Sign in to follow this  
Saleen

Amex 3x CLI Message

Today I tried to request the 3x CLI on my BCE. I requested it online through my mobile phone as I was headed to work. My initial CL was $9400 and the account was opened 6/28/13 so I had thought I had the 61 days beat by a day or so. The message I received was I would receive a letter in 7-10 days.

I called in afterwards to the CSR and I asked did I jump the gun in asking for an increase since my account was so new. He said it takes at least 90 days before an increase can be requested. Has anyone recently tried the 3x or any CLI and been told to wait 90 days? Maybe it is still 61 days and he wasn't sure and I requested it a day or so early and was rejected? Like I say, I was approved online 6/28. Any ideas because I had really hoped for the CLI! TIA

A couple of thoughts:

1) You may have been too early. I don't think the CSR was correct, unless they changed their policy recently.

2) You are really at risk of FR asking for more than 25K. As I understand it, Amex's internal exposure limit, while allowing for over 25K, makes them a bit touchy over that amount.

I'm sorry. It was 5/28 not 6/28!! I tried for $23,500 to stay under FR and figured worst case scenario they would counter offer with something. Still the rep said 90 days before CLI were allowed. Everything on this board suggests that it is most surely not 90 days and is 61 days. I feel the particular rep I spoke with was unsure. I keep checking my account online to check for an updated CL but no luck as of yet.

/>Just a few days ago someone achieved 3x on 62-63 days or so

Yup, that was me. On day 62 or 63 went from $7,500 to $22,500. Instant approval and CL updated within 10 minutes.

Fyi had charged around $5k over the two months and PIF multiple times a day or two after charges. When I requested the CLI, balance was $0.

I was approved for BCE about a week ago and when I asked about my credit limit CSR specifically told me call back in 61 days for a higher limit.

I was approved for BCE about a week ago and when I asked about my credit limit CSR specifically told me call back in 61 days for a higher limit.

Did she/he actually say 61 days or are you paraphrasing "after two months"?

I'd be surprised they would offer such specific advice as the exact day you could abuse them.

It's not abusing them, it's their policy. They exist to make money from loaning us money.

It's not abusing them, it's their policy. They exist to make money from loaning us money.

Welcome to the board Capya!

Thanks kayvebear.

To the OP - it's not 61 days from the date of approval, it's from the- date of "account creation"

Just call the number on the back of the card, and ask the csr what that date is.

I don't know why some people are so crazy about it being 61 days and trying to figure out exactly what 61 days means.

AMEX's 3X CLI after a couple of months is a super gnarly gift in this world of credit. They're a fantastic company to do credit business with when it comes to consumer protection. Stop being so hasty and wait like 10 weeks after you receive your card just to be smart & safe. It's not like your new limit will report right away and if you miss a month of it reporting, so what? Establishing credit is a marathon and AMEX is exceptionally generous to young accounts by doing this.

/>I don't know why some people are so crazy about it being 61 days and trying to figure out exactly what 61 days means.

AMEX's 3X CLI after a couple of months is a super gnarly gift in this world of credit. They're a fantastic company to do credit business with when it comes to consumer protection. Stop being so hasty and wait like 10 weeks after you receive your card just to be smart & safe. It's not like your new limit will report right away and if you miss a month of it reporting, so what? Establishing credit is a marathon and AMEX is exceptionally generous to young accounts by doing this.

+1

I called today and got a rep who stated they are mailing a form for me to fill out. I requested 23.5k hoping to avoid FR. What would this form be? Sounds like they want W2's, I'm not sure. I'm not providing that info of that's what it's about. I'll just wait 6 months and try again with a lesser amount.