Sign in to follow this  
supercreditman

From riches to rags in 2012. It's time for a comeback in 2013!

Hi Dimitri,

Hey, thanks for asking....

I'm holding my own. It's a long, cold, winter here in Pa. I'm heating the 3 rooms I live in with propane heaters and buying the fuel @ Lowes, where I work.

I have my credit accounts heavily used, but I'm paying them dependably. I'm not having luck selling cars, which I used the credit to buy. Sigh!!! I'm still living in my home, but there's a 4sale sign on it. The bankruptcy trustee decided to list it with a realtor. I got my $1200 refund and immediately applied it to pay down a personal LOC, that way, it will be available again if I need to pay rent and security for an apartment.

And how are you doing?

SCM

Hi SCM! I have been following your thread and I'm glad to see you're holding it down. I have a quick question. Of all the credit unions you joined, did any if them turn out to be beneficial at all?

I'm holding my own. It's a long, cold, winter here in Pa. I'm heating the 3 rooms I live in with propane heaters and buying the fuel @ Lowes, where I work.

Being close to broke is bad enough, but when winter doesn't want to leave quietly the heating costs add up fast.

I'm in the Poconos. Supposed to get up to 46 today. Well here it is after 1:00 pm and it's still below freezing.

What credit unions were a success, credit wise?

USPS. They gave me a holiday loan of $3000.

UNFCU. They gave me a secured Visa which, as I stated, is being converted to an Azure card.

Navy Federal. They gave me a $6000 Visa and a $3000 checking LOC.

First Commonwealth. They gave me a $3000 personal LOC.

USAlliance. They gave me a debt consolidation loan of $5000 and a Visa card with a $3000 limit.

The rest denied all my apps. Sorry to disappoint you if you were expecting me to say that it was a total waste of time, effort, and money. That doesn't mean they will do that with you, but they were more picky. A lot of them are EQ pullers which I targeted for that reason, and my EQ is my worst report. I am in with them now so, I can apply the very second I get a window of opportunity, report and score wise. I don't regret establishing memberships with them. When I finally sell my vehicles, my scores will soar when I pay down the balances, and I will be in with some of them, and the rest will follow. I have too many inquiries on my EQ report now. There's 34. I put it on ice too, along with EX.

Of course, if I hadn't have bought the vehicles, and just kept building the credit, I'd probably have 3 times or more of it than where I'm stagnated.

SCM

I have a Penfed share savings, reestablished after the BK. They had me blocked from applying for credit. I just logged in and the block is lifted after 2 1/2 years. I had to call to change the contact phone number, and the rep invited me to apply for a Visa. We started the app, but I mentioned the BK and asked if they have a secured card. He said yes, and the funds have to be in the share at the time of application. I'm going to deposit $500 in the share and apply for the secured Penfed Visa. I used to have a $40,000 card and a $20,000 LOC with them, and the balances were settled by the BK., so I may get declined, but I'm going to give it a shot.

SCM

Oh, I forgot to mention. My reason for applying for a secured Penfed card will not only be to get re-established with them, but to request a goodwill deletion of negatives on my reports from the accounts I used to have prior to the BK once I'm back in credit wise.

SCM

Tis your season coming SCM. Those cars will sell soon with Spring and Summer around the corner. Keep your head up!

Glad to hear you are holding on. I picked up usalliance based on one of your posts. They gave me a 500 cc just this week, not great but I dont have any higher limits to use as a prybar. Hopefully things work out for you with the house situation, I am sure thats a stressful matter. My strategy is to wait til next month and apply for the venture card, it seems they are giving out nice approvals to others, it just might give me the leverage I need with some of the CU's getting higher limits. But my end goal is simple, just to have a couple of solid cards for everyday use and a strong credit file for business ventures in the future. Hope it all works out for you!

Dimitri,

UsAlliance isn't too difficult to get started with, if I was able to. Remember, multiple apps with the same CU, with most CU's anyway, are all on the inquiry for at least 30 days. I applied for the loan first, and then after it was funded, I applied for the credit card on the same inquiry. Navy and NRL I know will hit you hard with multiple inquiries, but I waited til my EX went back on ice before the US Alliance card app and I still got it. So, if they have a personal LOC or checking overdraft LOC , I'd apply, and possibly try a cli on the card by phone, specifying no additional hard pull.

I guess you used the shopping cart trick for the Comenity accounts. Keep trying for the Sportsmansguide Visa with the shopping cart trick. Mine started with a $1500 limit, which, at the time, was my highest.

SCM

I had a pretty good surprise today.

Back when I was a landlord, a landlord/tenant issue made me the owner of a sizable collection of Lionel trains that an auctioneer appraised at $14,000. An employee stole most of the collection and did jail time for a couple years. Meanwhile, the trains have been in the police station as evidence. The police dept just turned them over to me today. Even the police officer said they're definitely worth at least $5000.

SCM

Wow thats awesome news for you, I am sure thats very timely when I am sure you can use it! I am afraid to spook USAlliance by asking for too much too soon. But 500 cc really is a pain to manage every month vs something more usable. I do have a high income over 200k so I hope once I have several months good history with them they would open up a bit more.

Man, you never know what floats up after the sun heats that water up a little.

Have you and Joseph been introduced?

Edited by whipster

Joseph? I have no clue what you mean? I have a lousy sense of humor.

2 of my GE accounts had AR's and lowered the limits. SteinMart cut my limit by $825 and Old Navy, I think, by $400. I went in and hit the cli's on some of my GE accounts, including those, and I got CLI's right back up to where they were before somebody cut them. Phew! That was making things worse with my utilization. Plus, I applied for a CLI on my BOA secured and they said pay another $99 deposit & they'll increase it by $500 to $1000. Done.

SCM

SCM, I've read your thread over the past year. Glad to hear you're holding your own. Best of luck to you in 2015-hope those cars sell quick now that Spring is here.:)

in addition to the issues I have, I admit I have my head in my butt. I'm here alone in this house, or working in that store, and I'm lonely. I've always had a woman with me. I spend some of my time thinking of where I can go that will increase my chances of meeting someone, yet I don't have enough income to wine and dine them anyway. But, I'm looking for someone who is like me and isn't looking to be wined & dined, but to be ambitious and build an empire together. I am not ambitious because I don't want to be wealthy and alone or wealthy with a golddigger. I married a golddigger, and this is where I ended up because of it. I don't want to build a new empire again only to have a golddigger bleed me dry again in another divorce.

SCM

I here what you are saying. In 2007 my business went under, I lost everything. I went from making 700k a year to nothing. I lost everything and essentially became a hermit. I sat home for a year doing nothing watched tv all day grew a beard and just vegetated. A year later I started trying to make a come back. It was a tough 2 years after that. I met my wife in 2009 and I was struggling. I barely had enough money to take a bus to the office. She stuck by me through all of this being penniless. Now the past 3 years have been very solid income is getting back up over 200k now and I am thankful everyday that I met this amazing woman. She never judged me and believed that I knew what I was doing even when we had nothing. Funny how when you have nothing you can make 7 bucks stretch in a super market. I met her by chance amongst mutual friends I wasn't even looking as I figured I had nothing to offer or contribute to a stable relationship. It's just fate I guess. Don't get down I know your plight all too well!

Edited by dimitricredit

Hi SCM! Glad to hear about the trains! Maybe you can sell them and pay off some debt. Then you will be in great shape for some increases. My hubby and I are on the comeback as well after 200 crash and burn. It's been a rough 5 years but things turned around drastically last year and we are at the point with our businesses that we don't need any credit which we both know is the best time to rebuild! Keep hanging in there!!

Hey PerrysWoman,

Thanks, so much for the encouragement. The job at the Lowes store has me so depressed. I've been working 2-11PM every day. And it eats @ me more when I have to sell materials to guys that bought my properties for pennies on the dollar & rub it in how they are fixing them up. All I think about any more is what amounts I'm going to pay on what bills every other Thursday when I get my pay. Salads and BBQ chickens at Walmart, 2 for 1 burgers with coupons @ McDonalds. and stop for a couple beers and watch TV @ local tavern for $4 once in a while.

My scores seem like they are locked in place for months. They never fluctuate. Every day when I pull the full triple bureau thru CCMP, I keep hoping I'm going to see some positive change as a result of the minor improvements. Very frustrating.

Yes, about the rebuilding credit. Build the personal and don't use it. Establish biz charges that report to DNB & EX biz, and work your way up to biz credit cards, and if needed, use them for investment instead of the personal cuz they won't report to the personal credit unless you default on them. And you can get as many as you want without lenders saying you have too many new accounts or just too many accounts, or too much credit for your income, cuz they only know what personal credit you have for the personal guarantee.

SCM

I just realized that both of my secured cards are approaching their 1 year anniversary. That might be why UNFCU sent me the letter stating I would be receiving an Azure card within the coming weeks. I applied for the CLI on the BOA secured and recently sent an addtional $99 to increase it to $1000 limit. That card will be 1 year old in 2 weeks. From all I've been reading BOA dependably graduates secured cards in good standing to unsecured after exactly 1 year. Somebody said they go a letter congratulating them on the graduation. I wonder if the recent partially secured CLI will reset the clock and I'll have to wait 'til 1 year from the CLI.

SCM

I just realized that both of my secured cards are approaching their 1 year anniversary. That might be why UNFCU sent me the letter stating I would be receiving an Azure card within the coming weeks. I applied for the CLI on the BOA secured and recently sent an addtional $99 to increase it to $1000 limit. That card will be 1 year old in 2 weeks. From all I've been reading BOA dependably graduates secured cards in good standing to unsecured after exactly 1 year. Somebody said they go a letter congratulating them on the graduation. I wonder if the recent partially secured CLI will reset the clock and I'll have to wait 'til 1 year from the CLI.

SCM

I was able to get BOA to unsecure my $99/500 at the 7 month mark but it did take a hard pull.

Good to hear you're hanging in there.

I got a congratulation letter from BOA today right after my post about the CLI. For the CLI, I applied online and a hard on TU was done. I got the letter about the second $99 deposit. When I called, the rep said maybe they can graduate me, if I preferred. That was a second hard TU pull a couple days after the first one. He sounded like an Englishman. He declined both the unsecured app and the partially secured CLI stating high utilization and debt to income ratio. I called back a couple days later and spoke to a second rep, explaining everything and requesting he use the 2 existing pulls instead of pulling a 3rd time. He said that he will grant the CLI based on my good payment history, but stressed that I need to reduce my debt. So, as many have said, persistance pays off.

I'm waiting just a couple days 'til the First Commonwealth FCU LOC reports the new balance of $2200, down from $2950, which should help the score a point or 2. Then, I'll ACH money from there to USAA, and then to the Penfed savings, and go for the secured Penfed card. My plan would be to establish positive tradelines with the same creditors that have negatives on my reports. I may try for other CU's secured cards with CU's I joined last year. A year goes fast and then they will unsecure.

SCM

Why are you opening a secured card when you're carrying balances?

Just FYI, the PenFed secured card is not a rebuolder card like most secured cards.

I also hope you know that B* is dead. It might be wise to cancel the credit monitoring services until your balances are PIF.

Edit: for example...

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=456635

Edited by mendelssohn

Hey everybody! I hope you all have a Happy Easter!

I am still waiting for my new UNFCU Azure card to arrive. In UNFCU banking, both the classic and Azure are listed. All balances are transferred from the classic to the Azure, and the classic is show as $1000 available credit. I wonder if I have the option of keeping both open? They are totally different account numbers.

And, my BOA secured is days away from it's 1 year anniversary. There are many posts where people got their security deposit check in the mail and BOA automatically converted their secured card to unsecured. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SCM

I had a pretty good surprise today.

Back when I was a landlord, a landlord/tenant issue made me the owner of a sizable collection of Lionel trains that an auctioneer appraised at $14,000. An employee stole most of the collection and did jail time for a couple years. Meanwhile, the trains have been in the police station as evidence. The police dept just turned them over to me today. Even the police officer said they're definitely worth at least $5000.

SCM

SCM,

What do you plan to do with the trains E-Bay them or?