Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

USAA gives CC limits like NFCU?

The last post in this topic was posted 2757 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi CBers! I was wondering if anyone knows if USAA gives initial cc limits like NFCU? I'm developing my strategy to get my white whales in 2014 and beyond. I'm not a full member yet as I'm trying to convince my father who is retired military to join.

No, USAA doesn't give big initial credit lines.

Tomorrow, my USAA credit card will be 6 months old. I applied for a bunch of cards during that time frame and USAA is one of my lower limits at 6K.

No, USAA doesn't give big initial credit lines.

Tomorrow, my USAA credit card will be 6 months old. I applied for a bunch of cards during that time frame and USAA is one of my lower limits at 6K.

I've got a clean report, no baddies and no lates. 7-8 inqs on EQ and TU. EX frozen. Scores in sig...was your CR/Scores similar to mine when you apped?

With no baddies, and a 720 or higher, as a full member USAA, may give limits similar to the other poster, or even higher if totally clean, with the right income. Definitely not as generous as NFCU except for the upper echelon. Also, they have been closely watching the portfolio for any problems. They were the only ones to AA me when a student loan got misreported as late.

No, USAA doesn't give big initial credit lines...

False

And true.

It all depends. If you have good credit in their eyes and are a prime member, they can be very generous.

My initial limit with Navy Fed was larger than initial at USAA. And as it stands now I have a 80K limit on Navy Flagship and 50K on USAA AMEX.

My initial limits at USAA were higher at 11K & 12K than Navy. But NFCU is higher now. I've seen ALOT of 5-digit initial approvals at USAA with clean reports.

I called for recon and USAA refused to give me anything higher until there's at least 6 months of history. My income is very solid and my EQ report was fairly clean and the only inquiries were from a 6-month old mortgage application.

I called for recon and USAA refused to give me anything higher until there's at least 6 months of history. My income is very solid and my EQ report was fairly clean and the only inquiries were from a 6-month old mortgage application.

USAA likes *sparkling* clean EQ to be approved instantly for 5-digit CL, IME. They're also pretty tough with CLI's, I was told I had to wait 1 year for best results. :(

But they treated me pretty good when I did ask, I swung for the upper deck and they gave me 80% of that!! :wub::D

USAA has already been relegated to the sock drawer. I don't even want to use it sparingly.

If they don't give me CLI soon, they can join my ChaMu cards.

They were amazing to me today. 725 score, most recent late was 13 months ago, multiple old lates from 4-5 years ago, they gave me $15K MasterCard.

USAA has already been relegated to the sock drawer. I don't even want to use it sparingly. If they don't give me CLI soon, they can join my ChaMu cards.

If you don't show some use on there, they probably won't see any need to give you a CLI. But like you said, there are other cards with way better rewards!

USAA has already been relegated to the sock drawer. I don't even want to use it sparingly. If they don't give me CLI soon, they can join my ChaMu cards.

If you don't show some use on there, they probably won't see any need to give you a CLI. But like you said, there are other cards with way better rewards!

I maxed out the credit limit initially and paid off immediately. Asked for CLI twice but was declined.

Other people here got higher limits than me despite similar derogs and scores.

On the other hand, Penfed approved me for 10K the same day I applied to USAA and bumped it to 50K shortly after I maxed and PIF.

I'm glad to hear others are having better luck with USAA but they have been stingy with me.

I maxed out the credit limit initially and paid off immediately. Asked for CLI twice but was declined.

On the other hand, Penfed approved me for 10K the same day I applied to USAA and bumped it to 50K shortly after I maxed and PIF.

I'm glad to hear others are having better luck with USAA but they have been stingy with me.

Any idea why they are stingy with you?

USAA was tougher with me than Discover. Disover opening CL $10k, USAA opening CL $4k, both clean reports aside from 3 inquiries related to my mortgage. It seems YMMV.

USAA was tougher with me than Discover. Disover opening CL $10k, USAA opening CL $4k, both clean reports aside from 3 inquiries related to my mortgage. It seems YMMV.

That seems backwards from typical reports of initial limits.

That seems backwards from typical reports of initial limits.

It can be difficult to decipher USAA. As well as credit reports, they also consider the depth and breadth of your relationship with them as we'll as your military status and pay grade.

USAA is my second lowest limit card but I've never bothered to ask for a CLI as there are many better products out there. They were important in my rebuilding and I'm thankful for that.

You not the only one they are stingy with. I have the same strategy as you, heavy monthly use but always pay off before finance charges. I had $58,000 in c.c charges last year and about $300 in finance charges but they decided to lower my limit to $3500 from $9000 during their (February 2013) yearly review. After calling them and having a hard pull they raised it to $7600 @15.9%. Called NFCU this month, and they have me $15k @8.99% on a Platinum Mastercard and a few days later got Visa Signature Flagship Rewards 10k @ 9.99. Ive had USAA since 2007 but never had an auto CLI from them. USAA is great for other stuff but like chugs102 says, their World Mastercard is going to the sock drawer.

You not the only one they are stingy with. I have the same strategy as you, heavy monthly use but always pay off before finance charges. I had $58,000 in c.c charges last year and about $300 in finance charges but they decided to lower my limit to $3500 from $9000 during their (February 2013) yearly review. After calling them and having a hard pull they raised it to $7600 @15.9%. Called NFCU this month, and they have me $15k @8.99% on a Platinum Mastercard and a few days later got Visa Signature Flagship Rewards 10k @ 9.99. Ive had USAA since 2007 but never had an auto CLI from them. USAA is great for other stuff but like chugs102 says, their World Mastercard is going to the sock drawer.

Sorry to hear about that. It really sucks.

Was the review they did one for their entire portfolio or an annual review for individual member?

:huh: What were the $300 in finance charges for then?

The last post in this topic was posted 2757 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.