Represent a friend via Power of Attorney?

The last post in this topic was posted 2781 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Can a person talk on behalf of another person, to a Collection Agency over the phone, if they have a notarized Power of Attorney?

I know only a lawyer can do such things in court, but can anyone with a POA deal on behalf of someone over the phone?

not sure. best if you stay off the phone

what's the story.?

Hey ICANHASMUNY,

I should have elaborated in my post, it is merely a hypothetical scenario.

I enjoy helping friends improve their credit, & get junk-debt buyers off their back.

Since I am familiar with the standard means of disputes/validation/whychat's methods, I was wondering if talking on the phone could be added to my arsenal (although I know it is generally frowned upon).

With my state's very favorable conversation recording laws, I believe I could make a CA violate the FDCPA multiple times in a 5 minute conversation. Not in the interest of suing them for the fines, but just enough to force their hand to delete the Collection. After all, even if I am unsuccessful on the phone, I always have the methods I have learned here on CB to fall back on.

So, again a total hypothetical... is this legal?

Many years ago I did it with several agencies without a power of attorney. They may have asked the person for permission to speak with me but I don't recall now.

I did a decent job in retrospect. Negotiated over 50% off the alleged debts and received written settlement letters to formalize the deal. I held all the cards and they were very willing to accommodate - it doesn't happen often.

In retrospect however I could have gotten my friend in trouble for taxes on the credited debts as I was t aware of such rules at the time -and- I didn't think to ask for a delete along with everything else.

So no matter how good you are it's best to stick with the letters which can be reviewed by your peers here.

what's the story.?

Hey ICANHASMUNY,

I enjoy helping friends improve their credit, & get junk-debt buyers off their back.

Since I am familiar with the standard means of disputes/validation/whychat's methods, I was wondering if talking on the phone could be added to my arsenal (although I know it is generally frowned upon).

With my state's very favorable conversation recording laws, I believe I could make a CA violate the FDCPA multiple times in a 5 minute conversation. Not in the interest of suing them for the fines, but just enough to force their hand to delete the Collection. After all, even if I am unsuccessful on the phone, I always have the methods I have learned here on CB to fall back on.

I wouldn't do it.

if you fail, your friends may no longer be your friends,

and you could have complaints filed about offering CRO services ( Credit repair Organization ) which generally requires a state license.

I would have them join CB and let them write their own letters and manage their own credit.

what's the story.?

Hey ICANHASMUNY,

I wouldn't do it.

if you fail, your friends may no longer be your friends,

and you could have complaints filed about offering CRO services ( Credit repair Organization ) which generally requires a state license.

I would have them join CB and let them write their own letters and manage their own credit.

This...you really don't want to get dinged for violating the CROA, IMO.

The last post in this topic was posted 2781 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By deadmaufive
      Hello all,

In kind of a weird situation. I'm not sure how to proceed.

I, or rather, my parents (I moved out of their house 1.5 years ago) received a letter from an attorney stating that I hadn't made "satisfactory arrangements" with a radiology group over a ~$29 account and that I had 30 days to dispute this debt's validity or they would consider it valid.

It's getting close to 30 days now, and I'm not sure if I should sent a debt validation letter to them, the radiology group, or do something else. This is the first time I've ever heard of this "debt," and I (nor my parents) have never received anything in the mail stating that I have this outstanding balance. Ever.

I pulled all 3 credit reports, and it is reporting on Experian and Equifax, but not TransUnion. According to my Equifax report, its "Date of First Delinquency" was 09/2011, and it started reporting on 01/2012.

I have no idea what to do. Send a DV letter to attorney? Ignore attorney's letter, start dispute with Experian and Equifax using Why Chat's HIPPA series? Attempt pay-for-delete by contacting radiology group directly?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. This is the only bad mark on any of my credit reports - I have never so much as carried a balance on a credit card, not even once, and this is causing me some serious anxiety. I would gladly pay them double what I allegedly owe to have them remove it from my credit reports.
    • By ManofB
      I was wondering if anyone here had used an attorney to assist with their credit cleanup. I know there is nothing special an attorney could do that we couldn't do for ourselves (sans whatever weight is given to letters coming from an attorney vs individuals) and I certainly have been handling everything myself, with much satisfaction. I ask because effective 9/1 we will have a new benefits plan at work, and included for $4.00 per week is 100% coverage for lawyers for a pretty nice list of items. Credit issues being one of them. I elected the coverage as I want to do my will and a few other legal matters, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get a lawyer to handle my credit cleanup as well, since I'm already paying for it. I'm also wondering if I'd be able to let go and let someone else run with it. I've become quite passionate about credit cleanup and other credit matters. So, after a lengthy run on explanation of why I'm asking the question, anyone have experience with attorneys for their cleanup?
    • By flacorps
      I'll be on Chris Molinari's show "Molinari Newswire"
      http://www.blogtalkradio.com/buildingfortunes/2014/06/11/molinari-news-wire

We're going to be talking some of the latest developments in fighting debt.
    • By seetheworld1
      It never ends. Just two days ago I learned that I had gotten some really bad derogs off my report and then today I get a call from an attorney about a medical bill from 2011. Honestly, it was such a bad couple of years for me medically that that I got a ton of complicated and confusing bills but it seemed my insurance took care of it all. I have very good insurance, fortunately, and figured anything that the insurance didn’t pay the hospital would notify me of at some point. Instead of hearing from them, I’m getting calls from an aggressive attorney. Can you guys advise me on how to proceed? The amount is $2,000 and I’d be happy to enter a payment agreement but the attorney’s rep is pushing me to pay a big part of it soon – which I can’t afford. What should I do? I’d much rather deal with the hospital, but is it too late at this point, since they have an attorney calling me? I asked the attorney for a copy of the bill and he said they typically wouldn’t give it to him unless we go into litigation. I’m really not sure what to make of that but I’ll call the hospital first thing in the morning. Can you please help me handle this the right way? I’m just getting started with rebuilding my credit and I’d hate to have all that good work go to waste because I handle this wrong. Thanks so much for all your help.
    • By lukegotswag
      Wrote Georgia Power a Goodwill PFD asking if the account could be deleted upon payment in full (balance was only $101) ... they wrote back stating that they would do so if payment was received by the 29th of this month and also stated they report on the last day of each month and to give up to 15 days for deletion to reflect on reports. Searched the threads to see someone else successfully was able to get a paid accoutn deleted as well.

Im not going to push the signature route on this one.. I'll chime back in to inform of the account in fact being deleted but this is DEFINITELY more progress than I've seen couple times over in the threads with Georgia Power...

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Pedro1986

Important Information

Guidelines