I think my reported Credit to Debt Ratio is Incorrect ( need assistance in understanding such Arcaic magic)

The last post in this topic was posted 3050 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

I pulled my Experian report today... I know i know, experian is the lesser of the 3 right, well it was free with my membership and i just wanted an update.

This is what i expected ( and to protect the innocent i am rounding off numbers here)

Had a car loan Origional limit was 23,000

> recently i had it paid to 16000

> I made a large payment of 13000

So my current balance is about 3000

So this is the major beef im encountering:

my credit report prior to this displayed my credit to debt ratio as 56%

I had assumed that after a large payment it would drop my percentage quite a bit because it was the bulk of my debt.

well when i pulled my new report is showed me my credit to debt as 54%.

I do have other accounts a few credit cards and 1 installment loan but i feel the credit to debt ratio should be far lower... here is why...

I added every account limit to show my full credit = about $40000

then i added all of my balances together (where a card was maxed i added the full limit) ... the total of this was 10000

as 10000/40000 is 25% shouldnt my credit to debt ratio be 25% not the 54% i see on te report.

With this i believe my credit score would get better because i am less in debt correct?

Please assist me if you can. All of this magical system algorithm of credit is killing me inside. I called experian and they had no idea what i was getting at

I may have to create a Master Thread on credit vs. debt, and limits vs. income.

Are you talking about DTI, which is Debt to Income, IOW, payments divided by monthly income?

Utilization Percentage is REVOLVING NOT INSTALLMENT balances divided by credit limits.

The last post in this topic was posted 3050 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CoverDrive
      http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2330942

There is a .pdf file to download. Lots of interesting info. The abstract is below.

Abstract:
      We analyze the effectiveness of consumer financial regulation by considering the 2009 Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act. We use a panel data set covering 160 million credit card accounts and a difference-in-differences research design that compares changes in outcomes over time for consumer credit cards, which were subject to the regulations, to changes for small business credit cards, which the law did not cover. We estimate that regulatory limits on credit card fees reduced overall borrowing costs by an annualized 1.6% of average daily balances, with a decline of more than 5.3% for consumers with FICO scores below 660. We find no evidence of an offsetting increase in interest charges or a reduction in the volume of credit. Taken together, we estimate that the CARD Act saved consumers $11.9 billion per year. We also analyze a nudge that disclosed the interest savings from paying off balances in 36 months rather than making minimum payments. We detect a small increase in the share of accounts making the 36-month payment value but no evidence of a change in overall payments.
    • By Recovery77
      I was looking at my credit reports today, and I noticed something odd on my EQ report. My date of birth has the wrong month. I was born in October (10) and EQ has my birth month as January (01). It is clear what happened, whoever input my data simply transposed the digits, turning a 10 into a 01.

That being said, it might also not be that simple of an error. Perhaps there is a tradeline that has January (wrong month) in my DOB and EQ updated my information on that tradeline's reported DOB.

Either way, this seems like an opportunity. Correct me if I am wrong, but if tradelines are disputed based on a "not mine" approach, could a mismatch in DOB be significant?

• By mistborn
      Hi guys,

My mother and I have the same first name and last name. I checked my EQ CR and there is a negative account on the report for Verizon. It says in comments " Collection Account, Account closed by credit grantor" There is no collection agency listed on the EQ CR. Now, I don't remember signing up for Verizon and this could be my mothers'. How do I go about disputing this? Should I send a validation letter to Verizon or to EQ telling them that account is not mine?
    • By mistborn
      Hi Guys,

I pulled my Experian credit report and I saw that a law office has been pulling my credit once a year for the past two years. It's to collect a debt I owe from 2009/2010. How can I stop them from doing this? Is there a way I can find out how much time is left on the SOL on the debt? Also, when I got this debt, I was not a legal resident in the United States but I am now.Can this help in making the validity of this debt slightly illegal? Does this change anything? I also pulled my Equifax credit report but it does not have this information on it. Is this normal?
    • By nikkih901
      A few weeks ago I started the initial dispute process for 3 medical collections that I discovered on my CBR from 2009 and 2013. Although I have not received an official response via mail from TU, I just logged in to my Credit Karma account and saw that one collection (reported by Central Financial Control) was updated on 12-26-14 as CLOSED. At this point, should I patiently wait for the mailed response to my dispute from TU or should I proceed with the next step and send the dispute letter to Central Financial Control now?

I know for a fact the account reported by CFC is invalid because a totally different CA is reporting the same account on both EQ and EX. Any advice will be appreciated!!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    TweetyG

Important Information

Guidelines