Sign in to follow this  
groze

FTC cracks down on check authorization companies

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130817/COLUMN67/130819883

It is about time they fixed this. The company still needs improving from reading the topix forum. They are denying people that have plenty of money in their account. I read one post where they couldn't even pay a bill with a check.

At least for now you have a legal right to obtain a credit report from the company.

If the above link doesn't work. There are other sites that have them for free.

With techonlgy today, we shouldn't even need those type of companies. Checks can be authroized just like debit and credit cards to see if you have the funds. The banks can even put a hold on funds for electronic checks the same day.

Interesting article, but who uses checks anymore?

"Imagine standing in the line at the grocery store, handing over your check and having it denied. Not a great feeling if you know you haven't done anything wrong."

I can't imagine using a check to pay for groceries.

"Imagine standing in the line at the grocery store, handing over your check and having it denied. Not a great feeling if you know you haven't done anything wrong."

I see a lot of elderly people still using checks at the grocery store. And as always, they have to wait till everything is rung up and the clerk tells them how much the bill is before they reach into their purse or pocket to pull the checkbook out. I see them paying on their accounts at department stores with checks as well. I guess they are not willing to change from their ways even though technology exists that they wouldn't have to. I rarely if ever use checks and the only time in the recent years that I can remember doing so is paying a plumber one time. Those check writing companies better get a new business model because sooner or later this phase of their business will be a thing of the past.

I see a lot of elderly people still using checks at the grocery store. And as always, they have to wait till everything is rung up and the clerk tells them how much the bill is before they reach into their purse or pocket to pull the checkbook out. I see them paying on their accounts at department stores with checks as well. I guess they are not willing to change from their ways even though technology exists that they wouldn't have to. I rarely if ever use checks and the only time in the recent years that I can remember doing so is paying a plumber one time. Those check writing companies better get a new business model because sooner or later this phase of their business will be a thing of the past.

HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I get the part about being set in your ways. What I do NOT get is if they wonder if just maybe this will be the first time in their 80 years that groceries are free, and they won't have to pay after all.

HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I get the part about being set in your ways. What I do NOT get is if they wonder if just maybe this will be the first time in their 80 years that groceries are free, and they won't have to pay after all.

:rofl: I know, right!!

Yeah, using a check in the grocery store has already earned you the wrath of everyone behind you in line. So don't worry about their further consternation when it gets declined.

/>Interesting article, but who uses checks anymore?

Well, if you really wanted to mess with the grocery store, have several shopping carts full of groceries. Your check is then declined and then tell the store you can't buy the stuff. They'll then need to reshelve it all.

Whatever service GoBank uses is the worst. Make a mobile personal check deposit and there's usually a 10 business day hold.

/>/>/>

I was reading that in the United Kingdom they were thinking of phasing out checks, but it's been delayed for now.

I still write a few checks a month. My HOA dues, and an occasional co-pay to the dentist or doctor. I still like the option of writing a check. Making a down payment on something like a house or car I still feel is best by check. I remember in the 90's my monthly bank statement stuffed with checks that they returned. Now it's mostly debit card transactions.

Edited by Burgerwars

/> />/>

I was reading that in the United Kingdom they were thinking of phasing out checks, but it's been delayed for now.

I still write a few checks a month. My HOA dues, and an occasional co-pay to the dentist or doctor. I still like the option of writing a check. Making a down payment on something like a house or car I still feel is best by check. I remember in the 90's my monthly bank statement stuffed with checks that they returned. Now it's mostly debit card transactions.

In the US we can't even phase out pennies.

/> />/>

In the US we can't even phase out pennies.

Very true...and NOTHING costs a penny anymore :grin:

I look forward to the day that all retailers just stop accepting checks. I've written one paper check in the past two years, and that was for first month's rent and security at a new apartment. The last one before that was for a loan I made to my sister and brother-in-law. I'd bet I've written less than a dozen checks in the past 10 years.

I'm not a fan of bank fees, but if banks start charging something absurd like $5.00 for each paper check someone writes, people will quickly adapt to modern times.

HUGE pet peeve of mine.

They do some kind of thing where it comes out as an Electronic Debit the next day or so..

I remember being down and OUT in 2010 and doing TeleCheck at an AutoZone in Indiana....

I look forward to the day that all retailers just stop accepting checks. I've written one paper check in the past two years, and that was for first month's rent and security at a new apartment. The last one before that was for a loan I made to my sister and brother-in-law. I'd bet I've written less than a dozen checks in the past 10 years.

I'm not a fan of bank fees, but if banks start charging something absurd like $5.00 for each paper check someone writes, people will quickly adapt to modern times.

Walmart. NO fee for debit withdrawal up to $100. Saves you whatever that withdrawal fee (for your own money, mind you,) would be at the ATM! :)

Ugh.. I hate checks. I just had to order some new ones because the old ones were from 8 years ago and from an old account. I think I'm averaging about one check every 2.5 years. I need one for a house deposit and another for a school order for my wife, so maybe this will bring my average up.

I still write checks for some things. Rent. Also, I have a student loan whose servicer I don't trust, so they receive a check from me every month so I have proof of payment. Honestly, I would write checks for more of my debts if I wasn't always paying last minute. I also write checks to small businesses whom I want to save the transaction fee of a credit card.

But I mostly use my checks for transferring money between accounts because it's faster than ETF.

I still write checks for some things. Rent. Also, I have a student loan whose servicer I don't trust, so they receive a check from me every month so I have proof of payment. Honestly, I would write checks for more of my debts if I wasn't always paying last minute. I also write checks to small businesses whom I want to save the transaction fee of a credit card.

But I mostly use my checks for transferring money between accounts because it's faster than ETF.

Planning ahead is a wonderful thing.

I still use checks for rent every month (and the water/trash bill.....so at least 2 checks/mo), also use checks for things like Dr co-pay bills and the like....oh ya, and my insurance bill every year. There is still a use for checks.

I still use checks for rent every month (and the water/trash bill.....so at least 2 checks/mo), also use checks for things like Dr co-pay bills and the like....oh ya, and my insurance bill every year. There is still a use for checks.

Billpay?

My doctors always accept CC... might as well get points.

I agree, it's just been a bad year so I've been playing catch-up on a lot of things. I'll get there someday.

I agree, it's just been a bad year so I've been playing catch-up on a lot of things. I'll get there someday.

:D

Billpay?

My doctors always accept CC... might as well get points.

Another points w*re like me. I love it.