Sign in to follow this  

Defaulting on EVERYTHING

/>

So, again... If I work, do I kill my chances?

Joseph, if I were in your shoes, I would be taking the job, making sure to make less than the max they allow, and keep your bills current. Besides, it could take a year or two to see any results on your SSD. Can you go a year with zero income? Take the job Joseph. You need to be smart about this.

I agree, LKH.

Will call tomorrow!

I would take a job and not count on the SSD. Also, make sure to get/keep your student loans in forbearance and then there is 1 less bill you have to worry about.

Take the job, pay the minimum, . Chill out ,and sleep on it , borrow the minimum payment if you have to.

Don't default.

Rebuilding is not easy and you have come a long way.

Don't give up!

I made $80 today. Helping someone move. I hope he needs me tomorrow!

:)

Now, to cancel my T-Mobile service.........

If you believe in your case and believe you are qualified, go for it. Your back pay will be worth it. In the meantime, do find some work to pay the minimums and keep on track. Forget the interest and what it might cost you. You can't mess up the credit you worked so hard to earn. If/when you get your back pay, you can catch up on all your bills. This situation is not ideal, but it is doable with careful planning, caps on spending, and some hard work.

If you are going for SSDI, then yes, you can work as long as it is not substantial, gainful employment. I went through this process. From applying to being paid, it took 2yrs 11months. During that time, I worked making about $800/mo avg, but I even worked 2 jobs at one point (I had to keep trying to work. I never want to believe that disability will be my future). What helped the judge decide my case was the therapy I had, doctor's notes, etc. Working did complicate my case when it came time for payment. It took 10 months for them to work through my employment earnings. They will check each month you work to ensure you were not substantially, gainfully employed. The good thing is that if you were to be over the income threshold for a month or two, they will not pay out for those one of two months, but will pay out for the other months.

With that being said, if you feel like you can work part-time, then do so. You will be asked about days of worked missed, etc. You'll have to answer that as it applies to your situation. I was honest in my hearing with the ALJ and I am sure he noticed. He asked so many questions, that I began crying. This situation is demeaning and can be terribly overwhelming, but they will try their best to help you get substantial, gainful employment.

In Philly, I used some lawyer with the last name of Jaffee and he dropped my case on a Friday and we were going to court on Monday. He dropped it because he said I hadn't called him to go over testimony (part of my mental health concerns) and since I had been working, the case would be difficult to win. My hearing was put back for rescheduling, so I had to find an attorney asap! I was advised to go with Eric Shore, so I did and I am happy that crappy lawyer dropped me. Shore's office won my case, despite me working 2 years while going through the process.

If you applied for SSDI, were denied, and now have a date, that date should be with the ALJ. Your lawyers office seems a little inexperienced. You may need new representation and if so, switch asap so SS knows who to contact in regards to your case.

Please don't give up. No one in their right mind wants to have to live like this, but once everything is settled, you'll have to live within your means. There are also programs that will help you work while still getting your benefits, in hopes that one day, you won't need the funds anymore.

SSI is a totally different story. You cannot work while going for this. If you do, you will probably be denied.

If you have anymore questions, ask away.

Having been through the process myself, I suggest:

1. Stick with the lawyer. They take a chunk of money but they also have experience in filling out the paperwork effectively

2. Don't work. It shows you have capacity to perform some functions and that will absolutely clutter up your review.

3. Don't work under the table. If you do, don't talk about it to anyone. Period.

4. If you don't have approval within 5 months of applying, ask your senator to do an inquiry with SSA. They do it all the time. It fast-tracks your file.

5. Don't do anything rash, like a BK, until you square away your benefits. Plenty of people rack up delinquencies while waiting for approval. Wait until you have more information and can make better choices.

I applied without using a lawyer and had approval in 6 months. While you're bracing for the worst, don't assume that has to be the case. Submit flawless paperwork, show you can't work by NOT working, and pull out the big guns if things start to drag out.

Edited by gogogophers

I made $80 today. Helping someone move. I hope he needs me tomorrow!

:)

Now, to cancel my T-Mobile service.........

Awesome! Keep up the good work.

wait, didnt you just get the t-mobile phone. If you cancel it you are going to be on the hook for the price of the I phone you got.

Joseph, I don't want to sound like an flowers but people were warning you that you were getting too much credit. Please start listening to the wise people on this board.

Stop Applying for credit

Pay your current bills

Get a Job

Even if you get a job for $500 a month and you get turned down for SSDI because of it you are still way ahead.

500x24 months= 12k and keeping your credit and having food

0x24 months, then getting SSDI for $700= $16800- 25%= $12600 but ruined credit and lack of a livable life for 2 years. Be smart and get a job and hope for the best in the SSDI fight.

Good Luck Joseph, we are all pulling for you

Edited by futurehomeowner?

In reference to the iphone, as futurehomeowner said, you will be on the hook for the phone if you cancel your service. If you keep it though, cut your service plan back to $50/mo. It's easier to live without Facetime than a phone.

HI

what the lawyer should tell you is that it can take years to get approved by ssi. Then of course every 8 years or less you have to

be able to verify with doctors that you are still not able to work. By working even part time you are verifying that you can work even

in a part time possiton. This is a big decision but if you need it then it's a good means to get help while you need it. I did research when I

needed ssi as I got refused first that 90% of applications are refuse to wittle people that did not need it. It is sad that it comes to that.

I know as it took me a year to get approve and I was blessed that my family was there for me.

take care.

If you believe in your case and believe you are qualified, go for it. Your back pay will be worth it. In the meantime, do find some work to pay the minimums and keep on track. Forget the interest and what it might cost you. You can't mess up the credit you worked so hard to earn. If/when you get your back pay, you can catch up on all your bills. This situation is not ideal, but it is doable with careful planning, caps on spending, and some hard work.

If you are going for SSDI, then yes, you can work as long as it is not substantial, gainful employment. I went through this process. From applying to being paid, it took 2yrs 11months. During that time, I worked making about $800/mo avg, but I even worked 2 jobs at one point (I had to keep trying to work. I never want to believe that disability will be my future). What helped the judge decide my case was the therapy I had, doctor's notes, etc. Working did complicate my case when it came time for payment. It took 10 months for them to work through my employment earnings. They will check each month you work to ensure you were not substantially, gainfully employed. The good thing is that if you were to be over the income threshold for a month or two, they will not pay out for those one of two months, but will pay out for the other months.

With that being said, if you feel like you can work part-time, then do so. You will be asked about days of worked missed, etc. You'll have to answer that as it applies to your situation. I was honest in my hearing with the ALJ and I am sure he noticed. He asked so many questions, that I began crying. This situation is demeaning and can be terribly overwhelming, but they will try their best to help you get substantial, gainful employment.

In Philly, I used some lawyer with the last name of Jaffee and he dropped my case on a Friday and we were going to court on Monday. He dropped it because he said I hadn't called him to go over testimony (part of my mental health concerns) and since I had been working, the case would be difficult to win. My hearing was put back for rescheduling, so I had to find an attorney asap! I was advised to go with Eric Shore, so I did and I am happy that crappy lawyer dropped me. Shore's office won my case, despite me working 2 years while going through the process.

If you applied for SSDI, were denied, and now have a date, that date should be with the ALJ. Your lawyers office seems a little inexperienced. You may need new representation and if so, switch asap so SS knows who to contact in regards to your case.

Please don't give up. No one in their right mind wants to have to live like this, but once everything is settled, you'll have to live within your means. There are also programs that will help you work while still getting your benefits, in hopes that one day, you won't need the funds anymore.

SSI is a totally different story. You cannot work while going for this. If you do, you will probably be denied.

If you have anymore questions, ask away.

Eric Shore.. Ever heard of http://www.cfg-law.com/?

I almost went with the offices of Shore, but his office has two horrific reviews on Google "If you want t be treated like a number."

This one.. Yes, they said November is ALJ.

And I maybe got a job paying minimum wage today :) Line packing nonsense. I will know in two days! :D

In reference to the iphone, as futurehomeowner said, you will be on the hook for the phone if you cancel your service. If you keep it though, cut your service plan back to $50/mo. It's easier to live without Facetime than a phone.

Dumping the phone, yes.

I had 14 days to "trade it back in." Now, at 23 days or so, I get a $199 credit.. to a $480 phone.

It's all good. IF I get this job, I'm getting an S4 and never looking back. Android, insurance on it.. yeah, I'll be set.

wait, didnt you just get the t-mobile phone. If you cancel it you are going to be on the hook for the price of the I phone you got.

Joseph, I don't want to sound like an flowers but people were warning you that you were getting too much credit. Please start listening to the wise people on this board.

Stop Applying for credit

You don't sound like an flowers. :)

And my "Therapist" at WES http://www.drwes.org/ recommended this law office, which I now have appointment with and am client of, http://www.cfg-law.com/social-security-ssi-disability-law/

Firefox has messed up c/p formatting.

Cohen, Fluhr, González & Pinillos,
P.C. represents individuals who have been denied Social Security
Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability
benefits. Our professional staff works closely with each individual
client to provide advice and protect your rights throughout this
challenging process. No fee is charged in Social Security/SSI disability
cases until we win the case. Call us today to set up a consultation
with one of our Social Security and Disability attorneys in
Philadelphia.

We can assist you at all levels of the administrative claims process,
including the initial application stage as well as at your hearing
before an Administrative Law Judge. We also handle appeals before the
Social Security Appeals Council and at the Federal Court level. Let one
of our team be your trusted Philadelphia Social Security lawyer.

What we can do:

• Analyze the facts and law of your situation to determine the strongest arguments to win your case.
  • Obtain the proper records from your healthcare providers.
  • Assist you in keeping records that will detail your condition and the extent of your disability.
  • Monitor the status of your claim as it proceeds through the complicated Social Security Administration system.
  • Ensure that you receive all Social Security Disability Insurance and SSI disability benefits to which you are entitled.

No fee is charged in Social Security/SSI disability cases

until your case is approved.

Edited by rslifkin

I probably have some late payments at this point. I was chasing my own flowers. EVERYONE saying "Don't work, don't get a job, DON'T WORK, DON'T GET A JOB IF YOU WANT THE SSI." I am no longer friends with these people. Straight up.

Now, next question.. I did not accept the job yet.

Any chance I can talk them into paying me "Under the table?"

This is a factory of some kind.

I don't think they will...........

no

Ok.

The thing that I don't get, and gogogophers pretty muc echoed everyone that said "Don't get a job," is.. If I make minimum wage, even working decent hours but under SGI limit, (and I will tell the job this?) and it shows up on W2s, then they put it to my Foodstamps etc etc OK OK and this job is in NJ btw.. but if it is consistent with the limited skills I have, and I want to keep working to put into SSI and I can't wait for an iffy approval.. Am I missing something here?

And if My lawyer doesn't like it, I can just go to Eric Shore? Here are his reviews... http://www.1800cantwork.com/ http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=4b16b03c9490329e&q=law+office+eric+shore+reviews&lrd=lrd <-- Read reviews #1 and 3...

The only review I can get for www.cfg-law.com (They represent me at this time) is for Immigration. http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=4b16b03c9490329e&q=law+office+cohen+fluhr+gonzalez&lrd=lrd

Edited by rslifkin

Jesus dude, be a man, stand on your own two feet.

Can you work? Yes? Take a job. Simple as that to me. If you can work, you must work. SSDI should be only for people who truly cannot work. Not for people who find work challenging.

Playing the game of "If I work they'll take away my free money" is so ludicrous that I cannot understand it. I've seen it before and it upsets me to no end.

You know, every dime of money you take from the government comes out of somebody else's pockets. Why exactly should the public support you?

Can you work? Yes? Take a job. Simple as that to me. If you can work, you must work. SSDI should be only for people who truly cannot work. Not for people who find work challenging.

Playing the game of "If I work they'll take away my free money" is so ludicrous that I cannot understand it. I've seen it before and it upsets me to no end.

You know, every dime of money you take from the government comes out of somebody else's pockets. Why exactly should the public support you?

While I agree with some points you made, the answer to all of your questions is "disabilities."

It is sort of like "Who made your money better than everyone else's." Entitememt issues.

Ever been shot in the head then had Frontal Lobe Syndrome in your life? No? Well, what if you could kinda work, but you KNEW the only way you can get successful and live a prosperous life is to: 1. Make your own way, make a move, be a millionaire; 2. with help for what you cannot do, 3. Get the help, THEN be a millionaire, maybe pay it back?? ????

This is the one that did me, and I am still alive. Ruger 96/22. The distinctive lever action. Says so on police report. Maybe I will ask attorney to help me get it from the police department, once my legal woes pass (they have not yet.)

PICT1559%20(medium).jpg

^^ I mean, hey.. since you want to talk "disability." How about a Full life. Get shot with THAT, knock yourself unconscious. THEN stand in judgement.....

Edited by rslifkin

While I agree with some points you made, the answer to all of your questions is "disabilities."

It is sort of like "Who made your money better than everyone else's." Entitememt issues.

Ever been shot in the head then had Frontal Lobe Syndrome in your life? No? Well, what if you could kinda work, but you KNEW the only way you can get successful and live a prosperous life is to: 1. Make your own way, make a move, be a millionaire; 2. with help for what you cannot do, 3. Get the help, THEN be a millionaire, maybe pay it back?? ????

This is the one that did me, and I am still alive. Ruger 96/22. The distinctive lever action. Says so on police report. Maybe I will ask attorney to help me get it from the police department, once my legal woes pass (they have not yet.)

PICT1559%20(medium).jpg

^^ I mean, hey.. since you want to talk "disability." How about a Full life. Get shot with THAT, knock yourself unconscious. THEN stand in judgement.....

Would imagine PP has NO IDEA of the chronic, ongoing, disabling nature of your injuries.

Wouldn't really bother spelling it out any further. Some folks do. not. get. it. -unless it happens to them. unfortunately.

Do press on. You will prevail.

Edited by virtualtreasure

The job appeared not to be serious, so.. I still pursue "Under the table" first, if it fits.

As to whether to earnestly seek work or not? Bump////

And thank you to everyone that understands, and is pulling for me. Sick of dealing with the Romneys of the situation, that have not a clue about how the real world works.

Edited by rslifkin

Hi Joseph - Only you and your doctors can decide whether or not you are capable of long-term gainful employment. It's nice to be able to bounce things off the ppl here that you have grown to trust but we are not doctors and can't really advise you on whether or not you can work.

I agree with the posters who told you to only work under the table until you find out whether or not you are approved for SS.....Unless your attorney advises you differently. If you plan on taking a paycheck paying position, please run it by your attorney first. There are all sorts of rules involved in this process and you could ruin your chances of obtaining approval if you make the wrong move.

The transition from work to disability is a difficult decision and not one most people take lightly. I lost my entire identity when I could no longer work. After working everyday for thirty years, I had to admit that my health simply would not allow me to continue. The decision was not made lightly, but really one that was forced on me. I was so upset and scared about the loss of my independence that I had to go into therapy. Some people will rush to judgment about you when they don't know the entire situation. Don't let those critics hurt your feelings. Do what is best for you.

Good luck.