Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Comenity Credit Limits

The last post in this topic was posted 2394 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So I was trying out the 'shopping cart trick' to see which ones would offer me a pre-approval at checkout. I have not accepted any yet.

On Victoria's Secret, the pre-approval was $500.

On OneStopPlus, the pre-approval was $750.

I would have thought since all were based on soft-pulls and all are issued by same bank, the limits would be the same?

I can understand a higher opening limit if I was looking at Value City Furniture or maybe Sportsmens, as they sell so many large ticket items.

I will definitely go for the Victoria's Secret I think, as that would be one I could really use. But I would really like to add another. I do not have any other store cards.

What sort of credit limits have people received at the various Comenity stores when pre-approved during the shopping cart?

Advice on where I should try?

Thanks!

Their limits don't seem to be consistent. I got a bunch of them when I was first rebuilding and they were all 250, but then I got Lane Bryant in store and they only gave me a crappy 150, and this is after my credit was much better. Actually, now that I think about it, I guess for me, its been all 250 CLs! Now GE is much better with their starting limits even with poor credit. Word of advice though, don't apply for cards you really don't want because its such a pain trying to force myself to buy stuff from J. Crew and others, when they have nothing I want. Just go for the ones you will actually use.

So I was trying out the 'shopping cart trick' to see which ones would offer me a pre-approval at checkout. I have not accepted any yet.

On Victoria's Secret, the pre-approval was $500.

On OneStopPlus, the pre-approval was $750.

I would have thought since all were based on soft-pulls and all are issued by same bank, the limits would be the same?

I can understand a higher opening limit if I was looking at Value City Furniture or maybe Sportsmens, as they sell so many large ticket items.

I will definitely go for the Victoria's Secret I think, as that would be one I could really use. But I would really like to add another. I do not have any other store cards.

What sort of credit limits have people received at the various Comenity stores when pre-approved during the shopping cart?

Advice on where I should try?

Thanks!

I don't apply in the store .............. but these are what I got for applying online - I don't think the results would be any different:

AVENUE (Ladies Plus Size Clothing store) Opened 11/2010 $650

PIER 1 Imports - Opened 09/2012 $3,000

Edited by Cactus Flower

My Express card came with an eye popping $400 limit. :). That got bumped to $500 almost right away (without any usage), and a few months later I made one purchase with it and they bumped it up again automatically to $900. Fast forward six months to this week, and now that my credit is clean my self-initiated CLI request resulted in the 7-10 day message. I don't know the outcome yet, nor do I really care.

DCook80, appreciate the advice about opening cards I do not need, or would have a hard time using. As you mention, it is hard when you are rebuilding. I do not think I could get a quality bank card, or at least want to bump my score a bit before I try. I have no store cards, so with only soft pulls, I could add two and maybe $1000-$1500 of credit. Yes, I do not think I would have a need for a OneStopPlus card, but if the $750 limit there is the best I can get, I did find a cute and inexpensive pair of earrings I could buy as a gift.

Thanks!

DCook80, appreciate the advice about opening cards I do not need, or would have a hard time using. As you mention, it is hard when you are rebuilding. I do not think I could get a quality bank card, or at least want to bump my score a bit before I try. I have no store cards, so with only soft pulls, I could add two and maybe $1000-$1500 of credit. Yes, I do not think I would have a need for a OneStopPlus card, but if the $750 limit there is the best I can get, I did find a cute and inexpensive pair of earrings I could buy as a gift.

Thanks!

If your goal is rebuilding at the moment, Comenity is probably the best option around in my opinion. When I was rebuilding a few years back, I ended up getting just about every Comenity,, then WWFNB card I was offered through the shopping cart trick with no hard inquiry at all. Fast forward to almost 3 years later, I have now 15 retail credit cards accounts that have aged with credit limits between $750 and $2500. Keep in mind that you can request CLI's increases every 4 months or so and they regularly bump you up by $200 or $300 each time. If you use their accounts, their increases are usually much more generous. Everything depends on your strategy, but if I were you, I wouldn't pass up One Stop Plus or Vickis, those cards would grow with you, they are usually the most aggressive in terms of increasing your credit limits. Best of luck to you.

my wife just got an auto-approval for a CLI on the Ann Taylor card. 1250->1650. something, but not really what we're looking for.

is it recommended to the luv button again now or tomorrow or whatever? do they do back to back sometimes?

They came out with a $1500 CL for HSN for me, then 750 and 500 for others.

I declined the other options though, didn't wanna get store card happy.

1500 is my highest CL so I didn't wanna spoil it.

My Express card came with an eye popping $400 limit. :). That got bumped to $500 almost right away (without any usage), and a few months later I made one purchase with it and they bumped it up again automatically to $900. Fast forward six months to this week, and now that my credit is clean my self-initiated CLI request resulted in the 7-10 day message. I don't know the outcome yet, nor do I really care.

Cv- was it a hard pull for your cli? I have an old Abercrombie card from 2001 that made it through my bk and is hence my oldest line. At 1000 limit...would like a bump, but not for a hard :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have too many Commenity cards because I got so excited in the beginning of my rebuilding stage and over did it a bit with the shopping cart trick. My starting limits were all over the place. Some started at 250, 300, 350 etc. That was in 2012 and all of them are over $1k now. No big deal to me at this point because I rarely use them now. Don't even need them for utilization anymore.

But my point is that they WILL grow with you no matter what the limit. I PIF sometimes and sometimes would carry a small balance for a few months and both ways resulted in increases.

Also one thing to keep in mind with them. If you get an increase, you need to generate a statement because if not, they will not report it to the bureaus until one is generated.

I kept it simple, 1 gas card, 1 store card, and 3 major's.

I have subscription items I can put on each of the majors to keep them with a balance without

having to buy useless stuff, and the others I use obviously as necessary then.

Till they start to grow some age, and then I'll thin them out

I agree that the limits are all over the place. I have a few of there cards that I got via shopping cart trick.

Victoria - $500, Avenue-$750,HSN Store card-$2,000 & Sportsman Guide Visa - $5,000.

Limits definitely started on the low end but grew quite a bit.

First large limit with them was the HSN card at $1500

I later got approved for their Sportsman's Guide Visa @ $2500. I like to think Bank of America matched that, lol.

I got multiple CLI on Total Rewards Visa and J. Crew, 2 increases in 1 day. Both also got increases before I even had the card in hand. Always SP.

Vitacost is my most recent acquisition from Comenity. Most get a pre-approval popup, but I never did. I did an old fashioned application, but 2 weeks later and they never HP my report (I did see 2 SP on EQ). Not an instant decision, the card arrived with a $7.5k limit a few days ago. It has not reported to CR yet, but over at Fico Forums a number of reports it is posting an open date of 1970 to CR.

I got multiple CLI on Total Rewards Visa and J. Crew, 2 increases in 1 day. Both also got increases before I even had the card in hand. Always SP.

Vitacost is my most recent acquisition from Comenity. Most get a pre-approval popup, but I never did. I did an old fashioned application, but 2 weeks later and they never HP my report (I did see 2 SP on EQ). Not an instant decision, the card arrived with a $7.5k limit a few days ago. It has not reported to CR yet, but over at Fico Forums a number of reports it is posting an open date of 1970 to CR.

what was your spend like?

what was your spend like?

Total Rewards:

Approved for $4k thru popup (ended up being a HP). Immediately set up acct since it doesn't require a card number and pressed increase button, got $2k increase to $6k before I had the card in hand. Once I got the card, met $1k spend for signup bonus, paid it before the statement cut, then hit CLI the day after and was increased by $3k to $9k limit. Haven't used it in 8 months, got another $2k a few weeks ago.

J. Crew:

Approved for $750 through popup. Once I got the card, I immediately hit CLI and got 2 increases before even using it. 3rd attempt resulted in 7-10 day. Those increases have been much smaller than Total Rewards, but I haven't been putting heavy spend through either of these.

I've been getting auto CLIs on my VS every 3 months. 500 each CLI. I have been putting about $50-60 a month on my VS. My express looks like I'm getting auto CLIs every 6 months but I'm not using that card at all. I tried to get my Express limit matched to my VS but that was a no go.

I've had both of these cards for very long time and didn't get them with the SC trick.

I have Fuel Rewards Mastercard, pre approval pop up, 14K credit limit. Even though pre approved, they also did a hard pull on Equifax. CLI via love button online no go.

Second card I've got was Total Rewards Visa, pre approval pop up, 6K credit limit, they also did a hard pull on Equifax. At activation I asked for a CLI with the rep on the phone, first said it was not possible, after a few minutes on hold, came back with a 14.9K credit limit, another hard pull on Equifax. Tried the love button after a couple of months, no go. These two I've got in December. This month I also got the Sportsman's Guide Visa with a 10K credit line and the Vitacost Mastercard at 8.5K credit limit, both with the shopping cart pop up, no hard pulls. After reading on here that some people have had success with the love button right after approval, tried it again, but no go. So I've got some good limits but as far as CLI go, none yet.

Edited by cezarius30

I tried the luv button on J.Crew and Victoria's Secret right after getting the cards. I got the 7-10 days notice for both. For J.Crew the letter said my score wasn't high enough; on VS the letter stated they wanted to see more history from me. I tried the luv button again after both statement's cycled twice, still no success.

I got the sportman's guide I think in November. $1250 limit. Don't know if I bothered to hit the luv button. I did use it but PIF. Only planning on using it every so often (Amazon gift cards anyone) to keep it alive unless I see something in their website I got to have. And no, deer pee ain't my evening fragrance. ;)

My Comenity account had a call in number for CLI requests. I would suggest that prior to hitting the LUV button. I got a $300 to $600 with the LUV button but I am under the impression I could have got a bump up to $1,000 at least with a call instead, she said I couldn't increase because I had done the online method already recently.

Also it was a SP. Wouldn't hurt for a GP to call and ask for $2,500. I have Brayln Homes and I stated I'm going to be furnishing a place and need the increase. This was a store card and not a MC.

The last post in this topic was posted 2394 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.