Daughter signed for student loan at 17

The last post in this topic was posted 2928 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Ok just found out that the loan that my step daughter was being harassed for by a CA and had her tax return taken was signed by her and only her when she was 17 not even 17 and 1/2 this was signed online.

The age of majority in Az where signed it is 18 for contracts.

So what should be her course of action, she is now 22 going on 23 is there a statue of limitations on her saying hey this contract is null and void due to her being 17 at the time. By the way she did this through University of Phoenix. Imagine that?

They don't need a court order to seize tax returns in Cali, if it's a government institution that says you owe a debt. I had it done twice, once by the City's parking violations department and once for a community college course.

Both times they had no right to take the money (my own bad luck, the parking ticket was someone else's and the college was a glitch) so I am still fighting to get my money back in both cases. One of them is from 3 years ago!

Attempting to use under age, will not work.

Review your original Terms & Agreement of your contract.

The Federal Government can seize your tax refund if you owe any Government entity debt.

No court order required.

However, in most cases the Government would notify you in advance.

Failure to respond to these notices of bad debt, they can and will go after tax refunds.

Remember, the interest continues to accumulate.

Suggest your daughter make some type of arrangement to pay her student loan.

They don't need a court order to seize tax returns in Cali, if it's a government institution that says you owe a debt. I had it done twice, once by the City's parking violations department and once for a community college course.

Both times they had no right to take the money (my own bad luck, the parking ticket was someone else's and the college was a glitch) so I am still fighting to get my money back in both cases. One of them is from 3 years ago!

OP is in AZ.

University of Phoenix isn't state owned, and didn't say it was a goverment backed student loan; it could be a private loan.

the IRS can only turn over your tax refund to the DOE if it was a goverment backed student loan.

Contracts entered into by minors generally have to be disaffirmed within a year or 2 of them reaching majority

I can't seem to find anything on this in AZ revised statutes which have been rewritten since the last supreme court ruling on minority contracts ( 1939 )

we need the full story - and ; how much was this loan for, what is the amount they are saying is due?

any court fight may be costly, and AZ courts are not debtor friendly.

The last post in this topic was posted 2928 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.