken; so technically your employer messed up your credit report -- AND you should have been more proactive with the garnishment order to ensure the loan(s) were paid in full through the wage garnishment.

There is nothing you can do at this point except to let it age off your credit report - since you did settle for less than the balance owed.

Nothing? That seems awful ominous. Lots of things I should have done- know that but telling me about it after the fact of what I should have done is not really helpful... I can accept that there may be nothing I can do but you could have a better attitude about it.

OP - there's really nothin you can do at this point except to let the negative remarks age off your credit report. You can try to write goodwill letters, but there is no guarantee they will update it because they're reporting your status accurately.

Good Luck to you!!

The last post in this topic was posted 3954 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.