Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Macy's Store Card -> Amex Upgrade: Your Experience = ?

How long did it take to complete your upgrade from the store card to the Amex?

I talked to Macy's about a week ago about upgrading my store card to a Macy's American Express after a botched CLI request (I took a hard inquiry for an increase from $800 -> $1500).

I was told that there was nothing in my credit profile that should prevent approval, and that it would take 7-10 days for a decision.

I logged into my account as recently as two minutes ago and my account is still showing the store (red) card.

What was your experience with the upgrade?

It was about maybe one week before I noticed another account online. I was told that it could take thirty days and that they do all of the applications at once.

It was about maybe one week before I noticed another account online. I was told that it could take thirty days and that they do all of the applications at once.

Interesting... thank you very much!

I just got a "regular" Macy's card a couple of weeks ago........not Amex. I did get approved last year for a Dillards Amex right out of the gate. How long did you guys have our plain Vanilla Macy's card before you asked about the Amex product?

I opened my Macy's store card in January of 2011, with two COs 5+ years old on my credit report. They gave me an $800 CL. I have only used the card on a limited basis (maybe six or eight times total, to get some additional discounts that were only available if I paid with the card).

The COs have since aged off, and my reports are now perfect. They've been softing my EFX file, but so far I've only been able to get the bump to $1500 - with a hard pull on TU. All of my OTHER recent approvals have been in the $10-$15,000 range.

Thanks ..I'll probably wait a year. Just like most people, I get these store cards to tap special store discounts/sales and nothing more.

Right. No meaningful rewards at all besides that... I'd rather use any of my 11 other cards for better perks. :)

I have the regular Macy's since April 2010 and applied and was approved for the American Express in February 2012. I was told they don't take into account history with the store card and they go strictly off of the credit report.The store card had a 1000 limit at the time and the American Express was approved for 5000.

Edited by nbipbm

I have the regular Macy's since April 2010 and applied and was approved for the American Express in February 2012. I was told they don't take into account history with the store card and they go strictly off of the credit report.The store card had a 1000 limit at the time and the American Express was approved for 5000.

Thanks for the insight. The person I spoke to said that she didn't see anything on my credit report that should prevent approval. I hope my experience mirrors yours!

Thanks for the insight. The person I spoke to said that she didn't see anything on my credit report that should prevent approval. I hope my experience mirrors yours!

Good luck.

I wish they, and Walmart, would auto bump to network cards when they soft and see a great report.

That would be good, but the biggest negative for me is that it shows as a brand new account. I wonder why they can't just update the current account.

Good luck.

>I wish they, and Walmart, would auto bump to network cards when they soft and see a great report.

That would be good, but the biggest negative for me is that it shows as a brand new account. I wonder why they can't just update the current account.

Walmart or Macy's??

Macy's. He posted about it above. Bummer nbipm

The pronoun "it" was non-specific, hence my question. That response was to your quote "That would be good, but the biggest negative for me is that it shows as a brand new account. I wonder why they can't just update the current account."

I meant the Macy's card shows as a new account. I have no experience with the Walmart cards, so I have no information on them.

The pronoun "it" was non-specific, hence my question. That response was to your quote "That would be good, but the biggest negative for me is that it shows as a brand new account. I wonder why they can't just update the current account."

wasn't being a b!tch, just answering your question and providing how I deduced it, since he was already talking about Macys :)

wasn't being a b!tch, just answering your question and providing how I deduced it, since he was already talking about Macys :)

And I'm only splitting hairs because a new account from Macy's would only reduce my AAOA even further... like I need that! :P I just really want to be sure of the answer.

I have had a Macy's card since 2004 with a CL of 6200 and a Club account since 10/2012 with a CL of 4100. I attempted an upgrade to Amex and nothing happened, waited 2 billing cycles called again; this time took a hard inq and no upgrade. Received letter saying sorry, but no reasons and I could write to a PO Box to get reasons, which I did not waste the time.

And I'm only splitting hairs because a new account from Macy's would only reduce my AAOA even further... like I need that! :P I just really want to be sure of the answer.

I checked online today and the upgrade from store card to Macy's Amex is complete. I'll watch my reports to see if it shows up as a new account.

I think I'll cancel my Amex Gold Card now. The only thing I use it for is buying gas at Costco, and now I don't even need it for that. It's not worth a $125 annual fee to get a few MR points on one tank of gas a month, especially when the MR points won't even transfer to my preferred airlines.

Let me chime in here. Was at 34th last Saturday with my brother, went to Macy's he applied for credit, instant approval. Store card limit 1,200. Now my turn, applied same results. HUH!!!

I personally had Bk Macy's and few other accounts Stern's, A&S and a furniture account totalling 14.7k. That was about 10 years back and my bk was on 05-2006. Tried few times, always came back decline reason stated was prior deliquency on old account, never mentioned my BK or never pulled my credit report.

My brother also had defaulted on his old account at about the same time as myself, but he never BK. Same thing, applied few times, same results decline because prior deliquency. He just decided to apply for the heck of it and was shocked on the approval as I was. But I really freaked out that they approved me, I was on their dog pound. Got home called about account type, Rep told me I was approved for both accounts, Amex limit 5k, store card 1.2k. WHAT!!! HUH!!! I'm still alive.

Monday, he called same thing approved for Amex 6k, store card 1.2k. WHAT!!!! He's still living, lmao. To say we shocked is a massive under statement.

Now, got the cards, YAY... getting two accounts with two seperate bills. BOO, yes they both report seperately as stated on our terms.

Let me chime in here. Was at 34th last Saturday with my brother, went to Macy's he applied for credit, instant approval. Store card limit 1,200. Now my turn, applied same results. HUH!!!

I personally had Bk Macy's and few other accounts Stern's, A&S and a furniture account totalling 14.7k. That was about 10 years back and my bk was on 05-2006. Tried few times, always came back decline reason stated was prior deliquency on old account, never mentioned my BK or never pulled my credit report.

My brother also had defaulted on his old account at about the same time as myself, but he never BK. Same thing, applied few times, same results decline because prior deliquency. He just decided to apply for the heck of it and was shocked on the approval as I was. But I really freaked out that they approved me, I was on their dog pound. Got home called about account type, Rep told me I was approved for both accounts, Amex limit 5k, store card 1.2k. WHAT!!! HUH!!! I'm still alive.

Monday, he called same thing approved for Amex 6k, store card 1.2k. WHAT!!!! He's still living, lmao. To say we shocked is a massive under statement.

Now, got the cards, YAY... getting two accounts with two seperate bills. BOO, yes they both report seperately as stated on our terms.

Congrats! So you got off the Macy's blacklist. I never understood the dual cards though...and why they do that to some folks.

Congrats! So you got off the Macy's blacklist. I never understood the dual cards though...and why they do that to some folks.

They try you for the American Express branded first and if you don't qualify, you just get the store card. There is no way to only have the American Express branded card and not the store card. Any new account from Macy's, even though they say "sub account", will report as a new account and have separate statements.

TY TY sir.

Congrats on your journey as well, Superb job there.

They try you for the American Express branded first and if you don't qualify, you just get the store card. There is no way to only have the American Express branded card and not the store card. Any new account from Macy's, even though they say "sub account", will report as a new account and have separate statements.

Exactly, plus 24.50 apr on both types is so undesirable to say the least

Exactly, plus 24.50 apr on both types is so undesirable to say the least

So I'm going to have a store card and an Amex, huh? Weird indeed. Whatev.