Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Pyran..if you are coming to DC, fair warning we are about to be invaded...

The last post in this topic was posted 2760 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

It's Locust time...we are getting invaded this year..17 year locusts..you might have some unwanted guests in your hotel room..

They get everywhere, they are noisy, creepy crawl in your hair,I see people covered in them....one time I saw bride trying to get married, but her white dress was green with them.. :rofl:

After 17 years, Brood II cicadas will descend on the D.C. area this year between April and June. According to magicicada.org,
a project sponsored by the National Geographic Society, Brood II cicadas will begin to emerge when the soil temperature reaches 64
degrees

r-MAGICICADA-large570.jpg?6

Edited by Islandgal

But it definitely hasn't been 17 years since the last invasion? I just googled last week wondering when I need to hide out in my home. It was HORRIBLE. I know it hasn't been 17 years, because my son is only 9...I wasn't even pregnant with him. I think it's been 10 years.

That's because there are seven species of periodical cicadas, four with 13-year life cycles and three with 17-year cycles

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/21/cicadas-to-invade-the-area-this-springsummer/

Prepare yourself, DMV. Cicadas are coming back.

According to Smithsonian Magazine, 1996 was the last time the 17-year “Brood II” cicadas emerged from the ground. That means the brood, which
populates areas of Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, North Carolina, NewJersey and Pennsylvania, will be out in force this spring or summer.

Magicicada.org says they will emerge when the temperature 8 inches below the surface of the ground reaches 64 degrees. Named after the
genus cicadas are classified under, the website is a National Geographic Society-sponsored cicada mapping project.

Brood II, or the “East Coast Brood,” is not to be confused with Brood X, also known as the “Great Eastern Brood.” Brood X most recently surfaced in 2004 and isn’t expected to return until 2021.

Magicicada.org says periodical cicadas are only found in eastern North America, and
tend to linger for 4-6 weeks once they surface. There are seven species of periodical cicadas, four with 13-year life cycles and three with 17-year cycles.

Florida must not get swarms that often. But we do get them.
One of our favorite things to do was to go collect their moltings/exoskeletons off the trees in spring/summer. (don't ask me why...we just did it)

LOL that will be fun...Liz loves bugs...

At least I don't have to worry about them getting into my hair ;)

We'll be there June 17th-21st....so maybe we'll miss most of them...

The last post in this topic was posted 2760 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.