Wells Fargo Backdating/Reopening Account

The last post in this topic was posted 2861 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I closed a positive W/F CC in 2004. Not having an understanding of credit during my college years, I didn't have another Tradeline PERIOD until late 2010 (I just used cash, such a dumb move).

I have obviously since learned about the importance of credit, & spent the last few years building a stable of tradelines. My FICO is now solid, my Utility is ~2%... but my AAOA is being kept afloat solely by that closed W/F card from 2004.

Since that account is going to drop off my credit report next year, my AAOA (already my weakest FICO area), is going to be CRUSHED.

So I pondered... could I apply for a new CC, & have them keep the original account open date? I know AMEX does it, so it is possible... but I would guesstimate I probably only have a 2% chance of getting someone @ W/F to agree to do it.

I don't mind the HP, I don't care what CL they give me... I JUST want that original Open Date to remain 2004 on my credit reports.

Any thoughts or advice?

Guest Tanya2013

Dude. We did the some thing . I closed my oldest WF account and called to get it back . The answer is "no" zero chance .......

I closed a positive W/F CC in 2004. Not having an understanding of credit during my college years, I didn't have another Tradeline PERIOD until late 2010 (I just used cash, such a dumb move).

I have obviously since learned about the importance of credit, & spent the last few years building a stable of tradelines. My FICO is now solid, my Utility is ~2%... but my AAOA is being kept afloat solely by that closed W/F card from 2004.

Since that account is going to drop off my credit report next year, my AAOA (already my weakest FICO area), is going to be CRUSHED.

So I pondered... could I apply for a new CC, & have them keep the original account open date? I know AMEX does it, so it is possible... but I would guesstimate I probably only have a 2% chance of getting someone @ W/F to agree to do it.

I don't mind the HP, I don't care what CL they give me... I JUST want that original Open Date to remain 2004 on my credit reports.

Any thoughts or advice?

Dude. We did the some thing . I closed my oldest WF account and called to get it back . The answer is "no" zero chance .......

I'm glad I'm not alone... such a dumb move right?

However, I'm not content to take a "No, 0% chance" answer from some entry-level CSR...

SOMEONE @ W/F has the ability to manually do this... the only question is who is that person, & how much time/effort do I need to put forth to get it done.

I have 7 months before the TL falls off... plenty of time to find that special person @ Wells who is willing to do it.

Interesting patois.

Dude, how true.

I consider myself a fairly intelligent human being... so can someone please explain to me what this has to with my question?

Nothing to do with intelligence, and nothing to do with your question. Sorry to have interrupted your thread.

I agree that getting an issuer to reopen a card is pretty much impossible, and of all of my cards my Wells Fargo card is arguably the second most useless (perhaps tied for most useless with my Capital One card).

I would move on to greener pastures.

Interesting patois.

Dude, how true.

I consider myself a fairly intelligent human being... so can someone please explain to me what this has to with my question?

Nothing to do with intelligence, and nothing to do with your question. Sorry to have interrupted your thread.

I agree that getting an issuer to reopen a card is pretty much impossible, and of all of my cards my Wells Fargo card is arguably the second most useless (perhaps tied for most useless with my Capital One card).

Thanks! I just have nothing to lose by trying I guess. Since I have TL's with every other big card issuer, & I know W/F loves upselling multiple products to a single individual... maybe I can sweeten the pot by offering to move my checking/savings to them?

I don't even need them to open the old account... I just need them to re-age my new CC to 2004.

It just seems so simple in my head... "Open new CC... have W/F change Open Date from 2013 to 2004. W/F clicks 'save', & closes screen."

Should I even try a local branch, or just srart working on backdoor #'s & executive emails?

Interesting patois.

Dude, how true.

Thanks! I just have nothing to lose by trying I guess. Since I have TL's with every other big card issuer, & I know W/F loves upselling multiple products to a single individual... maybe I can sweeten the pot by offering to move my checking/savings to them?

I don't even need them to open the old account... I just need them to re-age my new CC to 2004.

It just seems so simple in my head... "Open new CC... have W/F change Open Date from 2013 to 2004. W/F clicks 'save', & closes screen."

Should I even try a local branch, or just srart working on backdoor #'s & executive emails?

IME, the branch personnel at WF, including the branch managers, have almost zero authority beyond waiving a fee or two.

Everyone I've met with in my branch just called the same 800 number that I would have had to call to get something resolved. Even when I had tens of thousands of dollars on deposit (and had been a customer for over a decade, without so much as an overdraft) I couldn't get them to give me a credit limit over a thousand measly bucks. Granted my scores were 680ish at the time, but really?

Nice people, just not empowered to do anything. Fast forward about two years and my credit is perfect, and I still have a thousand dollar limit on my Visa, which they will not consider increasing without a HP. They can @#%$ it.

Edited by cv91915
Guest Tanya2013

I'm glad I'm not alone... such a dumb move right?

However, I'm not content to take a "No, 0% chance" answer from some entry-level CSR...

SOMEONE @ W/F has the ability to manually do this... the only question is who is that person, & how much time/effort do I need to put forth to get it done.

I have 7 months before the TL falls off... plenty of time to find that special person @ Wells who is willing to do it.

You know what ,After closed my WF card 24 hours ,I called back ask for reopened .but they refused do it .The reason I closed it because the WF offer a little reward with a little limit ,Yes WF credit card sucks .I shouldn't even applied it .But we did .There is no point you can reopened the account .I even went to WF branch ,The lady in there tried let me sign a new app !!!!! No way .No more hard pull form WF and she sold me a " Thief Id " cost me $15.99 per month ,Had called canceled it .However i made a mistake but anyway ,WF is not good credit card issuer

Interesting patois.

Dude, how true.

There is absolutely no company that will reopen a CC that has been closed for nearly 10 years, and Amex is the only company that backdates. You're wasting your time trying.

Forget reopening the account, Opening a new CC & Backdating is my plan. Is AMEX really the only company in history to backdate an old account? If anyone has had success with ANY company backdating an account besides AMEX, please share.

Forget reopening the account, Opening a new CC & Backdating is my plan. Is AMEX really the only company in history to backdate an old account? If anyone has had success with ANY company backdating an account besides AMEX, please share.

Yes, Amex is absolutely the only company that backdates.

even when creditors are willing to, the customer will have to meet current underwritting standards.

given how much WF's credit cards suck, why bother.

Because it is the only TL I have on my reports between 2004 & 2010.

It is anchoring my FICO AAOA, & I need it to not fall off.

They could give me no rewards & a $50CL, I just need that 2004 Open Date.

Remember that your Open Lines AAOA is not going to be affected by that closed line falling off

Your oldest account would drop from >10 years to 4 years.

It won't hurt nearly as much as you're fearing.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=497484&page=9&do=findComment&comment=4845166

It was my understanding that both open & closed accounts were used to calculate AAOA. Am I mistaken my friend?

Calculated both ways.

FICO doesn't separate out open and closed explicitly,

but think about it,

it would not make sense for someone with 0 open, and 20 closed accounts,

to be scored as the same risk as someone with 20 open accounts.

Calculated both ways.

FICO doesn't separate out open and closed explicitly,

but think about it,

it would not make sense for someone with 0 open, and 20 closed accounts,

to be scored as the same risk as someone with 20 open accounts.

Touche. I will just let it drop off next year & refrain from opening new unneeded accounts.

1 last question... Does FICO still take into account non-Amex AU accounts into AAOA (piggybacking)?

I have read conflicting reports, starting around 2009.

Thanks BW!

Ah, yes, if it reports, it's usually included.

FICO8 has an algorithm to exclude non-spousal AUs, and the Walmart TU08 reflects that.

But I don't know of any issure that's using FICO8 right now.

Ah, yes, if it reports, it's usually included.

FICO8 has an algorithm to exclude non-spousal AUs, and the Walmart TU08 reflects that.

But I don't know of any issure that's using FICO8 right now.

How would any FICO algorithm determine if it was a spouse, or just a family member with the same last name?

The last post in this topic was posted 2861 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.