Sign in to follow this  
okala

Any national/online banks that DON'T use ChexSystems or hard pull credit report?

I've been "window-shopping" and came across ClearSky Accounts, the online arm of Chesapeake Bank (Virginia), that offers a not-too-shabby interest rate on both their checking and savings accounts. Anybody have any experience with them? Just thought they looked kind of interesting, and thought I'd float it as another possibility if people have had good results. :) Any feedback?

https://www.clearskyaccounts.com

I ended up opening a Fidelity account, and am going to keep a very close eye on it, since people seem to be of mixed opinion on them and Chex or account closures.I've also considered TDAmeritrade -- I'm not near an office for either one of them, so distance banking/investing is going to the norm for me.

Ultimately what I'd love to do is keep some money in a brokerage account in case I also decide I want to invest a little, and then keep most of my cash in high-yield checking or savings, or both, if I can find a good one.

Hello Upthecreek, when I opened US Bank my credit is definitely in a big sink hole. I have 1 judgement, several several defaulted student loans(in repayment program), several chargeoffs, and several medicals(working on HIPPA program now). My credit scores are ugggghhh (check my siggy). I also have 2 entries on Chex Systems, and an entry in EWS. After applying for US Bank I was approved, there is no hard pull on either of my CRs (don't think they pull credit), they only pulled Chex Systems for me and they have a second chance policy). My Chex System entries are a little less than 2 years and also my EWS entry. I was very cautious when I applied but really needed a bank account badly. I am not sure what area you are in but honestly I would try at an US Bank location that is inside of a grocery store (Ralph's, Von's) this may not matter but as I go into different locations now for banking business I notice the stand alone US bank locations do not mention the second chance banking as the store site locations. (this may not matter, just a thought). I am in southern Cal, and my US Bank account is still doing well with no problems or issues. I would give it a try and also take a look at what is on your credit report by ordering all three directly from EX, EQ, and TU. Continue to read creditboards as much as possible, ask questions, and post improvements. I thought I was in a hopeless situation also but since actually taking the step to correct my credit and continually reading CB, I am seeing some excellent deletions and a lot of mistakes. Good luck Upthecreek.

Hello Upthecreek, when I opened US Bank my credit is definitely in a big sink hole. I have 1 judgement, several several defaulted student loans(in repayment program), several chargeoffs, and several medicals(working on HIPPA program now). My credit scores are ugggghhh (check my siggy). I also have 2 entries on Chex Systems, and an entry in EWS. After applying for US Bank I was approved, there is no hard pull on either of my CRs (don't think they pull credit), they only pulled Chex Systems for me and they have a second chance policy). My Chex System entries are a little less than 2 years and also my EWS entry. I was very cautious when I applied but really needed a bank account badly. I am not sure what area you are in but honestly I would try at an US Bank location that is inside of a grocery store (Ralph's, Von's) this may not matter but as I go into different locations now for banking business I notice the stand alone US bank locations do not mention the second chance banking as the store site locations. (this may not matter, just a thought). I am in southern Cal, and my US Bank account is still doing well with no problems or issues. I would give it a try and also take a look at what is on your credit report by ordering all three directly from EX, EQ, and TU. Continue to read creditboards as much as possible, ask questions, and post improvements. I thought I was in a hopeless situation also but since actually taking the step to correct my credit and continually reading CB, I am seeing some excellent deletions and a lot of mistakes. Good luck Upthecreek.

Thanks for your reply Dnyce it gives me hope. I wonder if I should wait until I can make payroll deposits because that might help my chances. On the other hand you never know when the policy could disappear.

Hello Upthecreek just FYI, I didn't add direct deposit until after I was approved and received notice that my card was on its way (about 2 weeks later). Good luck, I would say go for it. Let us know how it all goes.

I think I finally have myself settled into a banking situation that's going to be most beneficial to me, and I wanna thank those in this and other threads who helped me! :) Just to answer a question I posed earlier about the "ClearSky Accounts" from Chesapeake Bank (Virginia), contrary to what I've seen elsewhere on the web, they DO use Chex, as I got denied because of that. I'm glad that there are lots of other great options out there for people.

For me, between a brokerage account (I have one at each Fidelity and TDAmeritrade, both to see which service I like better, and to safeguard myself in case Fidelity has indeed started closing accounts due to one of its partners using Chex) and an online high-yield savings account (Sallie Mae Bank, since my student loans are serviced by them, and I can get a savings rebate), I am very well set.

Thanks, everybody!

Things are bleak. Possibly hopeless. I would like to try US Bank but not sure if its wise since bad credit + judgement + checksystems + possible lien coming soon. The first creditor to throw me under the bus was my bank of 20 years. That was over 8 years ago. Been off the finance grid but still hope to get at least a bank account if not also a credit card of some kind. Will US Bank give me an account or is it not worth the risk? I have no idea what my credit numbers are but until this year I had started getting a few card offers again. Also worried about losing my deposits to banking system and/or judgement. I need all the advice I can get. Thanks.

If it was 8 years ago that you were reported to chexsystems .. it would have been removed by now. Where exactly do you live?

Okay, question regarding the various brokerage accounts that are available nationwide: which ones are safe to open if you are on Chex or EWS? I just got off the phone with TDAmeritrade, and apparently there's some sort of hitch with them and having a debit card issued, based on a decision made by TDBank. They won't, of course, tell me what it's about or what's going on...and they didn't notify me before this despite my account being open for awhile until I called. Of course, given my issues with Chex and EWS, I have a sinking feeling I know what that was about -- either that, or a credit-report based decision, though I didn't see any sort of pull from TD Bank or anything when I looked the other day.

I opened one with Fidelity, and I love the speed with which Fidelity responded and issued everything, but an earlier post by MCA now has me worried to even work with this account out of fear of having it shut down, so I'm a bit wary to start putting my assets into it and using it. So I'm wondering if ETrade is a viable option (not ETrade Bank, but rather just the brokerage account that includes the debit card and all).

Needless to say, after being on the phone with TDA, I feel a bit sick to my stomach and like I'm not making any steps forward here like I'd hoped. :(

Okay, question regarding the various brokerage accounts that are available nationwide: which ones are safe to open if you are on Chex or EWS? I just got off the phone with TDAmeritrade, and apparently there's some sort of hitch with them and having a debit card issued, based on a decision made by TDBank. They won't, of course, tell me what it's about or what's going on...and they didn't notify me before this despite my account being open for awhile until I called. Of course, given my issues with Chex and EWS, I have a sinking feeling I know what that was about -- either that, or a credit-report based decision, though I didn't see any sort of pull from TD Bank or anything when I looked the other day.

I opened one with Fidelity, and I love the speed with which Fidelity responded and issued everything, but an earlier post by MCA now has me worried to even work with this account out of fear of having it shut down, so I'm a bit wary to start putting my assets into it and using it. So I'm wondering if ETrade is a viable option (not ETrade Bank, but rather just the brokerage account that includes the debit card and all).

Needless to say, after being on the phone with TDA, I feel a bit sick to my stomach and like I'm not making any steps forward here like I'd hoped. :(

Keep us updated on this.

I went ahead and transferred all my money out of my TDAmeritrade account since it's not a lot of good to me without efficient cash-management features. I don't know what their decision to deny me check-writing privileges was based on, as I haven't seen any inquiries on my credit, and I haven't received any letters regarding that decision (I ordered my Chex report shortly before opening the account, so if I have an inquiry on there from TD, I don't know at this point...). I don't know whether to warn people about TD or not, because they didn't close the account, per se, they just didn't authorize a debit card, check-writing, or bill-pay (all as the result of a decision by TDBank, apparently -- that's all I could get out of the rep...). They happily would've let me keep trading on the account.

Anyway, I just wanted to give people a heads-up about my TDAmeritrade experience, and to say thanks to those who have mentioned the national options of E*TRADE Brokerage and Armed Forces Bank, because I was able to establish myself with both of them, and I'm just awaiting the debit cards (I don't typically order checks for accounts, though the option was there for both accounts...). Thanks to this community, I feel like I'm on hopefully stable banking footing now, and will even be able to start investing a bit in my future for brighter days ahead. :)

Edited by ChadsterMD

Fort Sill National Bank, They have locations in AR, CA, DE, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN and Texas. You do not have to be in the service to open an account. THEY DO NOT USE CHEXSYSTEMS OR PULL CREDIT to get an account. The US number is 1-580-357-9880. website, www.fsnb.com

USbank for sure.

Go in branch, do not apply online.

I've in chex several times, EWS, poor credit, everything you can think of.

My USbank is still going, debit card, secured credit card, it's all good.

Chase Bank has the Chase Liquid Debit Card it's a very good card I have it you can deposit: checks, Cash, direct deposit, in the local branch and by ATM. For deposit check through ATM I would wait 30 days. Down fall you must go inside the local branch and no checks are issuer for written, no mobile deposit, but you do have access to your account for mobile.

Chase Liquid will run EWS - and may not approve is your Chexsystems information is less than 36 months old.

Fort Sill National Bank, They have locations in AR, CA, DE, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN and Texas. You do not have to be in the service to open an account. THEY DO NOT USE CHEXSYSTEMS OR PULL CREDIT to get an account. The US number is 1-580-357-9880. website, www.fsnb.com

I was told that they now run a credit report but still do not use chexsystems

USbank for sure.

Go in branch, do not apply online.

I've in chex several times, EWS, poor credit, everything you can think of.

My USbank is still going, debit card, secured credit card, it's all good.

Ditto.. and best to try an "in store location"

Things are bleak. Possibly hopeless. I would like to try US Bank but not sure if its wise since bad credit + judgement + checksystems + possible lien coming soon. The first creditor to throw me under the bus was my bank of 20 years. That was over 8 years ago. Been off the finance grid but still hope to get at least a bank account if not also a credit card of some kind. Will US Bank give me an account or is it not worth the risk? I have no idea what my credit numbers are but until this year I had started getting a few card offers again. Also worried about losing my deposits to banking system and/or judgement. I need all the advice I can get. Thanks.

How old are your report(s) to chexsystems?

I am hoping my reply here is not too late.

I just got accepted for several checking accounts.

My credit is bad at 495 and had a chexsystem report by BOA for $5000 back in 2010.

And recently got Wells Fargo closed my account.

I read the forum for a while and I decided to give it a try.

First, I applied for GoBank and got accepted.

Then, I applied for CitiBank online and they accept me as well.

But I still want a bank with branches near me, so I tried US bank in my local Albertson Supermarket.

And the banker is really helpful and accepted my application with no problem.

All they do is soft pull my credit, and as I said, my credit is not pretty, but they don't care.

I got a temp debit card right away, and got email telling me my debit card is on the way the same day.

I do hope you have US Bank branch in the Market near you.

If not, you still have CitiBank and GoBank to fall back.

Good Luck!

TD bank does not use Chex. At least not in New York. I opened a checking account yesterday and asked them if they use Chex and the answer is no.

DId you apply online? Which checking account did you apply for?

I applied online for a virtual wallet account.

Generally we are now seeing that PNC does not use chexsystems but will run an EWS report after an account is opened