Sign in to follow this  
Tigz

Roll Call for our Oklahoma People!

And everyone in the path of the storm.

Stay safe...and underground if possible. But please let us know you are OK.

I am heartbroken! I just imagine the children at my school and how afraid they would be and it just makes me cry thinking of those young children (and anyone else) who may be trapped. Praying they find many survivors.

Local News twitter feed..

@kfor: Crews said it's no longer search & rescue mission at Moore elementary, now just recovery.

KFOR: 7 bodies of children found in a pool in Moore, #Oklahoma - none alive

Edited by Islandgal

May I ask.. just one question... Why.. in a region where violent tornadoes are not only common, but expected...are schools built ABOVE GROUND?!

Consider the fact. Building a single or double level school beneath the ground will not only protect it from the ravages of the wind, but it is also better use of real-estate because you can use the "ground level" as parking, or for play grounds, or ball fields.

Oh.. Might it be more expensive? Than..what? What just happened here?

You cannot really build much below ground in Oklahoma. The soil is clay and there is oil. But they could have storm shelters. And they don't.

When I lived down there I was not far at all from this. It is horrific. The latest is 51 dead. Poor Moore. That is a beautiful little town.

Those poor kids. The seven found dead were in a basement (one of the few). They drowned from flooding is what the local news is saying. But of course that could all change.

I'm still here.

Plaza Towers Elementary School was a 57 year old cinder block school. It probably wouldn't have stood a chance in a smaller tornado let alone in a F4-F5 tornado. They evacuated the older children to a nearby church basement, no idea why they didn't also evacuate the younger children. There was no basement in the school, the children hid in hallways and bathrooms. The children that drowned had been pinned under a wall.

Basements in Okla. are extremely expensive to build because of the ground, which could be clay, shale or rock, and because of the high water table. If a basement is constructed improperly, and maybe even properly, because of the high water table there is a good chance of it flooding and creating mold that would spread throughout the rest of the house. Also if a basement is built for tornado safety it would have an independent ceiling from the flooring of the house, which would add to the cost of building the basement.

Probably the best shelter would be the safe room that was developed by Texas Tech National Wind Institute. Those safe rooms are installed as a closet in the home, as a bathroom, a room in a garage or installed underground if possible. More cost effective and appears to be much safer than a basement. The school system should look at those instead of basements. (I'd love to have one myself)

It's terrible what those poor people are going through, again. This tornado followed almost the same exact path that the killer May 3, 1999 tornado took. The death toll with this tornado is different depending on which news station is reporting it. One station reports officials claim 91 deaths and others report 51 deaths.

Moore seems to be a tornado magnet. A local news channel interactive map of 3 major tornadoes that went through Moore....

http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/interactive-map-1999-2003-2013-moore-tornadoes/

(I wish I hadn't seen the pictures that a local veterinarian had taken when he went to the Orr Family farm to work on or euthanize any of the 75-100 horses that had survived, most of the horses didn't survive)

May I ask.. just one question... Why.. in a region where violent tornadoes are not only common, but expected...are schools built ABOVE GROUND?!

Consider the fact. Building a single or double level school beneath the ground will not only protect it from the ravages of the wind, but it is also better use of real-estate because you can use the "ground level" as parking, or for play grounds, or ball fields.

Oh.. Might it be more expensive? Than..what? What just happened here?

Edited by chi

I recently saw those safe rooms for sale in a mall while visiting my home town (Tulsa OK). They really caught my eye.

I can not see how those rooms would have done any good used above ground in this EF4 or EF5 tornado. In most cases I would agree this is a good option but in this case there was only one good option if you were in the direct path. That option is to be underground.Which has limited options in OK Nothing above ground withstood those

200 mph winds.Ive been around many tornados while growing up.They seem to be getting worse and worse.Of course Im sure if most of that is because it is hitting larger cities and not just farm land.

God Bless those kids and families affected by those storms. I cant imagine losing everything and worse losing a child that went to a" safe school" that morning.

My heart aches for them.

Medical Examiners office stated they had made mistakes in counting how many people had died. They are now saying the number is 24 at this time.

The safe room industry is not regulated and I wouldn't trust a safe room that doesn't meet the Texas Tech NWI / FEMA standards. The Texas Tech safe room is designed to withstand wind speeds of 250 mph, which is in the upper range of an F4 (207–260) tornado.

I'm wondering why they didn't evacuate the little ones too. Heartbreaking

I have several scenarios (of course all could be wrong)

1st, they could have been planning on coming back for the younger ones but the storm hit before they could. (older children can move faster, so that would probably be why they were taken first, while preparing the younger grades)

It is also possible that there wasn't enough room in the basement at the church (or there was not enough room in the fortified area of the school) so they split them up.

Or, lastly, they could have split them up on purpose to lower the chance of large scale mortality. It sounds callous, but it does make sense.

According to several articles and what was said on the news by the city planner, Plaza Towers elementary was the best fortified school in the area, and had since the 1999 tornadoes been refortified. (I am presuming they mean corridors or a safe area) But even that wouldn't hold up against a storm like that.

Growing up in Florida, I know that cinder block - especially cinder block reinforced with concrete or steel is the best protection against high winds...Of course not as secure as an all steel structure, but the cost to create such a structure....if even one could be built to that size...would be astronomical.

Yesterday, I heard that 51 people (including 20 kids) were killed.

Today on the news, the officials say that 24 people were killed (including 9 kids), and 237 people have been hurt.

I remember back in Seabrook sometime in the 1990s, there was tornado that destroyed an Eckerd's store, across from Kroger.

Back in the Spring of 1998 in my last year of Intermediate School, a tornado flipped over the bleachers at the Clear Creek High School track.

Yesterday, I heard that 51 people (including 20 kids) were killed.

Today on the news, the officials say that 24 people were killed (including 9 kids), and 237 people have been hurt.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18375741-at-least-51-killed-including-20-children-as-tornado-tears-through-oklahoma?lite

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/21/oklahoma-city-tornado-live-updates