Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Mold?

The last post in this topic was posted 2700 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Ok. I am thoroughly disgusted. I had a pipe break in my bathroom and it got my closet (shares a wall) wet. So, it took the landlord 3 days to address the carpet and finally just came out and shampooed it. Uh, it was still sopping wet. So she came out and pulled up the carpet pad and said he'd be back Friday to lay down linoleum.

Well...when he pulled up the pad I noticed dark stains on the sub-flooring. My mind immediately screams mold. I called and asked him to look into it and he said "I took a two week course on mold - that isn't mold."

Great for you and your two week course! I took a crap ton of pictures but I'm not sure what it is and I really can't risk getting booted from my apartment. There are no rentals available in my price range right now. Ugh

So...thoughts? Does this look like mold? What should I do? Am I going to die?

20130605_200253.jpg

There's mold and there is toxic mold. All bathrooms get some mold over time, usually it is not toxic. Bleach will take care of it. The serious mold gets all in the wall and under the floors and you don't really even see much of it until it starts coming through Some people are allergic to ordinary mold.

There's mold and there is toxic mold. All bathrooms get some mold over time, usually it is not toxic. Bleach will take care of it. The serious mold gets all in the wall and under the floors and you don't really even see much of it until it starts coming through Some people are allergic to ordinary mold.

Make me one of those people allergic to regular ordinary mold. But then I have other allergy issues besides mold.

sigh

Lab is there someone that you can call to do a free consultation to find out exactly what it is?

I have been going through a mold problem for about 18 months. It is in my apartment. I see doctors up to five times a week. I think it is going to kill me. If I leave my apartment, I feel almost normal. When I am here, I cough and feel miserable. So I can see a direct correlation. But all the illnesses I have can be caused by mold or other things, so I cannot say for sure it is the mold. Management says it is dirt growing in the walls. Here are some suggestions.

1. The bleach idea is good. Kill that stuff now.

2. That two week course that the manager took on mold teaches them to deny, deny, deny. Always tell the tenant it is not mold. Shift the blame. Accuse the tenant. I know because my manager took the same course. She graduated summa cum laude from the course. First in her class. (Just this week she got her reward: a promotion to corporate).

3. If the mold gains a foothold, you will never get rid of it.

4. Do not renew your lease. Move when it is up. I had the same problem you had, the costs for housing around here is too high. A lot is being built, but it starts at $1600 for a one bedroom and I have been paying about $1100 for a two bedroom. Management helped me out when they raised the rent $250 a month. That forced me to find something else. We had a hard time. Everything in a reasonable price range gets taken quickly but we finally got a place for $1300 a month which is a little nicer. We move Saturday.

5. The mold kits for testing start at $40 and can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, and online. You scrape some of the suspected mold and then mail it in. You get your results back in the mail. First problem is that your manager will deny the test has any validity. Remember, it is dirt in his eyes. The second problem is the mold remediation business itself. It is filled with fraud. One of the networks did a story on this just this week. I don't have any idea how you could find any reputable company. If you do, the landlord can find twenty companies who will come up with the opposite conclusion.

In summary: find a way to get out. The mold is there to stay. Your landlord is useless in solving the problem.. He won't spend the money and it is too expensive to fix correctly. Find a way to move. The sooner the better. If it was your personal residence, there are ways to fix the problem. But a landlord will not spend the money to fix it for you.

We can be roommates!! You can share a room with #2.

Problem solved.

She doesn't like Disney, Giraffy. Are you sure you still want her to be your bff?

I think we have a different idea of what "problem solved" means. I'd rather live with mold than with a child.

And Pam, we are such amazing BFFs that we can get past Griffay's odd affection for Disney

The last post in this topic was posted 2700 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.