Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Macys Store Card CLI through online chat - Soft Pull :)

The last post in this topic was posted 2821 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello everybody, (I forgot to post this on CB) that about 4 months ago I logged into macys website and then I initiated an online chat with customer service.

Card Opened April 2010 with $2,000 CL - decent usage, always PIF, Asked the online chat CSR if I could get a CLI and I asked for 5k, they instantly countered with a new CL of $3k. So a 50% increase with a soft pull (not as big as GECRB CLI's but I'll take it on a SP anyday!!!)

BTW: they did a soft on EQ (here in California)

Please post your results for those of you who wish to try this technique with online chat CLI requests.

Edited by creditmmax

Congrats!!!! I have had the card for almost ten years. I got a CLI for a few years. They decreased CL to $3400. I might get a CLI thru online chat.

Ron.

Has anyonr else found success with this? I -really- do not want to chance a hard pull that could be better used towards a Chase CLI or new card.

Has anyonr else found success with this? I -really- do not want to chance a hard pull that could be better used towards a Chase CLI or new card.

I'm not sure if it is customary for them to Soft Pull, but it worked for me and I show zero HP from Macys (now after 4 months), I do see a SP through EQ backdoor. Again it may be YMMV, not sure - that Is why I posted this to see if others have had success using the online chat with a SP (Btw: my Macys version is the Non-Amex), not sure if that matters?

I would wait for confirmation from about 3-4 others that they got a SP only and if so your probably safe IMO

Edited by creditmmax

Congrats on your success! I have the Amex version and called in the past 30 days to see if I could get the store limit on the dual card raised. They told me it would be a hard inquiry. I decided not to go through with the process in hopes of a future automatic increase. I did not want to risk on EX inquiry since it is not frozen and I did not know which one they would end up pulling. I had it frozen when I first received the card but cannot risk another one on EX.

I'll keep watching the thread to see any other successes with soft inquiries.

I have requested this by asking them to review my account for an increase and if a HP is required that I don't authorize it so please stop if the system requests it. I have done this twice and the first time it was successful and the second time I was told that the system wouldn't allow anything without an hp. Of course she did try but it was a no go.

So it is definitely possible but your best bet is to call the back door number as they understand the difference between the two pulls. The frontline csr are totally clueless and I wouldn't risk it with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have requested this by asking them to review my account for an increase and if a HP is required that I don't authorize it so please stop if the system requests it. I have done this twice and the first time it was successful and the second time I was told that the system wouldn't allow anything without an hp. Of course she did try but it was a no go.

So it is definitely possible but your best bet is to call the back door number as they understand the difference between the two pulls. The frontline csr are totally clueless and I wouldn't risk it with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed... when I did the chat feature the rep never asked me permission to review my credit report. They simply said they were going to review my account history and about 1 minute later I got a congrats we are immediatley increasing your CL to $3k.

So it is possible, but I do not know the number for the Macy's backdoor? what kind of results have people got using it? Is the backdoor more generous CLIs compared to chat or regular phone call on the card? Just curious. Also how frequently do you advise to request a CLI with Macy's?

Thanks for the info

Edited by creditmmax

I have had CLIs via phone with only a soft. I could be wrong, but I think it helps if you haven't requested one in a long time and they have recently softed you. Freeze your CRs as insurance doesn't hurt either. ;)

congrats!

Thanks Trevor

I have had CLIs via phone with only a soft. I could be wrong, but I think it helps if you haven't requested one in a long time and they have recently softed you. Freeze your CRs as insurance doesn't hurt either. ;)

Good point PotO. I had the account opened for over 2 years without ever requesting a CLI. Perhaps this explains the SP when requesting a CLI.

+1 on Freezing your CRs for those who want to play it safe

Edited by creditmmax

congrats!

Thanks Trevor

Good point PotO. I had the account opened for over 2 years without ever requesting a CLI. Perhaps this explains the SP when requesting a CLI.

+1. With Experian frozen I called Macy's for a CLI a few months back, and the woman who answered swore up and down that it wouldn't matter... No HP necessary, blahblahblah. Then she put me on hold and came back 90 seconds later and rather politely and with apparent amnesia stated that she couldn't help me because Experian was frozen. Uh, no chocolate!

congrats!

Thanks Trevor

I've been able to get soft inquiry CLIs from a number of lenders who traditionally require a hard inquiry just by freezing. I've even had them send a FICO score when they didn't approve the full amount of my request.

congrats!

Thanks Trevor

ockquote>Good point PotO. I had the account opened for over 2 years without ever requesting a CLI. Perhaps this explains the SP when requesting a CLI.

+1. With Experian frozen I called Macy's for a CLI a few months back, and the woman who answered swore up and down that it wouldn't matter... No HP necessary, blahblahblah. Then she put me on hold and came back 90 seconds later and rather politely and with apparent amnesia stated that she couldn't help me because Experian was frozen. Uh, no chocolate!

OK, Experian is still frozen, but I just got a CLI via chat as well. $800 -> $1,500. This is the ONLY increase they've even given me since I opened the card in early 2011 (during which time my scores have gone from the low 6s to the mid 7s).

They last softed me on Equifax on 3/29 (unless she just did a new one during our chat session).

congrats!

Thanks Trevor

>

ockquote> Good point PotO. I had the account opened for over 2 years without ever requesting a CLI. Perhaps this explains the SP when requesting a CLI.

+1 on Freezing your CRs for those who want to play it safeockquote>

+1. With Experian frozen I called Macy's for a CLI a few months back, and the woman who answered swore up and down that it wouldn't matter... No HP necessary, blahblahblah. Then she put me on hold and came back 90 seconds later and rather politely and with apparent amnesia stated that she couldn't help me because Experian was frozen. Uh, no chocolate!lockquote>

W A I T J U S T A M I N U T E

I just checked again this morning, and Macy's pulled a hard inquiry on Equifax for this Chocolate Goodness CLI. (Really? $1,500? My Eq score is +/- 750 with ZERO derog info, and have I several five-figure CLs from major card issuers reporting, some for over ten years).

A bump to $1,500 on my Macy's card would have only been worth it to me if this was a soft... I don't use this card much.

So much for my exuberance and my pristine Equifax file. Now I'm bitter...

Thank God my Experian file was frozen...

Edited by cv91915

I just checked again this morning, and Macy's pulled a hard inquiry on Equifax for this Chocolate Goodness CLI. (Really? $1,500? My Eq score is +/- 750 with ZERO derog info, and I have several five-figure CLs from major card issuers reporting, some for over ten years).

A bump to $1,500 on my Macy's card would have only been worth it to me if this was a soft... I don't use this card much.

Edited by cv91915

I just checked again this morning, and Macy's pulled a hard inquiry on Equifax for this Chocolate Goodness CLI. (Really? $1,500? My Eq score is +/- 750 with ZERO derog info, and I have several five-figure CLs from major card issuers reporting, some for over ten years).

Very sorry to hear that. A hard pull for a measly $1,500 sucks.

Good to keep everything frozen 7/24.

I knew the risk when I took the bet, I'm just pi$$ed that I lost. :P

That is a bummer. Sorry they did a HP - I guess its is YMMV with Macys. Time fo you to B* now.... (good think your EX was frozen, otherwise you may have taken a 2 year hit that you cannot B*)

That is a bummer. Sorry they did a HP - I guess its is YMMV with Macys. Time fo you to B* now.... (good think your EX was frozen, otherwise you may have taken a 2 year hit that you cannot B*)
Definitely YMMV. Last time I tried a CLI it was by phone and it was declined because (a) Experian was frozen and (b ) they looked at the most recent soft Equifax file they had from several weeks prior, which still included the last CO on my report... which had since aged off...

So when I tried this time via chat I couldn't imagine it would have been a WORSE outcome... Especially since they had recenlty pulled a soft of my now-pristine Equifax file.

Whatev.

As for B* on Equifax... Just canceled my pullers after getting down to zero non-stickies just before April's C*. :|

Edited by cv91915

All may not be lost. I just called the backdoor number, and while they wouldn't budge on the CLI, I asked - and they agreed - to have the same inquiry used as the basis for a request to upgrade my store card to a Macy's Amex. She said that she didn't see anything on my credit that would prevent the request from being granted. I'll get a letter in 7-10 days with the decision, and I'll update this thread with the results.

The last post in this topic was posted 2821 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.