Sign in to follow this  
Cosmos Human

I'm Finally Moving!!!

I am moving. I am renting a small 2 bdrm home about 10-15 minutes west of my current location. Movers are coming 8/23. Fenced in back yard for Cosmo!

I needed a washer and dryer. I hated when I had to schlep clothes to the laundrymat. I checked out BB, Home Depot, HHGregg, Lowes. I went to Sears outlet, not happy. I also looked on-line. They all price match; supposedly. It was between HD and Lowes. Lowes gave me 10% off as purchase was over $299.00, then Lowes gave me an extra 10% off as I had a coupon since I am moving and applied on-line. Also the w/d was on sale.

Even though I am not buying a home, i am moving. HHGregg gives you a debit card to rebate the $79 fee....not interested. When I walked into HHGregg, I had four salespeole surround me...didn't like that. They sell on commission.. Lowes and HD don't. I went with Lowes, as I received the extra 10% off.

The washer and dryer has free delivery and install. Electric dryer; no gas there. Also First Energy has a $50.00 rebate for Energy Star appliances: washer, a/c, dehumidifyer, fridge, ect.

I am doing the Lowes no interest for 6 months. They gave me $4500 CL. I got the set for $958 out the door; this included the hoses, duct thingy. Knock off $50 more when the rebate comes in.

Many people don't know about the rebate energy star program from First Energy. First Energy is in several states. Your utility may also have a program. There are also rebates to haul away old appliances.

http://energysaveohio-home.com/energy-efficient-products/energy-star-appliance-rebates/

I started packing up my stuff. I didn't realize how much stuff I had. One person and a dog. I have more T-shirts than I could possibly wear. I have to go through them, and thin them out. Books, books, books!

I haven't moved since 2006.

Edited by Cosmos Human

Congrats it's always exciting to move to someplace new.. even if it's only 10-15 minutes.. good luck!

What I don't understand....Time Warner cable who I have for cable TV and Earthlink for high speed internet....it is supposed to be a seamless transfer of services. So I call TWC and have then d/c services on 8/22/13 and open up new service on 8/23/13. Have a service call on that date. That was very easy and the CS rep was great. TWC bills for Earthlink. The reason why I have Earthlink as the price is much better for the service and TWC internet was a higher price...go figure. So then I get an email from Earthlink saying my service is to be d/c and to call them. WTF?!?!?

So I do on-line chat for Earthlink and they say all is well, service d/c on 8/22 and start at new addy 8/23/13. But wait there is more...saying I need to speak with them...which I wanted to awoid since they oursource all their calls to the other side of the world.

So I call them and can barely understand the CS rep...but I made sure they have the correct info...this took forever!

ETA: I did get confirmation number from Earthlink to cancel via an email and over the phone. I have also received a confirmation number for new service and a new account number. Now, as you can just imagine how they will probably mess up my bill.

If TWC wanted me to have their internet services they should have offered me a better price. Both services are on one bill.

So much for TWC promoting a smooth move!

:clapping: having a regular house is such a great new experience.

just remember, it's a rental, not a fixer upper

I hope to finally buy a home of my own next year. I've moved 24 times in the last 35 years and frankly it's getting old. Here's my moving tip... Sell and/or donate as much as you can before moving day!!! :grin:

:clapping: having a regular house is such a great new experience.

just remember, it's a rental, not a fixer upper

yea, I know. I just want to have a nice place to live without spending a fortune.

Good news is that my new landlord is reaaly nice and is letting me move stuff in early while they get the place ready. This was there mom's home. It was unfortunate their previous two tenants really destroyed the place. They messed up beautiful wood floors. They may have to replace the roof, waiting on insurance....had severe weather last month here in the area..hail damage, ect. It is a small 2 bdrm home, all one one floor.

The bad new is where I am at the air cond broke and apartment complex is making zero effort to fix it. It broke Thursady, prolly needs a new compressor. I believe since I am moving and the place was just sold at sheriff sale...but to a huge apartment corporation eho had properties in three states...noting will get fix. The grass has nor been cut inn a week and is pretty messy. The other bad news some criminal slashed an older man's tires. I'm just getting tired of all the drama....I just have to suck up (deal with I mean) three more weeks!

I havbe pretty bad allergies and wake up extremely stuffy every morning. On the good side, the temps here have been quite un-seasonal...down rights chilly today. But that won't last.

What can I do? I just paid my last months rent here. I will never see my $99 security deposit back...I really don't care about that. I had also paid $200 non-refundable pet deporit as well. My movers are coming the 23rd.

I will clean the carpet with one of those rental machines, as the place has a "dog" smell....I will clean the bathroom and kitchen...but that's it. Pinesol works wonders. I just don't want to get charged for anything. Any small nail holes will be patched up and of course I'll photograph everything and put on Facebook, to get a legal date-tine stamp. (someone told me about that).

Yes, take pictures, make sure you have provided a written 30 day notices and have copies of it,

Get a manager to do a walk thru and sign off that the apt is in good condition

did you have any move-in pictures?

review your states landlord tenant laws .

Yes, take pictures, make sure you have provided a written 30 day notices and have copies of it,

I gave them 45 days notice. They are letting out of my lease, which ends September 30, but will not give me anythinbg in writing. But I have a voice recording saying I can leave early without penalty. I have an app on cell phone that I used while in their office.

Get a manager to do a walk thru and sign off that the apt is in good condition

The office manager Laura does not do that, but the owner Susan does, but place was sold in foreclosure, she may not be here when I move out.The new owners may not take the place over until end of September or October. Not sure how foreclosure sales work with commercial property.

did you have any move-in pictures?

Yes. Plus I have a sheet with all the defects listed and they have a copy.

review your states landlord tenant laws .

I did, as I do this in my job as a social worker.

This complex will need a complete rehab in order for the new owners to make a profit. Many buildings are in sad shape, especially with roof repair. The kitchen appliances are from the 1980s and are very poor. My building has two empty units. I used to live in the one downstars, it was a 2 bdrm. The carpet was very poor, and thread bare even when I lived there from 2006-09. It was never replaced. The place where I am now is a little bit better, but the previous person had a Boxer, and phantom spots on the carpet started to appear about six months after I moved in. I'll clean the carpet the best as I can. Oh, did I tell you there was a suspecious electrical fire here long time before I moved in? Just found that out. This place just gets worse!

The new owners own a huge complex within walking distance. Much nicer suites, but very expensive. Here is a link:

http://www.burtoncarol.com/ohio/windsor-place

They advertize a lot on CL:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/apa/3978652912.htm

Their rent doesn't sound too high, but there are many "gotchas". High pet rent, plus you have to pay like $40 (1bdrm 1 person) extra for water/sewer. I had friends who lived there and were quite unhappy. moved out in a year as they raised the rent a lot after lease was up. In fact they used to live here. They ended up moving out of state for new jobs.

I checked out your link to see the apartments they own down the road from you. One of the "amenities?" And Individual furnace. WTH kind of apartment thinks that is some fancy thing that needs to be listed as an amenity? I'd never live somewhere I couldn't control my own temps.

I checked out your link to see the apartments they own down the road from you. One of the "amenities?" And Individual furnace. WTH kind of apartment thinks that is some fancy thing that needs to be listed as an amenity? I'd never live somewhere I couldn't control my own temps.

I agree.

"I gave them 45 days notice. They are letting out of my lease, which ends September 30, but will not give me anythinbg in writing. But I have a voice recording saying I can leave early without penalty. I have an app on cell phone that I used while in their office."

BIG RED FLAG. You have a written lease, right? But only have a voice recording saying they will let you terminate the lease early without penalty. I recommend that you review the actual lease for liability. Most leases have verbiage stating that verbal agreements are NOT binding. If so, then you move out early and they charge you that month's rent, plus reletting fees, plus, plus, plus anything else they can tack on.

I don't know what effect the property being sold in foreclosure sale would have on the landlord/tenant laws of your state.

You might also check to see if the property meets city code for health and safety. That may be an out. You should really search your landlord/tenant laws to find what is applicable. If the property has new owners, have you discussed early termination with them, or the previous owners/staff. Since you have nothing in writing before or after the sale stating you can move out early, I just wonder if they will view this as abandonment.

Of course, your state may be an exception and allow verbal agreements to modify a written contract.

I would hate to see you blindsided by a hefty bill and a ding on your rental history because you left early without WRITTEN agreement to vacate early without penalty.

Good luck, and I hope your next experience is better.

I would follow up with a confirming letter sent CMRR to the old owners and the new owners.

RE: Rental of unit # _____________, @ ( address )

RE; Confirming notices , and release from lease without Penalty by your Manager __________________________ .

Dear ______________,

On xx-xx-xxx I provided a 45 day notice to your Offices, which was received by ___________________,

On xx-xx-xxxx., your manager _______________, verbally released me from my lease, but would not provide a release in writing.

With her permission, I made a recording of that release from the Lease of said Unit, and have a voice recording that states I can leave early without penalty, or costs past September 1, 2013.

This letter serves as confirmation of the Release from continuing rental or lease to preserve my Legal rights under ______ State law Section _____________ regarding Landlord Tenant.

Sincerely,

Cosmoshuman.

I like this.... and you brought up another point in your recommended letter:

Depending on which state, if you recorded her without her permission, that may violate certain statutes. If you did not obtain her permission ON TAPE or in writing, before recording, you may be in violation. Plus, if you ever end up in court over the "verbal release and/or subsequent confirmation", you wouldn't be able to admit that recording into evidence, I believe.

Congrats it's always exciting to move to someplace new.. even if it's only 10-15 minutes.. good luck!

In our part of the country (Northeast Ohio), moving 10-15 minutes could put you into farm country, into a neighborhood where the majors won't deliver pizza to you, lower your internet speed, etc. Haha!

It's great that you are in a better living position, CH.

I like this.... and you brought up another point in your recommended letter:

Depending on which state, if you recorded her without her permission, that may violate certain statutes. If you did not obtain her permission ON TAPE or in writing, before recording, you may be in violation. Plus, if you ever end up in court over the "verbal release and/or subsequent confirmation", you wouldn't be able to admit that recording into evidence, I believe.

We in Ohio are one party.

I'm happy for you, Cosmos. Me, it's gonna take me a while to get enough money to move to my own place myself, seeing how bad the economy is.

The recording is when I was in the rental office and there were several other people present. There were three employees; rental manager and two maintenance men, and another resident who I did not know.

Air conditioner is working, but is louder than the one that broke. Am I the only one here feeling like I am being punished? A/C sounds like a freight train. It is a combo unit with a heater in a closet in my bedroom....counting the day until I finally move out!

My friend in the building told me the "new owners"..a bunch of men in suits came to see the property the other day. He got "mixed" feelings about that visit. They didn't enter any suites in the building but from looking at the hallways they will need to spend millions and millions to bring it up to code. I was also told that the current owners stripped all the equity out of two properties (one on the other side of town), used that money to buy and flip houses...a lot. Also I heard, but don't know if true the current owners are just pocketing all the rent money now. I have no way to tell if that is true or not. I really don't care anymore but feel bad for all the seniors here. I'm out of here by the end of the month.

The good news is that I have the keys to my new place and have begun to start moving in stuff...lots of stuff...but not the heavy stuff which the movers will take. I just can't believe how much stuff I have since I last moved in 2006.

I even gave away a bunch of stuff...like stuffed animals to the kids in my building. I gave away a blender...hell I don't need three! I gave away some kettle bells, as I have trouble with them as they are awkard for me to use. I threw away old worn out hoodies...that made me feel better.

My DD is taking my old school TV and I gave her my Wii. Her very strong BF will move it. My DD is to have surgery within the next few weeks, they found a tumor and it needs to be removed from her inside....i'll leave out the details, but she will be fine.

Update. Yesterday, Lowes delivered my new washer and dryer. Dryer works fine...washer not so much. Did a test (speed wash cycle) wash and about 10 minutes after the delivery men leave, a leak coming from the bottom develops...like a not sealed gasket or something. So I call Lowes and they come back to take the washer. I had a new washer delivered today and it works perfect.

It happens.