Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Account closed fiasco

The last post in this topic was posted 2703 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I tried to make a purchase with one of my credit cards and the card was declined. I was shocked... I've had this card for years, always paid on time and have good credit. Anyway, I called the credit card company and they said my account was closed because they received notice that I recently declared bankruptcy. I have not declared bankruptcy and have no idea why they would think that. They took my information and said they'd get back to me, but so far I haven't heard anything and the card is still closed. Any idea what might be going on and how to handle? I don't know whether it's just a big mistake or if I should be concerned about identity theft. Thanks.

Your card and your card only? So not an AU, never had an AU, not a joint, not a joint with an ex of yours? Like has anyone ever had a relationship to that account?

If no and just yours your should backdoor your reports right now, see if it shows a BK petition. If it does you should fix it quick before others start to soft and do the same thing.

What bank?

Not joint, no AUs...I'm the only user of the card. So far, no BK on my credit reports. Card is a Barclays Amex. It's very strange...

Has somebody stolen your identity?

Wow, that is terrible. Maybe a cross in their database with you and someone else with very close credentials. But whatever it is, it is just downright awful. Have you checked your reports recently?

I've checked TU... guess I'll have to bite the bullet and check the others. About a year ago, my work had a data breach involving personal information. Unfortunately, it will be bad news for me when this credit card reports as closed.

Is the credit card company required to disclose where they obtained this (bad) information? It's very frustrating. Thanks.

Yes, it will say what source it obtained the supposed bankruptcy info from

I haven't heard back from the cc company in response to my phone call (they said they would investigate), It sounds like I should send a certified letter stating that, while they said they received information last week that I declared bankruptcy, that is wrong... I have not declared BK. Please advise if that seems an appropriate course of action. Thanks.

They usually stick to the "wait for the letter". They may be softing your reports to see what is going on. Creditors usually have access to PR's and can also soft your report for confirmation that you have not filed.

Maybe call the executive office tomorrow or the underwriting department to see what it is they are investigating.

Not yet... Barclays is "still looking into it." They'll need to step it up, though...they'll tank my credit scores if they don't take corrective action and this mistake causes the account to report as closed. I'm not a happy camper. Will keep you posted.

An account closure by itself won't affect your FICO score much at all.

A BK suddenly appearing on your credit report WILL tank your score.

Yes, a BK would tank credit scores more, but closing the account would also have a not negligible impact. I tend to believe this is a big Barclays error...so far, there's no BK showing on my credit report nor are any other creditors claiming I declared BK.

I have over a dozen accounts closed by grantor, not by me.

Having six 30 year-old AmExes closed on me dropped my AAOA of open accounts,

but my FICO score was unaffected.

Since I don't carry a balance on the Barclays Amex card, but do on other cards, wouldn't percentage utilization (go up (and my score drop) if the Amex is closed?

Since I don't carry a balance on the Barclays Amex card, but do on other cards, wouldn't percentage utilization (go up (and my score drop) if the Amex is closed?

Do you carry a balance on your other cards?

Just found out that the BK mistake was fixed and my account is open again. I still don't know what caused the error, but Barclays handled it quickly and efficiently.

Just found out that the BK mistake was fixed and my account is open again. I still don't know what caused the error, but Barclays handled it quickly and efficiently.

:clapping:

The last post in this topic was posted 2703 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.