Sign in to follow this  

What do you do when store policy is they ask for ID?

So long as the only reason you're checking ID is to verify the signature on the ID compared to the signature on the transaction. Obviously, you're going to note things like name and face, and I can't fault you if you don't comply 100% when, in this example, the customer hasn't complied. I actually had a person request me ID a few years ago, and she stated that it was because I did not sign my card. She was very astute :)

Yeah, that is the goal! During training (and subsequent retraining) I usually give examples like this:

"If that's credit, I'll just need to check the signature on the back"

And then if not signed or "See ID"

"Oops, your card isn't signed, do you have ID with you?"

So long as the only reason you're checking ID is to verify the signature on the ID compared to the signature on the transaction. Obviously, you're going to note things like name and face, and I can't fault you if you don't comply 100% when, in this example, the customer hasn't complied. I actually had a person request me ID a few years ago, and she stated that it was because I did not sign my card. She was very astute :)

Yeah, that is the goal! During training (and subsequent retraining) I usually give examples like this:

If someone addressed me like that, I would happily, HAPPILY comply! :D

But what this IHOP did was "Oh, may I see some I.D.?"

Sure. OFFICER... :angry:

I am gonna get some pancakes again so I can report that flowers.

As I told you before, you don't have to buy anything. Just report them to all 3 (if they accept Amex) for what they did. Making another visit is not a condition of reporting.

Now that people got overly sensitive about SSNs (not that they were ever that secure to begin with) the new standard for identity in banking is a DL number. Try opening any online bank account without one. It will be difficult. As pointed out, the DL number is of GREATER VALUE to the identity thief than your credit card number *OR* your SSN.

With ID theft on the rise, what is the big deal with businesses taking steps to protect themselves against losses? Its no big deal as long as your not taking a loss right? When you take a loss the world is coming to an end.

Show your ID or pay with cash.

I quit accepting credit cards and only accept cash because of people with this mentality. When they act so surprised, I tell them that there is an ATM on the corner. If they tell me they will call some one else, I tell them thank you and have a great day.

With ID theft on the rise, what is the big deal with businesses taking steps to protect themselves against losses? Its no big deal as long as your not taking a loss right? When you take a loss the world is coming to an end.

I quit accepting credit cards and only accept cash because of people with this mentality. When they act so surprised, I tell them that there is an ATM on the corner. If they tell me they will call some one else, I tell them thank you and have a great day.

Not sure this site is for you, lol, with that "Seeing ID is OK" mentality. :)

Show me someone with the name of "SEE I.D."

As I told you before, you don't have to buy anything. Just report them to all 3 (if they accept Amex) for what they did. Making another visit is not a condition of reporting.

I actually DID report the business to the sites, many months ago. Had my receipt, etc. And while I can say that my attitude on tips has changed a bit, as a server at an upscale Italian restaurant (ever heard of Bertucci's? http://www.bertuccis.com is the site,) I think that their sign remains up. (I was there a few months ago, I think it was still up.)

IIRC, what "got" me is how they are so cheery and happy about asking for I.D., and have witty and reasoned retorts for when you say that the VISA POLICY DOESNT ALLOW THAT. Of course, they ignore you.. And of course, yeah, I show my I.D... though I stopped carrying it in my wallet, and I only put my I.D. on the off-chance they ask. (Not as many have been asking for it lately. And, though I work fast food and how I know that we can get in trouble if someone uses a stolen card at our restaurant and we can get in trouble if it is determined that said stolen card was able to successfully be used at our restaurant, I'll bet everyone would be asking everyone for I/D/ then until it got old and then they didn't again, it is all cyclical, I believe in the rights of the creditholder. I could go anywhere I want for pancakes. I believe that the consumer has choices. Of course, the reason I went back to THERE is because they are SO good.. I had to decide if the I.D. issue would keep me away. At least once after this encounter, it did not.)

Why should someone have to go to an ATM when they are ready to pay with their signed card, because of your flippant attitude about asking for ID?

You know if the card is UNsigned, you are in the right to ask, right?

** And just as an aside to this whole thing.. You'd think that spotting a faked ID would be as easy as spotting a fake bill. Again.. In defense of those with signed cards not having to show ID, and no real recourse at a store that mandates it (some really get gung-ho about it, I am forever mad at the auto parts stores on Washington St in Indianapolis, IN for having fun at my expense in 2010, there is NO excuse for how they treated me in that situation....) I can tell you that, at my Dunkin Donuts, we have had fake bills come through that looked so realistic that they even pass the "Hold it up to the light" tests, and possibly one that was apparently faked on real paper, because even our bill verifier said it was OK (unconfirmed) but it even got our manager, a $100 bill. So real that the scamster got it off. (Normally, we can spot a fake bill. Or so we thought.) Now.. Apply that logic to an I.D. Can you know for SURE what an out-of-state ID looks like, if it is a store that makes you show I.D., and has faked an I.D. to use a card, like on that show on Discovery channel that had an anonymous person how fake cards are matched to stolen mail and zip codes, - ? Scamsters have some cajones, man.

With the examples I provided, though I can admit that the vast MINority of people would go to such great lengths, I have to again point out, after spending time readin gon these boards, that SEEING ID is NOT HOW THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES HAVE IT TO DO IT and THEREIN LIES THE ISSUE.

I was asked for ID yesterday at a store when using my MasterCard. I simply said, I'm not going to and MasterCard doesn't require me to. This merchant agreed to that by accepting MC. The cashier looked at me for a moment and said, "ugh ok". I finished my transaction pleasantly and with 'have a great day'.

I try never to yell or get upset with the front line staff. They are merely doing as directed. Now once I go up the chain to general manager and beyond, I can get pissy if necessary.

I had a major issue with Sax 5th and my ID. I bought some shoes and paid with my CC and she asked me for ID to verify. Handed it to her and expected it right back, but no… She sat it on the register and started the payment process. While that was going on all I heard was click click click click on the keyboard…. I asked for my ID back and she kept typing. She finally finished and I asked her what she was doing. She said just finishing the transaction. I asked her what she was entering and she said my information. I asked why and she said it was company policy to verify ID. I said, no you're doing it for marketing and tracking. As she was blah blahing on I walked away stewing and set out for the manager.

The manager said it was company policy. I asked her why she thinks they have the right to take my personal info from my driver license without asking. "It's company policy." I got her name and the cashiers name and then told her it was my policy to write a letter to the FTC, BBB, my states AG and their company headquarters (it was down time while waiting for dispute results :-). Sent my complaints off and about 2 weeks later the store flyers and magazines started showing up in the mail. Sent those to the FTC as well. Not long after that I got letters from several different executives, some saying sorry, some saying company policy babble and some saying we'll look at our policy. I really didn't care about the results, just that I got my point across. I'm sure they are still collecting info.

if it's a nice chick asking me for my id. I just tell her she wants to know where I live and make her turn all red :rofl:

From the retailer's agreement with Visa/MC from post #22: It is important that merchants understand

that the requesting of a cardholder ID does not change the merchant’s liability

for chargebacks .

Business aren't protecting themselves by asking for ID, they're just squeezing a lemon me off and losing business.

I just went through the worst experience with Walmart and asking for ID I have ever experienced. I have been shopping at the Porter Ranch Walmart Supercenter for over 2 years and before today, had only been asked once for my ID but after politely explaining the CC's policy, they finished the transaction. Not today. 3 levels of managers were brought in over this stating it was a store policy to require the ID. They wouldn't answer my question as to why in the two years I had been shopping there ID was never required before. I even caught the "acting" store manager to admit it wasn't a policy, but he still insisted. It got to the point he even told one of the associates there to call the police! I said the number was 911.

The thing that really pisses me off about this is my brother used to be a store manager at Walmart. I had asked him about this after another incident at a different Walmart some time ago and he told me that it was not Corporate policy to require it and stores were not allowed to have their own policy in regards to transactions. Now it has been a long time since he was a manager and things may have changed. But I don't see where Corporate would adopt a policy in violation of their agreement with Visa and MasterCard.

I have reported them to both Visa and Walmart Corporate. Monday I will be following the advice of Visa and reporting them to the bank that issued my card. I don't really expect anything to be done about it. I doubt seriously Visa would ever cut off a major customer like Walmart or even punish them, no matter what rules they ignore.

if it's a nice chick asking me for my id. I just tell her she wants to know where I live and make her turn all red :rofl:

Too funny

The downsides to showing ID stem from identity theft. Some people are VERY good at quickly memorizing numbers (I can do this very easily and it drives people nuts). The combination of your credit card and your drivers license is an easy tool for stealing access to that card. The DL on its own can be used to steal identity (name, address, DL number, and some personal information depending on state).

Damn straight. After people got hysterical about SSN being used as an ID, the state driver's license number became the new identity number. Try opening on online banking account without one...

Nobody but the cops see my driver's license.

Does VISA still care if businesses require ID? I just went to report one, and it's not specifically listed on their complaint form anymore. Just wondering if it's worth it to fill the form out.

I reported this store once before probably 6 months ago, but only to VISA because I didn't have a MC at the time, and when I went in today they have actually increased their signage telling customers to have ID ready if they use credit or debit cards. I saw at least 4 signs whereas before I complained the last time there were only 2. LOL

I did get it reported to MC so hopefully they'll take care of it.

Been a while since I made a post here :)

Here's my blog post on the issue:

https://lucky225.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/credit-cards-photo-id-why-i-refuse-to-show-my-photo-id-for-card-transactions-and-how-to-actually-prevent-fraud/

Here's what I do when asked for ID from my youtube channel: youtube.com/thelucky225

Ace hardware

Pizzahut

Walmart

Gamestop

Panda Express

If you go to the Rio you'll see this sign no longer appears at any of their cashiers any more as of 2 years ago when they tried to ask me for ID :)

7XnhJsY.jpg

Edited by Lucky225

If someone addressed me like that, I would happily, HAPPILY comply! :D

But what this IHOP did was "Oh, may I see some I.D.?"

Sure. OFFICER... :angry:

I no longer frequent IHOP - this is my story: http://consumerist.com/2008/04/23/ihop-threatens-to-call-the-police-because-you-refuse-to-show-id-with-credit-card/

Edited by Lucky225

Is it me or did the cashier at ACE do a 180 on her attitude when you refused?

LOL yeah she even rolled her eyes, that's why I posted that one first. Most places backdown quite immediately. I have not been asked for ID with my CC since at least 2013 however, kind of surprised places are still doing that. Interestingly though I heard Walmart is collecting CVV info on purchases over $100 in some areas, hasn't happened to me yet I'm waiting to see that happen. The whole point of cvv was that it is NOT collected at POS and is an additional verification for online purchases that would not be available to someone who attacked a POS. I'm fairly sure you don't need to provide CVV at retail POS. I also want to see if '000' works when they do ask.

I actually DID report the business to the sites, many months ago. Had my receipt, etc. And while I can say that my attitude on tips has changed a bit, as a server at an upscale Italian restaurant (ever heard of Bertucci's? http://www.bertuccis.com is the site,) I think that their sign remains up. (I was there a few months ago, I think it was still up.)

IIRC, what "got" me is how they are so cheery and happy about asking for I.D., and have witty and reasoned retorts for when you say that the VISA POLICY DOESNT ALLOW THAT. Of course, they ignore you.. And of course, yeah, I show my I.D... though I stopped carrying it in my wallet, and I only put my I.D. on the off-chance they ask. (Not as many have been asking for it lately. And, though I work fast food and how I know that we can get in trouble if someone uses a stolen card at our restaurant and we can get in trouble if it is determined that said stolen card was able to successfully be used at our restaurant, I'll bet everyone would be asking everyone for I/D/ then until it got old and then they didn't again, it is all cyclical, I believe in the rights of the creditholder. I could go anywhere I want for pancakes. I believe that the consumer has choices. Of course, the reason I went back to THERE is because they are SO good.. I had to decide if the I.D. issue would keep me away. At least once after this encounter, it did not.)

To the OP "of course yeah I show it" ----- read my posts above. I do NOT show my ID, especially when I'm at a restaurant. I already ate the meal, what recourse do they have if I refuse to show ID. If they expect to be paid for a meal I just ate, their option is to accept and honor the form of payment I present, which I reasonably expected before I ate they would accept as they have CC logos plastered on the door and window outside their business, or they don't get paid. If the cops come the onus is on them to prove I was defrauding an innkeeper, an element of that crime is the intent not to pay. I had every intention of paying, they refused to accept a valid form of payment they advertise as accepting.

Edit: One time Denny's throughout Colorado Springs/Pueblo area owned by the same franchise was doing this, they threatened cops too, some couple overheard it, said it was Geronimo themselves and paid for my meal in Cash(I tried to get contact info to repay them, but they said don't worry about it they're never eating here again because it's ridiculous - I was pretty shocked considering most of the sheeple just comply) After that situation I emailed Denny's corporate and have never had an issue there after.

zBU09iw.pngIHOP on the other hand didn't care, and so they no longer get my business.

Edited by Lucky225

I rarely have anyone ask for ID, except when renting a car (which is totally legit since you need a valid DL) or an Amtrak ticket (supposedly because they're worried about terrorist attacks) or on a rare occasion a liquor store (I guess they should do that to check age though no one in their right mind would think I was underage). The one that they always do though is demand that you spend at least $15 if you want to use a card which as far as I know is also against Visa/MC policy.

I rarely have anyone ask for ID, except when renting a car (which is totally legit since you need a valid DL) or an Amtrak ticket (supposedly because they're worried about terrorist attacks) or on a rare occasion a liquor store (I guess they should do that to check age though no one in their right mind would think I was underage). The one that they always do though is demand that you spend at least $15 if you want to use a card which as far as I know is also against Visa/MC policy.

A $10 minimum purchase is allowed. Read the Visa and MasterCard merchant agreements.

Didn't realize that, I thought I remembered otherwise or maybe it's changed since when I remember. Even so, a lot of places have established a higher minimum than the allowed $10

I complained to both issuers about a liquor store requiring ID a couple months ago. They had a sign up requiring ID for all cards, credit or debit.

So I go back in today and not only have they not taken that sign down, they put up a 2nd one saying that ID must match the name on the card! I'll bet this stemmed from someone too drunk to drive sending a friend to get more booze with their credit card.

I wish more people knew their rights regarding this issue. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one reporting these businesses. I'm off to report this one again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    HelpMeRhonda221
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines