Sign in to follow this  
tl923

Ohio Banks/Credit Unions that don't use Chexsystems

I am on Chexsystems but I am paying off my debt to the other bank but I need to open a new account because of my paycheck is direct deposit plus I am trying to start over. My question is what banks or credit unions do not use chexsystems? My zip code is 45503. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

If you go to the Chex Systems Victims website, you can sign up for a free account, and get a list of banks and credit unions in Ohio that don't use Chex. I live in Ohio too, but in northeast Ohio - looks like you're farther south. I just opened an account with a credit union here in the Cleveland area (Cardinal Community Credit Union), and they have a second chance checking account for people who are on Chex Systems. I thought my husband and I might be on Chex, but I got our reports, and we're not, so we were able to open a regular checking account. I imagine there must be other credit unions in Ohio that offer similar second chance accounts.

I have a client that's been with Woodforest for several years.

I personally know that PNC, US Bank, and Huntington Bank will ignore a ChexSystems entry. Hell, you are paying on yours. That's even more solid.

I have trying signing up for Check Systems Victims site but I still don't have access to it so I can't look at what they have. Huntington Bank did run a check on me on Check Systems and got turned down. I think I prefer credit unions more than banks but I am open to anything. I really don't want checks, I just want an account to pay bills via a card.

I have trying signing up for Check Systems Victims site but I still don't have access to it so I can't look at what they have. Huntington Bank did run a check on me on Check Systems and got turned down. I think I prefer credit unions more than banks but I am open to anything. I really don't want checks, I just want an account to pay bills via a card.

Have you tried the International Harvester Employee Credit Union? I posted a link above. I found them on the Chex Systems Victims' Ohio list. Their website says about eligibility:

• You live, work,

worship or attend school within

Clark,

Champaign,

Montgomery,

Madison,

Greene, Logan,

Union, and

Miami Counties in Ohio.

• You or a family member is employed by one of our member companies.
  • You are a retiree of one of our member companies.
  • Select employee groups made up of individuals associated through employment,

or other organizational affiliation.

• Members of the families of any current member of IHECU.
  • You don't have to work for IH.

It looks like they have a "Fresh Start" checking account for people on Chex Systems.

THis may or may not help, but do NOT apply to Cooper State Bank in Columbus, Ohio. They rely upon and DO use Chex. :angry:

Kemba Credit Union

• Account opening is subject to verification by ChexSystems, a consumer reporting agency, other third party verifications and Credit Union approval.

Just a heads up was looking into Kemba and thats on their join page.

If you go to the Chex Systems Victims website, you can sign up for a free account, and get a list of banks and credit unions in Ohio that don't use Chex. I live in Ohio too, but in northeast Ohio - looks like you're farther south. I just opened an account with a credit union here in the Cleveland area (Cardinal Community Credit Union), and they have a second chance checking account for people who are on Chex Systems. I thought my husband and I might be on Chex, but I got our reports, and we're not, so we were able to open a regular checking account. I imagine there must be other credit unions in Ohio that offer similar second chance accounts.

I have a client that's been with Woodforest for several years.

I personally know that PNC, US Bank, and Huntington Bank will ignore a ChexSystems entry. Hell, you are paying on yours. That's even more solid.

As of today 12/31/2013

US bank charges 6.95 a month for no paper statements (8.95 with paper statements) the fee is waived if you have direct deposits over $1,500 a months

Cardinal is $8.95 a month no matter what and you need direct deposit

Why must the CU be in Ohio? Members 1st in Pa is open to anyone that joins American Consumer Council and I have my Chexsystem report. They didn't pull Chex to approve my new membership.

SCM

@supercreditman For Member !st CU did you open both checking and savings or only savings? And how long after joining ACC did you apply for membership with memeber 1st? Thanks

Sorry about the field of membership mixup with Members 1st. When you join online you can select to join 3 nonprofit associations. I joined the Antique Auto Club during the online membership app.

SCM

Whatever you do, do NOT use Cooper Savings Bank or Cooper State Bank (?) in/around (?) Columbus, OH. THEY USE CHEX!!! And duped me into applying in 2009.

Edited by rslifkin

I have both the checking and savings with Members 1st.

I don't know how bad your Chex is, but mine has 1 entry from National Penn bank in Pa. and it has gotten me declined form membership at 16 credit unions I applied for in the last couple weeks. However, on the other hand, it has not prevented me from joining over a dozen in the last couple weeks.

PCM

what other cu have u been able to join and what was ur eligibility? Also i think you applying for so many accounts at one time maybe a reason my some were decline not sure but any information on other cu would be appreciated.

Some financial institutions will flag a lot of inquiries, as Chexsystems keeps them on file for two years.

Before applying, It is always best to call new accounts at a bank or credit union and find out what approval systems they use.
They may have changed the process since they were recommended.

Thanks for your advice but i rather take advice from individuals off this forum then believe anything a rep from one of those call center tell me, because the truth of matter is most of them working there have no clue what they are talking about most of the time and i always seem to find myself telling them the difference between a chexsystems report and a credit report, some think it's the samething.....SMH

I understand your point, but banks change their policies.

When verifying, I generally call and try to speak with two different individuals. I tell them I'm applying for a new account and want to know what approval system they use. Just takes a few minutes and saves gas or a frustrating denial. A denial is still an inquiry in your Chexsystems file.

We can post on here they only run Telecheck, for example, but banks and credit unions merge - or change their loss prevention systems.

They may not run Chexsystems today, but may contract with them next week, etc.

Edited by tmcgill

I know Huntington reports to Chex, but I'm not sure if they require a clean history to open an account. They are a great bank and they have branches in Springfield. I suggest calling them to see if they would accept you.

US Bank was once a big Chex-friendly bank in Ohio. Unfortunately, they no longer have a completely free account. Mine is a free student checking account with no fees, but it may be difficult to get one of those accounts if you're not a student.

@SCM i receive my account info from Members 1st yesterday and they received my initial deposit yesterday as well. when i applied for membership i didn't notice the option for applying for a checking account, did you have to mail in your application for your checking account? I mail mines yesterday hopefully it get's approved, savings is all open and funded.