From riches to rags in 2012. It's time for a comeback in 2013!

The last post in this topic was posted 1480 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I am absolutely fascinated by this thread! What fascinates me are the opinions and judgements about people's beliefs and knowledge.

Being open to new possibilities (vs holding on tightly to what we think we know) is one of the pillars of the evolution of humanity.

Sometimes we forget that the Finance and Credit Industry is a "game" just like basketball and does help to know the rules but as in all games there are no points for defense.

Respectfully I would like to remind everyone with the partial list below that anything is possible:

Went Bankrupt, Now Worth Millions!

I was once told that you aren’t a true entrepreneur if you haven’t gone bankrupt at least once! Well Walt Disney shows us how its done, he was fired by a newspaper editor because “he lacked imagination and had no good ideas.” He went bankrupt several times before he built Disneyland. In fact, the proposed park was rejected by the city of Anaheim on the grounds that it would only attract riffraff.

Short List of Entrepreneurs Who Went Bankrupt

Name Birthdate Profession Bankruptcy Date Eventual Net Worth
Henry Ford
July 30, 1863 Founder of Ford Motor 1903 $188,000,000,000
Donald Trump

June 14, 1946 Real Estate Developer 1990 $3,000,000,000
Walt Disney

December 5, 1901 Founder of Disney 1921 $1,100,000,000
Anna Nicole Smith

November 28, 1967 Model, Actress 1996 $450,000,000
H.J. Heinz

October 11, 1844 Founder of Heinz 1875 $400,000,000
George Foreman

January 5, 1949 Boxer/Grill Spokesman 1983 $300,000,000
Bob Guccione

December 17, 1930 Founder of Penthouse 2003 $400,000,000
Kim Basinger

December 8, 1953 Actress 1993 $250,000,000
Clarence Saunders

August 9, 1881 Founder of Piggly Wigglies
(Now Safeway) 1922 $180,000,000
Milton Hershey

September 13, 1857 Founder of Hershey 1880 $150,000,000
Larry King

November 19, 1933 News Anchor 1978 $144,000,000
William C. Durant

December 8, 1861 Founder of GM and Chevrolet 1936 $120,000,000
Ulysses S. Grant

April 27, 1822 President 1881 $95,100,000
Francis Ford Coppola

April 7, 1939 Film Director 1990 $67,400,000
Isaac Hayes

August 20, 1942 Singer, Actor 1976 $50,000,000
MC Hammer

March 30, 1962 Rapper 1996 $33,000,000
Wayne Newton

April 3, 1942 Singer, Actor 1992 $30,000,000
Burt Reynolds

February 11, 1936 Actor 1996 $30,000,000

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really do wonder how our SCM is doing......

Yes, that was unfortunate.

Just wondering how SCM is doing

I attempted to join Logix yesterday, but the rep said I did not live in an eligible state.

Unless Logix's policies have changed in the last few weeks, I'm not sure what happened there.

I joined from a state not listed on their page. My loan officer specifically said anyone from any state can join as long as they join some free nonprofit thing and deposit $5 into the share account.

Here's the table I was sent:

raz4eu.png

I applied for Logix membership last week, I live in New York and I got a call from them a few hours after submitting my application, they told me I was not eligible for membership, New York is a state they no longer accept applications from, unless I have a referral from a current member. Needless to say, I don't have a referral so my application got declined, including a 15K pre approval for their credit card. They changed the rules on what states they do business in starting 1st of December, so those of you that got in before that, you're lucky... Or if you find someone to give you a referral, anyone can join...

Edited by cezarius30

I attempted to join Logix yesterday, but the rep said I did not live in an eligible state.

Unless Logix's policies have changed in the last few weeks, I'm not sure what happened there.

I joined from a state not listed on their page. My loan officer specifically said anyone from any state can join as long as they join some free nonprofit thing and deposit $5 into the share account.

raz4eu.png

I applied for Logix membership last week, I live in New York and I got a call from them a few hours after submitting my application, they told me I was not eligible for membership, New York is a state they no longer accept applications from, unless I have a referral from a current member. Needless to say, I don't have a referral so my application got declined, including a 15K pre approval for their credit card. They changed the rules on what states they do business in starting 1st of December, so those of you that got in before that, you're lucky... Or if you find someone to give you a referral, anyone can join...

What do you need in a referral? I am a member.

raz4eu.png

If I recall correctly you need full name and possibly Logix member number if the name is common. (I.e.; John Smith).

It sounds like things have changed there, but when I joined there was a $25 bonus to referrer and the referred.

raz4eu.png

If you're handing them out.....

<-----This guy would love to have one. :wave:

The person I spoke to last week from Logix that called me to tell me that I can't be a member because I live in New York, told me that if I were to have a referral from an existing member, I could get in. He also told me that the rules have changed starting 1st of December, so not too long ago. They only accept members directly from the states listed on their website, applicants from other states, need to have a referral from an existing member. This is the info that I"ve got, I don't know if it's entirely accurate or not.

Man, oh Man, am I lucky Logix gave me that loan. Pa isn't on their list anymore. I joined in Lockheed in 2004, so I've been in their system for 10 years. I guess that's why they didn't hassle me. They are an answered prayer.

Sorry some of you guys can't get in, but there's tons of others we can join.

I am itching to pull the trigger, but I'm holding off at least until the Tobyhanna inquiry 'b's off of TU. Plus the card paydown I did is helping lower the utilization and up the score. But some accounts won't report until the end of the month. Plus, I'll try to apply for something from Grow and NRL since I already have the inquiries on EQ, but I have to wait until I get the member info.

I wish I could get the popups you guys are getting on total rewards and fuel rewards for the no hard cards but my EQ is too rough, and I think that's the one they're softing.

PCM

I wish I could get the popups you guys are getting on total rewards and fuel rewards for the no hard cards but my EQ is too rough, and I think that's the one they're softing.

PCM

The popups don't necessarily mean you won't get a hard pull. I got the pre approval popup on both the Total Rewards and the Fuel Rewards Network but I was hit with a hard pull on both as well. For Total Rewards Visa I actually got two hard pulls, one when I applied and one when I received the card and called for a CLI. I wasn't thrilled with the initial credit limit they gave me, called for CLI and I got another hard pull, increase was approved. They do use Equifax.

Cezarius....I think I'll pass on those 2 then, for now. When some of these CU's are reviewing my reports, they say that the Sportsman'sguide Visa is coded as a charge card, not a credit card. And some of the monitoring I use says I have only 4 credit cards, not 5, because they don't class the SGV as a credit card. And I have like 23 EQ inquiries right now.

Everybody else,....

NRL did open my membership cuz they debited the $5 from my credit card. No sign of account funding from Grow yet.

Grow is busting my balls. I sent them the ID, DL, and SS card by email yesterday. I just called to see how the app is going, and the rep told me they will be emailing me asking for additional info.

Man, that's a lot to ask to just open a simple savings account.

I just spent a couple hours putting most of my new CU accounts into USAA's non-USAA account manager so I can monitor the balances without having to login into each account individually. Everything can be monitored from 1 place. I'm sure several of these CU's have the same feature built into their online banking, but I'm sticking with USAA for now.

PCM

Wow Newbie, I just looked at the Mint website. That looks great! The only drawback I quickly noticed is you can't move money. You can only look. With USAA, I can ACH funds in and out after I set each one of the accounts up to do that. That's another time consuming phase that involves trial deposit verification. But, I'm going to set Mint up and try it. Thanks for the tip!

PCM

The only issue I found with mint, it was about a week behind on updating the status and amounts of the accounts.

Weird, I've found Mint to be up-to-the-minute usually. Sometimes I have to manually kick off a full refresh if it gets confused. It can also have trouble with some sites that use more esoteric login schemes.

I really like Mint too, but it felt a little weird giving up all of my login information to a third party. That said, Mint is owned by Intuit, the TurboTax people. Since I use TT to file my taxes, figured they're as trustworthy as any corporation is likely to be. :P

Bear in mind that Mint is a free service, and as such you are not the customer, you are the product. Expect to get some advertising on the site and in email for financial products.

Edited to add: Mint also has great mobile apps, if you want to check your balances on the go.

Edited by paladin

Grow is busting my balls. I sent them the ID, DL, and SS card by email yesterday. I just called to see how the app is going, and the rep told me they will be emailing me asking for additional info.

Man, that's a lot to ask to just open a simple savings account.

I applied for Grow membership as well, about 3 weeks ago, very slow process, I called in a few times to see if it was moving along, all I saw online for the status of the app was "referred". I sent them copies of everything also, they pulled a hard on Equifax yesterday, I looked online today to see the status again and I saw I was declined. Called in to ask why, they said could not confirm my identity, to go and apply in a branch. The guy I talked to, was kind of an salamander, so my experience with them wasn't all that great.

I sent Grow the following message about my membership application.....

"Hello Grow Financial..I don't want to be a complainer, but 23 days is a pretty long time to take to open a saving account. There are banks that you can open a savings account online in a couple minutes....However, I don't want a bank. I want to do business with Grow. Try to imagine how this looks from my end, for just a second. I'm sure anybody, including yourself, would question things by now. Anyways, keep "working" on my application. Maybe you'll have a decision by next Christmas!!!!!" PCM

Let me guess..This will get me a decline letter....

PCM

Ok. Here's another pretty easy to join CU. I got it from the 100 open membership CU's thread. Northrop Grumman. They have 23 branches throughout the country. I thought it would be a no-go, cuz it uses the Andera applicant screening system. Guess what? I passed the ID test! And, no rejection because of ChexSystem. Remember, my EX is back to being frozen again, and I just completed this app and was told I will get my welcome packet in a couple of days. So I'm not sure which one they pulled a soft on, but the security questions were super easy. Supposedly you have to join the Historical Aircraft Society, but I have a feeling it's worth spending the money to get into this CU.

PCM

Ok. Here's another pretty easy to join CU. I got it from the 100 open membership CU's thread. Northrop Grumman. They have 23 branches throughout the country. I thought it would be a no-go, cuz it uses the Andera applicant screening system. Guess what? I passed the ID test! And, no rejection because of ChexSystem. Remember, my EX is back to being frozen again, and I just completed this app and was told I will get my welcome packet in a couple of days. So I'm not sure which one they pulled a soft on, but the security questions were super easy. Supposedly you have to join the Historical Aircraft Society, but I have a feeling it's worth spending the money to get into this CU.

PCM

I was looking at the ACC website and found the GNO Federal Credit Union...Looks promising...

The last post in this topic was posted 1480 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.