Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Washington, DC hotels???

The last post in this topic was posted 2768 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

DD and I are going to Washington, DC in June....

we're looking for hotels near the Lincoln Memorial, National Air and Space Museum, etc...

we're looking at two in particular (but are open to suggestions)

the Embassy Suites, Dupont Circle ...and Residence Inn by Marriott, Washington DC Capitol

Anyone have any opinions/other suggestions?

didn't you post this , like, a few months ago?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/dc-visitors-guide.html

do you have google earth installed?

zoom in on where you want to stay - there's a sidebar that will allow you to search for businesses - type in hotels.

and you can use street view to check it out.

yeah...but I was wondering if people had experience with the specific hotels we had found...

we ended up booking the Residence Inn

Thanks all, I'll be careful and stick to the "nice" streets...at least I'll try.....although one of the reasons I haven't been on here much lately is training ;)

but, since I'll be with my little girl....can't be too safe...

Try the Courtyard Dupont

Another suggestion is to stay in VA (Arlington, Alexandria) near a metro.

Hotels are a bit cheaper and the metro is very easy to use.

The metro offers a $14.00 one day pass.

Or a $5 SmartTrip card + $57.50 7-day pass. If you're here more than 4 days, it's cheaper to get the 7 day pass.

and try to keep out the way of commuters...a little know secret is they really hate having to battle tourists when trying to get to/from work..

My 15 year old daughter is going to D.C. in June, also, with her Girl Scout troop. I don't know which hotel they are staying at yet though. They went to Chicago in the summer of 2011, and did great, so I'm sure they'll be fine in D.C.

I don't have any hotel suggestions, but I hope you and your daughter have a great trip!

Edited by RedHairedLady

When I was in DC last year I stayed at the Mayflower Renaissance (Marriot) near Dupont Circle. It is about 1 block from the metro red line. I thought it was a very nice hotel for the price.

I booked my stay through expedia or hotels.com and it was about $100 for a 2 bed. Remember to budget parking fees into your stay.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28970-d84096-Reviews-The_Mayflower_Renaissance_Washington_DC_Hotel-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

Love DC. So much history.

A colleague about 20 years ago related a DC story. Several years after he and his wife had graduated from college they got an email from an old friend they had lost touch with inviting them to stay with her in DC where she now worked. She asked them for their DL info saying that she might be able to get tickets for some of the harder to get into places. While slightly curious, they provided the info and didn't think much more about it. Some time later they went to visit their friend and bunked in her small DC apartment. They saw a few sights and, at one point, the friend gets a call then announced she has to leave and, BTW, would they like to see the White House? Sure so they quickly get ready while their friend pulls out an Uzi which rather disturbed them until ....

Turns out the friend was Secret Service and on the presidential protection detail. She took them to the WH, got them checked in and tagged as visitors and they got a front row seat as the Air Force One helicopter was returning with Reagan from Camp David. She had used their info to get them pre-cleared. I'm sure things are a bit tighter these days.

I was born in DC but my parents moved when I was still a small child. But I remember some things about it and we would go back and visit every so often. There is a nearly unending amount of stuff to see there. It's kind of magical.

Or a $5 SmartTrip card + $57.50 7-day pass. If you're here more than 4 days, it's cheaper to get the 7 day pass.

well, we'll be there from Monday-Friday....so we'll probably get the 7 day pass....although we'll be staying close to the National Mall (at Residence Inn)

What about the "short trip pass"?

http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/store/

I don't know how much the fares would be from places like our hotel (333 E STREET SW) to where we're going ot go (national mall, Capitol building, LoC, Zoo, Aquarium, etc)

I don't know how much the fares would be from places like our hotel (333 E STREET SW) to where we're going ot go (national mall, Capitol building, LoC, Zoo, Aquarium, etc)

With good footwear, should be able to navigate by foot..

You can probably get away with that one.

If you want to go somewhere at a higher fare you can always plan it around those hours if you don't want to pay the extra.

But if you mainly stay near The Mall you probably won't go over the limit, or won't very often.

You can always look up fares ahead of time on that site.

With good footwear, should be able to navigate by foot..

well, I'm not much of a walker if I can avoid it....I'm too impatient... :)

The last post in this topic was posted 2768 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.