Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

USAA Secured Credit Card

The last post in this topic was posted 2761 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Is USAA a good secured credit card to go far? And are they available for non-military? I need another positive trade line reporting. What about Capital One secured? Do they report as secured? How are both of these companies in terms of graduating to unsecured?

Search for the secured card master thread. Everything you'd ever want to know is already there.

It's for full members only. Check out DCU. Does not report as secured and graduates.

Edited by mendelssohn

The Capital one card does not report secured but it does not graduate either.

However, if you manage it well and have more negative than positive it is relatively easy to get approved for one of their unsecured cards like the rewards. (Not the Venture that takes EXCELLENT credit)

Edited by Clydesmom

The Capital One secured card is great because it's easy to qualify for, and it reports timely (also reports as a normal card). My favorite part about the card is that the deposit towards the credit line can be increased at your convenience in $25 increments. So you can slowly build up the credit limit.

The disappointing factor about this card is its inability to grow with you. The card is advertised as "Road to Credit" and "earn credit line increases with good payment history." Well, those "increases" are just one small increase, and then your road comes to a dead end. I talked to the executive office about this and he agreed that it's a little misleading, but there was nothing they could do about it.

Seeing as you already have a Wells Fargo card, that's going to be your oldest tradline, and will probably graduate. So you wouldn't have to worry so much about closing out a Capital One card if you need to. My Capital One secured is my oldest active line, and with my older lines beginning to fall off this year, I'm not willing to close it, so I'll be paying their annual fee for a while and letting them keep my deposit.

The last post in this topic was posted 2761 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By desibaaba
      Thank you Credit board members for a wealth of information.

It's time to say good bye.
      Relieved after closing accounts.

Merrick Bank ( July 2008) Limit: 1650 Annual Fee 96.00
      Merrick Bank ( Hooters Card) ( Sep 2008) Limit: 1100 Annual Fee: 96.00
      Capital One ( Feb 2009) Limit: 1000 Annual fee: 39:00
    • By Mothergoose24
      *Disclaimer: typing with my iPad, so I apologize for errors!

Today while doing my daily pulls I noticed something Imtersting.

A little back story first. I received a letter stating that Navient who I never heard of was buying my loans, but nothing else would change. I received that letter probably six months before the switch. Well, soon after the switch, I log on to my new navient account only to find that half of my loans are gone. I then get another letter a week later stating the Nelnet has purchased half of my loans. I was pretty mad considering Sallie Mae said nothing else would change, so did Navient. I didn't know anything of this until after it happened. So after being aggravated, I just decided to deal with it, set them all up for auto pay again, and forget about them.

Well, today I login to find that during the switch my Navient loans were closed and new Nelnet loans were reporting, but the new Nelnet loans were reporting with my original loan date, so it added 10 months to my AAOA and also 10 months to my credit length history. Raised my score to the tune of 8 points on my EQ. so essentially it added four new accounts with old 2006-2008 dates

The second odd thing was my capital one card that I got during college (my first cc) which only had a limit of $500 was bumped to $2000. I asked for a CLI last year and they said no, so I called and asked and they said they wouldn't give me one since I didn't use the car, I complanined saying that I have credit lines of well over 10k and i would never use it with that low of a limit, they still said no. I never login and even check that account, but just so happened to check and boom the AUTO CLI, which seemed odd to me. I may have to use it now a couple times to show them I still care 👍😀

Anyone else have a similar experience with their Student Loans. I'm on the downside and hoping to pay them off this year, but thought that it was interesting how it took place on my CRs. Didn't think they would process like that. My old loans show (Transferred/Sold/Closed.)

INPUT PLEASE?
    • By belairpatrol
      Just past 6 months and interest rate is 22.9%. Will they pull credit report if I ask for lower interest rate?
    • By Aahz
      So, when I signed up for MyFICO recently I didn't actually read , so didn't realize I'd only be getting one 3-in-1 report per year. Not acceptable, but totally on me

So, I poke around CB per usual when I have a credit related question and eventually stumble across BW's Master How to Sign up for USAA CreditCheck Monitoring Premium (CCMP) Thread. Cool.

I follow along his steps and, after entering my SSN the site returns a message asking me to confirm that I am [NAME REDACTED]. Now here's the "funny" part - the name they showed was my birth name, which I haven't used (and hasn't been on my Social Security card, credit reports or ANYthing else) in over two decades!

Clearly, I think, they're connecting to some bizarre, totally outdated database. But I soldier on (so to speak), confirming that I am, indeed this person and managed to get signed up.

After checking out my reports and learning my way around the CCMP site I return to the USAA site and notice that I actually entered my address wrong. So, I go to change it and, after entering the correct info and clicking next, the site informs me that it can't change info for MY MOTHER because we live at a different addresses. Now, I haven't spoken to my mother almost a decade and I certainly didn't enter her name anywhere at USAA or CCMP, (other than her maiden name as requested, but the name they posted back to me was her (third) married name) so I'm compleely flumoxed.

I poke around a little more and it seems I not only signed up for CCMP, but also managed to join USAA, which I thought was impossible for me. My father was in the Air Force and the Navy, but I haven't spoken him since the day I graduated from high school in 1987, so I would have no idea any of his relevant required info. My maternal grandfather was also in the Navy, but he died over 20 years ago, so again, I have no access to his info.

Yet, alas, I've somehow not only (literally) stumbled into USAA membership, but my account has somehow been created under a name that is no longer legally mine and been connected to my estranged mother's account.

DO things get any more bizarre?
    • By Quietman
      Well, one more step for the DW. Approved for $16K on their Rate Advantage Platinum MasterCard, HP on EQ.

Her Scores:

Exp : 789
      TU : 798
      Eq : 806

Over the last twelve days, she's scored:

AMEX EDC - $9,400 to $28,200
      NFCU Flagship - $10,000
      NASA Visa - $13,000
      BECU - $25,000
      BOA - $8,200 > $16,400
      USAA - $16,000

For a total of $91,000 in new credit!

I think this evening she'll apply for a second NFCU and a Citi card, then off to the garden!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Myke
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines