Sign in to follow this  
jjman

AMEX - Goodwill - Any Ideas?

Question for anyone with AMEX experience.

I have been a cardholder with AMEX since 1980. Just use the Platinum card. Last year I had an issue with my bank (account was hacked - COMPLETE MESS) - anyway it resulted in 2 missed payment on my card - so I have a 30 and 60 late.

I have never missed a payment in the 32+ years I have been with them. I wrote a nice long letter and sent it to AMEX corporate in NY - asking for them to remove the late payments since it was a situation that was out of my hands - and since I have never missed a payment in over 30 years.

I just received a generic letter form them saying "if you wish to dispute your account send a written request to the 3 credit bureaus"

I didn't say I was disputing - It was a very detailed letter.

Should I just call and try to get some answers over the phone? I just don't want to do something to ruin the chances of getting it cleaned up. I don't want to dispute it because they were in fact late and I don't wantto risk getting the account closed.

If ANYONE has had a positive experience getting a goodwill adjustment from AMEX I owuld love to hear how you did it.

THANKS!

The goodwill letter I sent them didn't mention disputing at all - and the response was so generic. I asked for a goodwill adjustment to remove the 2 lates simply because the events that caused them were 100% out of my hands - and the fact that I never missed a payment is 32+ years with AMEX.

Hoping someone had had luck with them and a goodwill adjustment...

I called the number on my CR and spoke to a CSR who removed 2 charged off accounts (that were paid). That was about a year ago. Just told her that I was applying for a mortgage....

Good Luck!!

Does your bank back you up that your account was hacked ? if so they should be able to pride AMEX, the CRs info to help your situation.

Does your bank back you up that your account was hacked ? if so they should be able to pride AMEX, the CRs info to help your situation.

Yeah I have a letter from my banker on branch letterhead. I included a copy of that with the goodwill letter sent to AMEX corp offices in NY. That is why I was surprised that I get a generic "if you want to dispute your account contact the credit bureaus" response...

I would call the exec offices and then have a contact to send a physical letter too. one question will be is, why didn't you catch this after the 1st late..

I would call the exec offices and then have a contact to send a physical letter too. one question will be is, why didn't you catch this after the 1st late..

Long story...but I was overseas on business...I have had autobill since they first offered it. Like clockwork - bill was just auto paid each month. After the first late they never called, no account alerts, the card still charged - then about 45 days into it I got a call - at that time realized something was wrong - took over 20 days to get sorted and at that time the 60 day hit.

Spoke to about a dozen different reps from platinum cust service and nobody seems to have any idea - maybe i'll send another letter - but this time send it fed ex or something....maybe that will get extra attentions...who knows...