Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Just sharing

The last post in this topic was posted 2664 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have been curious lately how far lenders will go these days to approve a mortgage. It seems like they have tightened up lending based on what I read, but I wanted to share with everyone a case where a mortgage was approved and I truley did not think it would have been or should have been. This was not for me, but someone close to me and although I tried to talk some sense into her, you know how we can be when we want something- it doesn't matter at what cost or if it is wise.

Here are the facts:

Good credit score >720

2nd home purchase, 1st home is currently a month to month rental with maybe $15k equity- rental income was not used to qualify.

Purchase price of new home $270,000

3.5% down, FHA loan

Seller paid closing costs.

DTI- 55%

This person has a good job with longeveity and makes ~$90k per year.

What gets me, is the DTI and what she had to do to get that DTI. I think a responsible underwriter would have not approved this loan, but maybe they don't see what I see and maybe in the end they just don't care.

A year ago, she took out an unsecured loan for $30k to pay off a $20k credit card that she was over the limit on. She also had another credit card that was close to being maxed out at $20k.

She paid off the 1st credit card and spent the remaining $10k of the insecured loan. She then proceeded to put another $10k on the credit card she just took a loan to pay off. So instead of reducing her debt as planned, she increased her debt by $20k.

She decided to buy this 2nd home. To qualify at a 55% back end ratio, she had to pay off her credit cards. To do this, she took out a 5 year 401k loan of $42k which is half of her 401k. She paid off $30k in credit cards and used the remaining towards her down payment etc... Her payments back to herself with be roughly $750 per month for the next 5 years which is not calculated into the DTI.

To close, she had to show proof that she closed the credit card accounts. She had already started charging on one of them (within 1 week of paying them off). When she called the credit card companies, she made sure she would be able to reopen the accounts once she closed on the house- which of course they assured her "yes", she can repopen her credit cards. She closed the accounts, provided her proof, closed on the house and has reopened her credit cards of $40k credit line.

Obviously, the underwriter could see she had an issue with credit cards, but the condition she imposed was merely for show to make it look like she had been a responsible underwriter and reduced the risk on the loan.

I have helped this person with her budget a year ago when she was drowning in debt and every bite she took was on credit. Just one month ago, she bounced a couple of checks, one of which was for $1000 for her rent! How could she get approved for an $1800 per month mortgage when she doesn't have the money to cover $1000 in rent? I know they looked at her bank statements- I thought they wanted to see that people can manage their money?

I know lenders do not look at other things such as utilities, auto insurance and gas etc... which is great for some, but they have approved a loan that will give her $600 a month left per month to pay every monthly expense that does not show up on a credit report. And when her month to month renters finally move out, she will be negative $800 every month until she rents it again. Just as her history shows, her credit cards will absorb her cost of living until she reaches the limit again- then what?

I guess with good income, a good credit score, and a 401k of $40k as reserves, you can get a mortgage with FHA up to 55%.

I read somewhere that with the right lender FHA DTI can go up to almost 60%. Her scores would indicate that, despite her spending habits and budget woes, she's been able to maintain her credit somehow. The bounced check may not have come into play, esp with overdraft protection and/or if it happened after her statements were provided. 90k in 401k is nothing to sneeze at, so I imagine she's a good saver at least and has some cash going to that every paycheck. It's possible a good chunk of the remaining balance in her 401k could be used to prevent foreclosure, and at $1800/mo, that could get her pretty far. I don't think UW has any leverage after you close so what would you expect them to do about re-opening her accounts? It's a smart tactical maneuver imo, though scary if she keeps running them up. And chances are, if something goes awry, she would default on the rental before she would default on her primary residence. Everything is risk based.

I do get your concerns about her spending habits though. Hopefully she'll do just fine. If anything, she might get her money's worth for the exorbitant PMI she'll be paying.

Thank you for the insight, I see your points.

I wanted her to get a house, just something with a lower mortgage that wouldn't allow herself to keep digging herself into a hole. We are our own worst enemy :) I am scared for her and I thought with all the new criteria in place, lenders would steer her in a different direction. I thought FHA at 55% was in the past. Yeah, she can always use her retirement to dig out of trouble in the future.

However, she has not contributed anything to her 401k since she was married and divorced in 2010, so she has not been able to save without her husband's influence. Husband also paid for her car, paid off her student loans, and gave her $40k for the downpayment on the 1st home. I know he has everything to do with her good credit score. Before him, she was close to BK. Of course, I don't expect an underwriter to do anything about the credit cards once she closes, but doesn't the underwriter know that particular condition is pretty much a BS condition? Most people are going to reopen those Credit Cards and the underwiter knows it. Overdraft did not cover the NSF and she had to give an up to the moment bank statement to the lender to show the flow of the 401k money etc so I am sure it (plus many others NSF's) were on there.

If this is an example of the loans that are being approved, foreclosures will keep coming.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know you can reopen credit lines. Lending standards will be cyclical imo. But, if she's making 90k a year and makes the house payment a priority, she'll be fine. I'd be shaking in my boots if I was one of the CC issuers though. :grin:

The last post in this topic was posted 2664 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mido
      Hello CV and everyone,  Wanted your brutal opinion because I am in the process of refinancing my FHA loan and just received the loan closing disclosure (CD) today but wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing and/or its worth it or Not.

My current FHA loan as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      Current Loan interest rate is 3.25% (closed this loan 13 months ago) 
      Original Loan Amount $393K
      Current Principal Balance $383K (30yrs loan and nearly 29 yrs left).
      Loan Maturity date 08/2049 
      Current Monthly payment $2400 (Principal $671+ Interest $1,038 + Escrow $690)

VS.

My FHA refinance loan will be as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      New Loan interest rate is 2.75%  
      Original Loan Amount $387K
      Principal Balance $387K (30yrs loan).
      Loan Maturity date 11/2050
      New Monthly payment $2391 (Principal + Interest = $1,582 + Escrow $542 + PMI 267)
      Cash to close from borrower (me) $2089

Thank you all for your feed back.
    • By GLW
      Hi Folks - I'm scheduled to close on a new construction home 8/30. The kids start school here in MD on 9/3. They enroll in new schools and I want to get them settled as much as possible. That background might come in handy for the scenario that I'm seeking advice on.

Here's the scenario: purchase price is $439,540. I'm currently doing an FHA loan with 3.5% down. My mortgage credit score is 726. The loan estimate has me paying $300 month in PMI. The issue is that in October I get my yearly sales bonus; at that time I can put down the ~$90K needed to cover the 20% down payment to remove PMI. Questions for those experienced in the industry:

1. Should / can I delay closing for two months? If so should I go conventional?
      2. Should I move forward with the FHA loan and refinance quickly? How soon can one refinance?
      3. Should I move forward with the FHA loan and simply pay $90K on the principal of the loan and reduce the amount to have PMI removed?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    • By usermi
      Hi guys,

Well, I've been trying to buy a house, I was shooting for a conventional loan but just found out that since I had a short sale I don't qualify for a conventional per new rules (funny, earlier in the year I was able to do conventional, who's making these rules? lol), lender said FHA will work. Is there any loophole that allows me to do conventional? If not I still want to see what you guys think about the numbers under my situation.

This is my situation:
      - short sale in november 2011
      - 680 credit score (thanks for advice was able to take out some disputes)
      - 130K price

These are the numbers my mortgage person is offering under FHA:
      - APR: 5.472%
      - Finance charge 122,382
      - Amount Financed: 123,982
      - Total of Payments: 246,364
      - Interest Rate: 3.875%
      - Principal and Interest: $600
      - Estimated Taxes and Insurance: 534

Not happy about the upfront 1.75 MIP Fee, but next november I will qualify for a conventional so I might look to refinance if the rates look appealing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I could wait and get another house maybe next november but with this house I could have roommates that will basically pay for all my expenses and the street has the space with just the right layout to accommodate all the cars, sweet!

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    • By philiclese
      I want to buy a second home in NY area (would love to hear from those who can lend in NY) and here is my situation- hopefully it's all you need to offer opinions.
      1. Own a home in Fl. with approx. 180k left on mort. Worth 280 but dont want to get second mort. since family member co owns. Total payments with prin, int, insur, taxes is $1400 monthy that I pay by myself- co owner doesn't live here. Plus I have $225 community dues monthly, no other regular monthly payments- no car loan or credit card balance- use debit card.
      2. Net worth approx. 2 Mil but 500k is weird stuff...private RE partnerships, 1/3 of an insurance trust, etc- that I doubt banks would consider. Plus IRA of 70k. I don't want to pay all cash for second home because mostly in family partnership with siblings, but that I can get document full access and continuing payments from it
      3. No earned income- retired. Excellent credit- 775 on Myfico which I think is the "real" Fico score.
      4. I know there are "Asset Depletion" programs from having posted previously- I found a bank document online explaining how to underwrite these I estimate they would credit me about 1.1 mil. for my assets after applying 70% factor to stocks, and -if I recall- 70% to my IRA since Im under 59- Im 56. I figure at 1.1 Mil at 4% on 30 years I would get credit for approx. 6k for month as income under the banks standards(?)
      5. I have read that FHA has looser standards for front end and back end ratios, including up to 50% or more on back end ratio and perhaps 45% on front end. I believe the mortgage payments on my primary residence would be consider part of the back end ratio when calculating for new mortgage on 2nd home.

So by my calculations based on around $70k annual "asset depletion" income, approx. 1650 annual expenses- which is all due to existing home costs- and before new second home mortgage, and these higher ratios- 45% front end and 55% back end (if really available????) and a down payment of 50k plus on 250 second home, can I hopefully get close to the requred 200k mortgage??

I realize I am asking for something unusual between the higher ratios and the asset-depletion, but hoping someone on here can give some advice or is experienced enough to know how this would go. Thanks!
    • By SEOGirl
      Hello,

My husband and I have been patiently waiting to buy a home for years. We had a lot of obsticles that kept us from being where we needed to be that we have now overcome. We have been in a lease purchase for the past couple of years for a home that we will be purchasing for $250K and we have accured about 10K for the downpayment though we may be able to come up with a few grand more if needed to close.

Here are our current issues: I am self employed & my spouse is on SS Disability. His income is non-taxable. Majority of my income is through a contractor position that I have held with the same employer for over 6 years now. After our accountant completed our income taxes this past year, I was concerned it might not appear that we make enough income to qualify. I currently bring in 60K per year for this contract posiiton plus another 5-10K in additional contract work. I have roughly 5-7K in expenses however, the way my home office is setup it is a large portion of our home and after they completed the home office exemption and household related expenses, my taxable income appeared to only be about 20K.

Since the majority of the reasons my income looks so low is due to our home expenses which would be similar if we were to purchase the house, how would they look at my income for qualifying for a mortgage? Would they look at it before the home office exemption was used or after? Also, I have heard that SSD income is sometimes counted as more due to being non-taxable. Is that true? My spouses income from SSD is roughly $30K.

I also wondered if being self-employed ended up causing too much problems if my employer ended up hiring me a a fulltime employee instead of a contractor if that would change the situation. We had discussed doing that as well anyways.

I appreciate all of your input. I have been dreaming of being a homeowner for so long and we finally found our dream home that couldn't be more perfect for our children.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Climaxxll
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines