Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Death of lease holder

The last post in this topic was posted 2870 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi,

My dad leased a 32K ford car and died after making 6 payments. I live at the address and Ford is asking me to payoff the car (it is 27K) to finish the lease off. They asked for my personal info on the phone, I was pretty aggravated at the time and I stupidly did. My dad left no estate and all I own is a 97 Ford Thunderbird and a 96 Explorer. I'm concerned that are going to going to take those vehicles. Ford credit asked about the vehicles I own.

I'm wondering now if they can put this on my credit report and if they can collect from me?

I ended up arguing with them to the point that I told ford it was not my fault, he was supposed to stop smoking and eating massive amounts of fast food didn't, I jokingly said I wouldn't have given him the car. they don't care in the least. I pay all my bills on time and have a great credit score, I hope I don't get ruined for my stupidity at the time of loss. Now when they call they ask for me. I really don't want to bother with this because I had nothing to do with the purchase. Should I just ignore it? Will they just repo the car and leave me alone?

As long as you are not on the loan, there is nothing they can do. It is not your responsibility. There is usually a clause in the lease/loan paperwork that states that death of the borrower is a default of the agreement, and the vehicle should be returned to them. Just give them the car back.

What Marv said. You're going to need a bunch of copies of his death certificate for stuff like this. In most states you will have to get official "original" copies from the county, those will have a stamped seal. Simple photocopies are not legally binding.

No estate, just tell them to come get the car. You cannot be obligated to contracts that you did not sign.

Edited by mk_378

Thanks, I will forward the death certificate. No one there mentioned to do that, I spoke to 3 people.

I don't like the way they were saying I should pay though. They implied household members are responsible. They said if you are listed as a driver in the household you should pay.

He is the one who signed.

Thanks, I will forward the death certificate. No one there mentioned to do that, I spoke to 3 people.

I don't like the way they were saying I should pay though. They implied household members are responsible. They said if you are listed as a driver in the household you should pay.

He is the one who signed.

When my dad passed away 8 years ago, my brother and mother who lived with him kept getting calls from bill collectors trying to collect on debts that my dad had been solely responsible for. Debtors can't come after you for any debts that you didn't sign for. They can only go after the deceased person's estate. And if your dad didn't have any assets, there's nothing to come after. I'm sorry for your loss, by the way.

Seems like money and fictitious things (in all actuality) are becoming more important than family here...

If your dad had no assets, and you didn't co-sign anything, you're responsible for nothing...

In fact, you shouldn't have to return the car. They should come get it. It's their responsibility. You have nothing to do with it.

I keep getting robo calls from ford credit. I can't block #s with the oldschool phone. Now they said to bring the car to the dealership. I am not going to do that because it is 20 miles away and I have no one to take me back during their hours. The car is in perfect condition and I see cars like it that are sold on the lot for almost the price they want, so they have little loss in my eyes. My neighbor also said if the car was totaled without insurance at this point it wouldn't be my problem.

If I get another call from them I'm going to call the ford 800# and have it towed to the dealer, I'll say it has an intermittent mechanical problem and don't want to drive it to the dealer, is that a good idea? The car has a computer/bad valve body or trans issue anyway when it shifts from 2-3. I don't want to be haunted by calls for a month until they decide to repo it.

I am also NOT SIGNING anything.This could be a trick to get me on the hook for the car. They told me I may have to sign some papers at the dealer. The other option is I may drive it till they repo it.

Thanks for the great advice. I learned a lot about credit. I did research also for his other bills and found out without an estate there is nothing to take! Even if there was money, there is also about $25K that is exempt from the estate and immediately goes to family. A secured debt like a car lease is very low importance in an estate even if there are funds.

But I guess there will always be collectors trying to score.

Don't do anything with the car. Just let it sit, after you have informed them of the location. You are under NO LEGAL obligation to deliver it. They will try to coerce you to bring it in, at which point they will try to get you to take over payments. As stated before, if you are not a signing party on the lease, you are not legally responsible for it.

I keep getting robo calls from ford credit. I can't block #s with the oldschool phone. Now they said to bring the car to the dealership. I am not going to do that because it is 20 miles away and I have no one to take me back during their hours. The car is in perfect condition and I see cars like it that are sold on the lot for almost the price they want, so they have little loss in my eyes. My neighbor also said if the car was totaled without insurance at this point it wouldn't be my problem.

If I get another call from them I'm going to call the ford 800# and have it towed to the dealer, I'll say it has an intermittent mechanical problem and don't want to drive it to the dealer, is that a good idea? The car has a computer/bad valve body or trans issue anyway when it shifts from 2-3. I don't want to be haunted by calls for a month until they decide to repo it.

You're overthinking this. Like others have said, since you're not a signatory to the lease, your obligation to Ford is zero. I would tell you not to waste the first-class postage sending them a death certificate, but who knows, that might make the phone calls stop. Otherwise, tell Ford to come get the car and wash your hands of it. Don't burden yourself with something that isn't your problem.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this at what I know must be a difficult time.

Edited by Dr. Dolemite

I'm sorry for your loss.

You have no obligation to do anything. I would do nothing. When they want it bad enough, they will come get it. Just send them the death certificate and move forward with the other things you must be dealing with.

The last post in this topic was posted 2870 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.