Sign in to follow this  
iWhat

GE closed my PepBoys card.....

I had it a year and was going to use it next month for tires and i got the alert from Credit Karma....

I guess this supports the idea that you should not open cards that you won't use regularly. A year from opening without a single use is a long time.

I wonder if this will happen to my GE/Discount Tire card. My car DOES chew through a set of tires about every 15,000 miles, but that still doesn't quite put me on track to replace them yearly.

I've used the card, but I'm wondering if the account will be in peril before I need tires again... It's only worth using the card for the 0% financing... I like free use of other people's money.

Of course the sh!tty limit they gave me won't even buy two tires installed. :P

Edited by cv91915

/>I wonder if this will happen to my GE/Discount Tire card. My car DOES chew through a set of tires about every 15,000 miles, but that still doesn't quite put me on track to replace them yearly.

I've used the card, but I'm wondering if the account will be in peril before I need tires again... It's only worth using the card for the 0% financing... I like free use of other people's money.

Buy a tire pressure gauge. :P

/> I wonder if this will happen to my GE/Discount Tire card. My car DOES chew through a set of tires about every 15,000 miles, but that still doesn't quite put me on track to replace them yearly.

Haha... Not that simple. It's more like "stop pretending you are a Formula 1 driver"... :P

Performance tires aren't known for their longevity...

/>

/> I wonder if this will happen to my GE/Discount Tire card. My car DOES chew through a set of tires about every 15,000 miles, but that still doesn't quite put me on track to replace them yearly.

Haha... Not that simple. It's more like "stop pretending you are a Formula 1 driver"... :P

I meant to keep your account active lol

no, but was thinking about using it....

Yeah, they can't tell you were thinking of using it...

Sorry for your loss.

ive read through this entire post all the while still laughing at this post here. :rofl:

To the OP... definitely call to see if they can reopen for you seeing as this seems to be so recent. You never know. Good luck.

they will not reopen it but hell, i don't need tires and crap that often. guess i am off to buy cat food using my awl mart card

/>

I meant to keep your account active lol

Oh... LOL... I guess that might be better advice for keeping the account open! :P

they will not reopen it but hell, i don't need tires and crap that often. guess i am off to buy cat food using my awl mart card

You can buy tires at Walmart. Even get the 0% deal they have going.

Thanks, OP, for bringing this up. This makes me think I better go get an oil change or something at Firestone. I haven't used their card in well over a year. It'd hurt my AAOA and utilization to lose it.

Thanks, OP, for bringing this up. This makes me think I better go get an oil change or something at Firestone. I haven't used their card in well over a year. It'd hurt my AAOA and utilization to lose it.

Yes, I try to use mine at least every 6 months, or at worst case every 9 months. My DiscountTires card I can use at Mobil1 gas stations, my Firestone CFNA card I use at least every 6 months for the $19.00 tune-up (sometimes the coupon appears on the firestone website). FYI I would recommend letting the (small) balance post onto your next cycle before paying in full. I've heard that method may help retain the account in "open status" & it looks better seeing it post on your Credit Report with a small balance at least every 6-12 months.

Yes, I try to use mine at least every 6 months, or at worst case every 9 months. My DiscountTires card I can use at Mobil1 gas stations, my Firestone CFNA card I use at least every 6 months for the $19.00 tune-up (sometimes the coupon appears on the firestone website). FYI I would recommend letting the (small) balance post onto your next cycle before paying in full. I've heard that method may help retain the account in "open status" & it looks better seeing it post on your Credit Report with a small balance at least every 6-12 months.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Mine lasted to 35,000 miles.. but I have a goal to make everything last... Then again, not having a lot of money has made me a careful driver ;-) even if it's not always fun

Edited by Cactus Flower

I'm happy I went for the CarCareOne. I might buy stuff from PepBoys once a year, but at least I can use the card for gas at Mobil or Exxon once in awhile to keep it open. It's a little more versatile than just the PepBoys card. I do have Firestone, haven't used it yet, guess I should buy windshield wipers or something soon.

I had my last set of tires for over 110,000 miles. Just replaced them last October (BCC - before credit cards), a month after filing BK, had to borrow from son to pay for them. I just feel like because I have the cards, hopefully my car won't need anything for awhile.

Edited by pjmaxwellian

I'm happy I went for the CarCareOne. I might buy stuff from PepBoys once a year, but at least I can use the card for gas at Mobil or Exxon once in awhile to keep it open. It's a little more versatile than just the PepBoys card. I do have Firestone, haven't used it yet, guess I should buy windshield wipers or something soon.

I had my last set of tires for over 110,000 miles. Just replaced them last October (BCC - before credit cards), a month after filing BK, had to borrow from son to pay for them. I just feel like because I have the cards, hopefully my car won't need anything for awhile.

I would be interested in hearing if you are able to get just wipers at a Firestone place. My Firestone card is a year old and has never been used, and I'm sure it'll be closed soon. I've pulled into a couple of locations but they didn't seem to have any "self service" items to just grab and go, so I've never actually gone in.

And how does one get 110,000 miles put of a set of tires? Do you drive over 5 mph?

I would be interested in hearing if you are able to get just wipers at a Firestone place. My Firestone card is a year old and has never been used, and I'm sure it'll be closed soon. I've pulled into a couple of locations but they didn't seem to have any "self service" items to just grab and go, so I've never actually gone in.

I haven't actually been in one either. I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw wipers on their website. I'll try and stop in this week and see.