Sign in to follow this  
dixiecup

Can OC remove a judgement?

The judgement is mine. I owed an attorney money, he sued me and garnished my wages. The judgement is satisfied. Actually, I am back on speaking terms with him now and he says he will remove it but doesn't know the steps to have it removed. It only has one more year to fall off, but I'm trying to get a mortgage and need it off now. So can he send something to the CRA's and have it removed or have to go through the court system that sent it? I am so excited he said he would get rid of it, we just don't know how to do it!

You should ask him if he will file a motion with the court to vacate the judgement. If he only updates it with the court as satisfied, the CRAs only have to update it to satisfied on your CR, if it is dismissed or vacated it can be removed easily. Well, as easy as removing anything from the CRAs.

It already states it is satisfied on the credit reports.Soif he sends something from his office stating to remove it do you think that will work?

I believe that you can get a form from the court clerk for a satisfaction of judgement. Just fill it out, and ask the clerk's office how to tie up all the loose ends. I'm pretty sure they will know.

Hard to believe your attorney doesn't know how to do this.

As I said before, a CRA does not have to remove a satisfied judgement, it can remain on your report something like 7 years from date paid. If you want it removed, ask the attorney to file for dismissal or vacate the judgement. Then you send a copy of that order, signed by the judge to the CRAs.

I can't believe your attorney doesn't know how to do this either.

Edited by pjmaxwellian

The judgement is mine. I owed an attorney money, he sued me and garnished my wages. The judgement is satisfied. Actually, I am back on speaking terms with him now and he says he will remove it but doesn't know the steps to have it removed. It only has one more year to fall off, but I'm trying to get a mortgage and need it off now. So can he send something to the CRA's and have it removed or have to go through the court system that sent it? I am so excited he said he would get rid of it, we just don't know how to do it!

Sounds like your lawyer hired a lawyer, LOL

Edited by SouthernTreat

That's exactly what he did. I'm going to ask him to file amotion to vacate but I don't know if he would be THAT generous. Probably want to charge me to do it but it would probably be worth it if I could get that judgement gone!

That's exactly what he did. I'm going to ask him to file amotion to vacate but I don't know if he would be THAT generous. Probably want to charge me to do it but it would probably be worth it if I could get that judgement gone!

Offer to pay your attorney's attorney fees, plus the court filing fees. Heck, make a friend out of that attorney too and he might give you a break on his fees, LOL.