Macy's CLI - How do I guarantee soft pull?

The last post in this topic was posted 2775 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'd appreciate any information on this too.

I really don't want to burn an inquiry, but I really would like to raise my (relatively decent) limit.

I haven't been softed by DSNB or any other Macy's related entity on EXP in a long time...

I'd appreciate any information on this too. I really don't want to burn an inquiry, but I really would like to raise my (relatively decent) limit. I haven't been softed by DSNB or any other Macy's related entity on EXP in a long time...

They softed me on EQ FWIW

Well, when I called in I specifically told them that if my request required an HP then please stop the process as I do not want any inquiries.

Now I called back a few times before I felt comfortable with the CSR who answered. If I got the impression that the CSR didn't know an HP from a hole in the wall then I just politely hung up and called back until I got someone who understood exactly what I was looking for.

In the last 9 months I have requested 2 CLI's and both were SP's using this strategy (if that's what you want to call it) of carefully picking out the CSR.

Guarantee? That means 100%, right? Not easy, with one of 5,000 CSR's potentially answering your call.

When a CSR is looking at your store account on his/her screen, it is not obvious whether clicking that button will result in a hard or a soft. The CSR can view the historical softs as a series, and if they are cleanly lined up with no interruptions, they can assume no hard will result when they click the button. Throw in an addresses change into that series of softs and it may be interrupted, however, and that may result in a hard.

Once the CSR actually clicks the final button, though, if the soft is used, the answer will pop instantly for the CSR. The hard takes longer.

All that being said, though, a phone call CLI request for a store card will likely result in the use of a soft 90% of the time.

SBA - any recommendations on how much I should ask for to increase the odds of me taking a soft versus a hard? Line is currently at 1k..

Thank you so much for your wealth of information

I'm curious in this too in regards to asking for set amounts. When I got my CLI last week, I said "Whatever you could give me since I just bought something for a wedding and am close to the limit and I'd like to take advantage of the one day sale coming up."

/>/>SBA - any recommendations on how much I should ask for to increase the odds of me taking a soft versus a hard? Line is currently at 1k..

The CSR literally is forced to ask what amount you want prior to clicking the final button, but the system inevitably ignores the request and gives the CSR an upper limit.

CAUTION: if the CSR says something like " that's over my limit " immediately tell them to stop. Doing anything above their limit is the easiest way to get a hard inquiry. Too often they immediately put you on hold and next thing you know they come back and say " my manager has approved a new limit of $2,000". They think you're gonna be elated with the news...but then you see the hard on your CR..

So the net is that if you are taking to an aware CSR who is actually listening to you you can literally tell them " as much as I can get without a hard inquiry or getting a supervisor involved. " They'll often coach you through the amount, but they cannot put a number in your mouth. Auditors (and policy) require they ask you for the number.

Edited by SBA

/> />SBA - any recommendations on how much I should ask for to increase the odds of me taking a soft versus a hard? Line is currently at 1k..

The CSR literally is forced to ask what amount you want prior to clicking the final button, but the system inevitably ignores the request and gives the CSR an upper limit.

CAUTION: if the CSR says something like " that's over my limit " immediately tell them to stop. Doing anything above their limit is the easiest way to get a hard inquiry. Too often they immediately put you on hold and next thing you know they come back and say " my manager has approved a new limit of $2,000". They think you're gonna be elated with the news...but then you see the hard on your CR..

So the net is that if you are taking to an aware CSR who is actually listening to you you can literally tell them " as much as I can get without a hard inquiry or getting a supervisor involved. " They'll often coach you through the amount, but they cannot put a number in your mouth. Auditors (and policy) require they ask you for the number.

That's funny because I don't ever think I SAID an amount.

The whole thing has me scared lol.

If I do get a hard inquiry, which bureau do they pull?

I might just end up leaving my account at the amount it is at. I definitely dont need a hard over a macys store card.

/>The whole thing has me scared lol.

If I do get a hard inquiry, which bureau do they pull?

I might just end up leaving my account at the amount it is at. I definitely dont need a hard over a macys store card.

Yes, but remember I said 90% of the phone requests result in the use of a soft. In recent years they'll pull either Equifax or Experian.

/>

/> />SBA - any recommendations on how much I should ask for to increase the odds of me taking a soft versus a hard? Line is currently at 1k..

That's funny because I don't ever think I SAID an amount.

If that phone call had been audited the CSR would not have received all the possible points for the evaluation. It matters to some more than others.

You don't have to worry about the true upper limit. They never raise it that much in one jump, as they need a history of high use before raising the general revolving account limit. That being said, I've seen countless store accounts with COMBINED limits well above $50K. Combined add the general store account with a furniture sub account, jewelry sub account, etc.

After CARDA (2010) took full effect, many of the sub accounts were limited because CARDA made it practically difficult to allocate a single payment to a range of sub accounts with varying interest rates.

Most CSR's have a general store account limit if $5,000 and combined store account limits of $15,000 if I recall. Supervisors can go a bit higher, and managers can go higher--but they won't.

Why do you need this limit? Is a required question. Most of us looked at usage patterns and said " That's what jewelry and furniture accounts are for--let me set up a sub account for you. Interior designers were most likely to have the largest limits, but most of them inevitably returned too much and got knocked down (CLD).

I hope this gets you closer to your answer.

HINT: if you're willing to take a hard hit, take your photo ID inside Bloomingdale's (NOT ONLINE), where you'll get a much higher limits on store cards than Macy's.

Edited by SBA

Ok. I did it.

Got a very knowledgeable rep on the phone. Told her I didn't want a hard and she understood the difference.

Explained to me that just based on my shopping history, payment history, and my reported annual income that she could see what the system would allow without reviewinng my credit.

Brought me from $1000 to $1800.

She never asked me what size credit line I wanted... and she said she gave me the maximum she could.

Thanks SBA for your valuable information.

Ok. I did it.

Got a very knowledgeable rep on the phone. Told her I didn't want a hard and she understood the difference.

Explained to me that just based on my shopping history, payment history, and my reported annual income that she could see what the system would allow without reviewinng my credit.

She never asked me what size credit line I wanted... and she said she gave me the maximum she could.

Easy as pie right? :good:

Congrats!!

Ok. I did it.

Yay, congrats! :clapping:

/>Ok. I did it.

Great news. Glad to assist.

Next time, and for all others reading: if the CSR had wanted to, he/she could have done all that, and before clicking the final accept button, backed the software up, typed in a higher number, and found a higher limit. By bouncing back and forth between the $1800 limit the first cap showed her and the manual results--all the while not pulling a hard inquiry--the CSR could have found the true limit without a hard.

A lot of the CSR's didn't know the software well enough to use it that way, but for people I really wanted to help, I've done that countless times.

Still a soft pull, but often a much higher limit.

/>Ok. I did it.

Next time, and for all others reading: if the CSR had wanted to, he/she could have done all that, and before clicking the final accept button, backed the software up, typed in a higher number, and found a higher limit. By bouncing back and forth between the $1800 limit the first cap showed her and the manual results--all the while not pulling a hard inquiry--the CSR could have found the true limit without a hard.

A lot of the CSR's didn't know the software well enough to use it that way, but for people I really wanted to help, I've done that countless times.

That's great info and thanks a bunch SBA!!!

Now, how do we as customers inform the CSR of this without offending them...LOL!!!

See I can see myself asking them did you back it up? Okay did you type in a higher number? Okay the higher limit is the one I want :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by up&climbing

/>

/>Ok. I did it.

That's great info and thanks a bunch SBA!!!

Now, how do we as customers inform the CSR of this without offending them...LOL!!!

See I can see myself asking them did you back it up? Okay did you type in a higher number? Okay the higher limit is the one I want :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea how to ask over the telephone if they know what they're doing with the software.

Any of 5,000 people could be answering the phone.

I wish I knew.....

The last post in this topic was posted 2775 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.